Which is the best rig?

EdL

Naked and Afraid
Hi guys,

So after a hiatus of many, many years, thanks to RF2 GT3s I've got the bug again.

That means I need a rig for two key reasons:
  1. comfort and driving position
  2. easy access, a dedicated setup ready to go

My question is - because I don't really know what's on the market - what's the best rig you can buy? I'd like something solid that will take a Direct Drive wheel (that's my next question) and proper GT bucket seat.

I've seen the P1-X and that looks good, but is it the best option?

FYI - I've got a Valve Index VR on order, but currently run a LG 34UC99-W 34" Ultrawide. If I like the VR that will stay, otherwise I'll get a triple maybe?

Whenever I have friends using the Simucube I have some rules:

1) Never take both hands off the wheel at any time that a game is running; even if the car isn't moving and;
2) If they're are new to video games I watch them while standing next to a keyboard or e-stop, because they sometimes forget my first rule (particularly when crashing their car) and the wheel can go crazy.
3) I always ensure I am in the rig whenever the first game is activated after turning on the PC.

This is because for the first car driven after I turn on the PC, my Simucube activates by shaking the wheel left and right for say a second. It's no problem if you're expecting it. But if your not expecting it and aren't holding onto the wheel, it spins violently and is alarming.

I suspect that you only let them use round wheels that can't smack them like a formula rim could.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Emergency stop, don't even remember when I used it last time.
Could be handy if you messed up FW update or Granity settings.
Other than that there is FEV (Over speed fault) that will brake the wheel when set rotation speed is exceeded.

Upvote 0
Emergency stop, don't even remember when I used it last time.
Could be handy if you messed up FW update or Granity settings.
Other than that there is FEV (Over speed fault) that will brake the wheel when set rotation speed is exceeded.

So I guess you were joking earlier when you said you used your button 3 times a day on a good day.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

For tubular design RSeat is probably the most flexible, with good build quality and not super expensive.
This is the new one that can serve as racing or flight sim chassis.
https://www.rseat.net/rseat-s1/rseat-s1-black-black/

I am still on their most compact RS1 model and using DD wheel and HE pedals (pedal deck modded). Blends pretty well with the office.
But as others said, 80/20 is probably the best options as far as flexibility goes. Black models from sim-lab looks almost just as good as black tubular designs.

Upvote 0
Budget: K2
Premium: P1 variant

I see in another post, you've done proper track driving. Not sure of your pace but if you have real seat experience at a race pace, I'd avoid the motion. It's nice at the beginning but once you start getting into it, you start realizing the gaps and they get bigger. I do think the motion tech will continue to get better over time as other pieces have come along. Basically, needs a jump in tech like going from standard wheels to direct drives.

Wheel: Simcube 2 Sport or Ultimate depending on budget.

Pedals: Any of the top end units are fine honestly. None will give you feedback through the pedals as a real car. What you're just looking for in consistency in application and travel range. Nothing more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdL
Upvote 0
Budget: K2
Premium: P1 variant

I see in another post, you've done proper track driving. Not sure of your pace but if you have real seat experience at a race pace, I'd avoid the motion. It's nice at the beginning but once you start getting into it, you start realizing the gaps and they get bigger. I do think the motion tech will continue to get better over time as other pieces have come along. Basically, needs a jump in tech like going from standard wheels to direct drives.

Wheel: Simcube 2 Sport or Ultimate depending on budget.

Pedals: Any of the top end units are fine honestly. None will give you feedback through the pedals as a real car. What you're just looking for in consistency in application and travel range. Nothing more than that.

Do we actually have any reviews of the Simcube 2 Ultimate to go on?

Upvote 0
The SC2 Ultimate currently isn't available until October. People who already have orders in for SC Pro's quickly enough should expect them in August for batch 2. Batches 3 and 4 are supposed to be larger and coming faster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back on subject, I just ordered a number of small pieces of 8020 materials and connectors. I'm going to raise my pedal deck 1.5", use a cleaner looking piece for my sequential shifter mount, add a foot rest next to the clutch, and create a stout area under the pedal deck for power supplies, USB hub and power strip.

What like is the amount of reuse 8020 allows. For example I'm replacing the two pieces of 40x40 that hold my Spring pedals with a single 120x40 piece. Then I'm using the two pieces of 40x40 at the front on each side of the frames to raise the pedal deck. I'll be using the 2x8 joining plate that is currently holding my sequential shifter along with the 2x8 joining plate currently reinforcing my two pieces of 40x40 on the pedal deck to hold those same two pieces of 40x40 to the frame.

Then I'm putting a 500mm x 40x80 ultra light weight piece at the bottom of the front to hold all the power supplies, USB hub, power strip securely.

The foot rest is a two piece solution that looks perfect for this. 8020 is exactly the erector set just like they advertise it to be.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back