Which VR headset do you use for sim racing poll?

I use Oculus Tray tool I also still let it use Steam VR rather than OpenVR but I have the SS setting in Steam set to 1.0 but in the Tray Tool set it to 1.5.
I would also recommend using the following extract it to the desktop then find( C:\Program Files\Oculus) and rename your Oculus folder (Oculus Big) then drop this folder into your program files if you want to switch back rename this Oculus Small and switch the other folder back to just Oculus.
This made a massive diffrence for me after the updates to Oculus a few months back it was a stuttering mess for me at points till I found the Small solution.

Aha, this is the stripped down version of the old oculus software. I came across this months ago, but was a bit afraid of it, as my games were running ok. Then, a week or 2 ago, @RainhamIron recommended it to me. I was gonna take a peak during the holiday period, but I forgot. Maybe this evening, after the MX5 race.
Cheers fella. :thumbsup: :D

I think a PCI USB expansion card will be better suited for VR headset over a hub. I'm using this one: https://amzn.to/2SxTe4P. Both my HTC Vive and Lenono Explorer are plugged into this expansion card.
Wow, you run both headsets on the one PC. I thought the advice was to install only one at a time, to rule out the possibility of conflicts.
I know, I'm quivering scardey cat. After my recent experience of a fresh Windows install, I'm :poop: scared to rock the boat. :roflmao:

Wow, you run both headsets on the one PC. I thought the advice was to install only one at a time, to rule out the possibility of conflicts.
I know, I'm quivering scardey cat. After my recent experience of a fresh Windows install, I'm :poop: scared to rock the boat. :roflmao:

So both are always plugged in at the same time. However, My Vive can be switched off at the socket (it's mains powered). On the Lenovo which is USB powered, I've added an inline USB switch, effectively allowing me to power it off. So I can basically turn on/off depending on which HMD I want to use. The bigger problem is the single HDMI on the GPU so I had to find a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that worked. I didn't want to constantly swap the plugs around, hence this setup.

Last edited:
So both are always plugged in at the same time. However, My Vive can be switched off at the socket (it's mains powered). On the Lenovo which is USB powered, I've added an inline USB switch, effectively allowing me to power it off. So I can basically turn on/off depending on which HMD I want to use. The bigger problem is the single HDMI on the GPU so I had to find a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that worked. I didn't want constantly swap the plugs around, hence this setup.
I'm guessing that you prefer one HMD to the other in different sims/games?

OK thanks.
The more I hear about it, the more I wanna switch to Lenovo (I only play sims).

It's a really great headset for sim racing. Honestly, if you're not doing anything but sim racing in VR it's best HMD in my opinion. The increased resolution is really nice and you do notice it's a sharper image. If you already have a Vive or Rift, that's a difficult one to answer, if it's worth swapping over? The Vive is quite bulky so I think the difference in comfort is more pronounced than the Rift I would think.

The only downer on the Lenovo and the other entry-level WMR headsets is the fixed IPD which may not suit everybody.

About USB 3.0 stuff.

I was having recognizing and connecting issues with my Lenovo Explorer, believing it was the cable or USB connectors. Check the following:
  • Ensure you have on your BIOS USB 3.0 legacy mode or equivalent DISABLED. My headset was not recognized until I set this.
  • Use the Windows High Performance energy plan, and once there, check on the advanced energy configuration your USB configuration have the selective suspension mode to DISABLE.
It looks like the headset is sensitive to any energy mode savings. After these settings were applied, the headset worked flawless.

The only downer on the Lenovo and the other entry-level WMR headsets is the fixed IPD which may not suit everybody.
I think my IPD is around 63/64 so I should be ok.
About USB 3.0 stuff.

I was having recognizing and connecting issues with my Lenovo Explorer, believing it was the cable or USB connectors. Check the following:
  • Ensure you have on your BIOS USB 3.0 legacy mode or equivalent DISABLED. My headset was not recognized until I set this.
  • Use the Windows High Performance energy plan, and once there, check on the advanced energy configuration your USB configuration have the selective suspension mode to DISABLE.
It looks like the headset is sensitive to any energy mode savings. After these settings were applied, the headset worked flawless.
I set the USB suspension to off in Device manager, but I didn't check in Bios yet. Thanks.
I don't have a problem with connection, as such, but when I connect my HMD to USB, it shows in Oculus software as USB2.0. I have to plug/unplug a few times till it shows USB 3.

Also, in device manager, if I leave the HMD connected before I boot the PC up, eventually I get an error "the last USB device you plugged in... etc." and the top item in the list under USB (um.. I think it's high speed USB something or other), shows a yellow triangle. I have to uninstall the USB post (or whatever it is) and restart, and then scan for hardware changes. I read somewhere that Oculus does not get along very well with my MOBO????? Asus Z97P.

