Which is the best rig?

EdL

Naked and Afraid
Hi guys,

So after a hiatus of many, many years, thanks to RF2 GT3s I've got the bug again.

That means I need a rig for two key reasons:
  1. comfort and driving position
  2. easy access, a dedicated setup ready to go

My question is - because I don't really know what's on the market - what's the best rig you can buy? I'd like something solid that will take a Direct Drive wheel (that's my next question) and proper GT bucket seat.

I've seen the P1-X and that looks good, but is it the best option?

FYI - I've got a Valve Index VR on order, but currently run a LG 34UC99-W 34" Ultrawide. If I like the VR that will stay, otherwise I'll get a triple maybe?

Just went through this - all depends on how much you want to spend and how quickly you want to spend.
If you are just looking for a Rig, the P1X is great.
of course you can make your own.
just think of expansion, support for what you have or plan to buy.

Reactions: EdL
Upvote 0
Personally I like 8020 material and I think the Sim-Lab P1-X is a hard cockpit to beat.

I've changed the layout and controls on my rig quite a bit and with 8020 it is always something easy to accomplish. It has a lot of capacity to grow with you over time.

Upvote 0
Just went through this - all depends on how much you want to spend and how quickly you want to spend.
If you are just looking for a Rig, the P1X is great.
of course you can make your own.
just think of expansion, support for what you have or plan to buy.

Thanks for the P1 vote of confidence and yes, costs soon mount when you look at DD wheels and hydraulic pedals. Could by a real race car for this money! :D

Check out this rig, I have it and love it. https://simetik.com/web/product/k2-cockpit/

That looks good but much cheaper than the 8020 stuff, is it sturdy enough for a DD wheel?

There are lots of options and it all comes down to personal preference.

A well built 80/20 based rig will provide the most flexibility but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many people say they love how it looks but for me it's ugly and not something that belongs in the house.

Your rig looks really good. Fortunately I have a dedicated space/room for my stuff and there's a big space that would perfectly fit a rig of my choosing! :)

Upvote 0
I think mine does the job :;)

andys rig.jpg
sim rig (2).jpg
sim rig (3).jpg

But I am thinking of upgrading to this one::D
sim rig (1).jpg

Upvote 0
I hope you can change the chassis for when you're driving a GT car? ;-)

Motion... I'm so torn.

Those under seat movers are - in my opinion - awful (sorry to the owners), the car shouldn't pivot around the driver, this is not karting.

I can afford motion but I'm just not sure it's good enough without spending 5 figures. I might be wrong?

Upvote 0
Whilst waiting for my Valve Index, I've ordered an Oculus Rift S.

I want to see if I really want triples or VR, I think VR is good enough tech wise now.

Also, what rig/chassis is this and what pedals are they using?

edit: oh yeah, an "N1" ... ha, should have worked that one out!

Equinox-Simulator.png

Upvote 0
Whilst waiting for my Valve Index, I've ordered an Oculus Rift S.

I want to see if I really want triples or VR, I think VR is good enough tech wise now.

Also, what rig/chassis is this and what pedals are they using?

edit: oh yeah, an "N1" ... ha, should have worked that one out!

Equinox-Simulator.png
I love the emergency button being positioned in a way that you would have to get out of the seat while the wheel is shredding everything that comes close enough to reach the button lol.
That's a proper advertisement screw up :roflmao:

(imo such things should stay "correct and secure" even for a stupid photo. It's like car adverts showing people not wearing seat belts. Sure, it's greenscreen etc but still...)

Upvote 0
I love the emergency button being positioned in a way that you would have to get out of the seat while the wheel is shredding everything that comes close enough to reach the button lol.

How often do DD wheels go wild?!

ps: this picture is from Equinox Sims, it's their manned setup so you'd be on that seat with 1 or 2 people watching and advising. But I still hear your point!

Upvote 0
I don't think they ever go wild but IF something goes wrong, it's dangerous.
Sadly I can't find the simpit video where the guy has totally messed up settings and hits the emergency button about every 30 seconds but here's a nice timestamp:
(26:20 if timestamp doesn't work ; Timestamp: LINK)

Upvote 0
Isn't just silly having a wheel that could break your thumbs. How about a 10lb lump hammer that automatically whacks you in the face to simulate a wall crash too.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Sadly that is actually one reason I don't have a DD wheel right now, but there are a few reasons.

Risk to myself and to the many others who drive my rig including some 12,13 year olds.
Game setup and compatibility
Configuration Software that is still under development.

I am not suggesting that the DD hardware is not capable of doing things that my CS 2.5 is incapable of doing, but just that there are currently trade offs I'm unwilling to make.

Upvote 0
Even though I only sim in VR, I could see the utility of flat screens for endurance races or if you are a parent and need to be more aware of your surroundings.

Personally I think having 3D perspective and a viewpoint that moves with your head are important, but I'm not a competitive racer. I'm much more about the immersion.

Reactions: EdL
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 195 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 380 28.3%