All of this just extra faffing around, for a headset which is pretty taxing on my system and giving a sub optimal picture quality. So yeh, I think I'd like to try swapping HMDs before spending big bucks on a MOBO bundle upgrade.

While I didn't have USB 3.0 issues you better check if your MB got issues.
Otherwise an pci e card would be an easy solution.
Also be aware that you need to run Windows 10 to use the WMR.
Last but equal important measure you IPD.
I am 63,5 mm which is pretty much perfect for the basic WMR. A friend is 67 mm and it is not working for him!
Also be aware that you will get 60% more pixels. Which is great but your system also need to be able to handle that extra load!
That said i find the Lenovo HMD to be great for race and flight sims.

I set the USB suspension to off in Device manager, but I didn't check in Bios yet. Thanks.
I don't have a problem with connection, as such, but when I connect my HMD to USB, it shows in Oculus software as USB2.0. I have to plug/unplug a few times till it shows USB 3.

Also, in device manager, if I leave the HMD connected before I boot the PC up, eventually I get an error "the last USB device you plugged in... etc." and the top item in the list under USB (um.. I think it's high speed USB something or other), shows a yellow triangle. I have to uninstall the USB post (or whatever it is) and restart, and then scan for hardware changes. I read somewhere that Oculus does not get along very well with my MOBO????? Asus Z97P.

All of this just extra faffing around, for a headset which is pretty taxing on my system and giving a sub optimal picture quality. So yeh, I think I'd like to try swapping HMDs before spending big bucks on a MOBO bundle upgrade.

I was on a kind oldy ASUS E6771_P8Z68-V_LX motherboard with support to only USB 3.0. I am currently on a Gigabyte Z370P D3 and is rock solid. I read too ASUS mobos are kind of problematic with USB 3.x, at least probably the old models.

Your IPD will be fine if it's around 64mm.

My previous build PC (Asus mobo) was from the same era as you're current mobo and I had some USB problems. Not the same so yours but it reminded of how sensitive my PC was to what devices we're plugged into which ports. There was no real logic why it didn't like a particular setup, but it would crap out with USB errors. It was a massive pain as my sim setup has quite a few USB devices.

Since building my new PC based around the I7-8700k I've had no USB problems.

thanks for your feedback fellows , i went and purchased one ,has not arrived yet though 187 bucks to australia from usa ,cheap

...........and we beat the dollar slump lol
I guess delivery around the 14th for me in Sydney
I wanted to try VR for longtime
187 bucks, how could we possibly complain even if we don't like it ;)
Sell it on Gumtree as new for same price would be bargain for someone

Sale is closed back to 189US
Thanks again Fernando for the heads up

Edit: Hopefully Dirt Rally 2.0 also works with Revive

Last edited:
Hmmm, New Egg UK have a Lenovo Explorer for sale HERE. Is this the correct one? IOt ships from the US, but I'm in no rush. Not sure where I would stand with regards to import duties and VAT, but the way it's worded, I would imagime that the price is inclusive, because they give prices for both incluse/exclusive of VAT. Seems cheap?
No controllers, but I don't need controllers for sim racing, right? I believe it needs a Bluetooth dongle of some kind? Can anybody recommend one of those please?

EDIT: I can't find much info on the import tax situation regarding this. It says that it ships from the US via a company called NothingButSavings.com. Their blurb states that there are taxes to add in various US States (I was aware of that), but I don't see anything about buying via New Egg UK. I'm guessing that warranty/returns would be via New Egg UK (surely?).
Any light that anybody can shed on all of this would be very welcome. Sorry to be so needy. :redface:

Last edited:
Hmmm, New Egg UK have a Lenovo Explorer for sale HERE. Is this the correct one? IOt ships from the US, but I'm in no rush. Not sure where I would stand with regards to import duties and VAT, but the way it's worded, I would imagime that the price is inclusive, because they give prices for both incluse/exclusive of VAT. Seems cheap?
No controllers, but I don't need controllers for sim racing, right? I believe it needs a Bluetooth dongle of some kind? Can anybody recommend one of those please?

EDIT: I can't find much info on the import tax situation regarding this. It says that it ships from the US via a company called NothingButSavings.com. Their blurb states that there are taxes to add in various US States (I was aware of that), but I don't see anything about buying via New Egg UK. I'm guessing that warranty/returns would be via New Egg UK (surely?).
Any light that anybody can shed on all of this would be very welcome. Sorry to be so needy. :redface:

That's the model. There will no customs duty on that. Just the VAT which they've already added.

I think a PCI USB expansion card will be better suited for VR headset over a hub. I'm using this one: https://amzn.to/2SxTe4P. Both my HTC Vive and Lenono Explorer are plugged into this expansion card.
@Denis...Bluetooth adapter is only required if using hand controllers.
That powered internal USB card is the best option for VR, since the HDMI and USB cabling split for the headset doesn't allow for wide separation without some type of extension.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 306 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years