Cars VRC Formula NA 2012 and 2018

I just did 30 laps at the Glen (boot) in the 1999 car. After 20L I upped the tire psi's (to get a better feel from the tires) to 18F and 17R and the psis went DOWN 1 psi on each tire after a 10 lap stint. This was on the Softs. Surely that can't be right? Explanations welcome!

Tell me first where do you get the impression "that it can't be right" from ? :p

If you can't generate enough heat, temperature will go down and therefore tyre pressure will follow, there is some heat generation that is due to rolling resistance, but it goes down as the pressure goes up.

EDIT: are you driving with tyre blankets on, you should in case you don't.

Last edited:
Tyres are not really the problem, and oval tyres are indeed different ... i need to rework the rear suspension a bit though, for now just remove the rear ARB on all your setups, you need to keep the front stiff, start with a very soft rear and add a bit of stiffness until you find the sweet spot, if you don't touch the front suspension and remove the rear ARB, you will affect the rolling resistance distribution between the front the rear by around 1% for each 10000 N/m of rear spring stiffness, which is a lot ... and this is what i have to rework :)
Thanks for the hint with turning down the ARB and soften the Rear all the way to begin with. Worked on the Setup from there on, and got a lot more understanding what the Car is doing. Powerslides are now possible to handle for me:thumbsup::D.

Something is wrong with the tires I like the way they build the heat up. But when they gets 98C don't stop to get up and up then u lose the grip because of the overheat. the tires get 105C and keeps climbing on medium fast turns and because of that u lose the trust of mechanical grip. I can´t get comfortable with those tires. the tire pressure its okay. but the temperature always overhead and doesn't matter if you are with soft or hard compound. Another thing the brakes gets cold too fast and because of that always the wheels locks. even with low brake power pressure you always lock the tires. maybe its because of the lack of the little/low grip on slow corners.
about the graphic I think the tires on the tv cameras was an little white on sun light.

Anyone up for a online race this week? I don’t know, 99 car @ Road America or 2012 as well.
I want so badly to race online with these things, since the IA is too lazy for my likings. :D

I´d be up for it :) Had some short but great races with some of you on the oval couple of days ago

These cars are awesome (esp the '99 Car) but one thing I have noticed is that whilst driving the 99 car that although I initially thought that blipping the throttle whilst downshifting was necessary (with most videos of the car I have seen including this), I have personally found that the car does not require it for me as there is no loss instability when downshifting whilst it is required with cars such as those in the RSS GT pack, idk if it is down to the fact that I drive on a controller or not but at RA I managed to get down to a fairly competitive laptime (1:40.713).

Long story short should a blip on downshift be required or not?

Something is wrong with the tires I like the way they build the heat up. But when they gets 98C don't stop to get up and up then u lose the grip because of the overheat. the tires get 105C and keeps climbing on medium fast turns and because of that u lose the trust of mechanical grip. I can´t get comfortable with those tires. the tire pressure its okay. but the temperature always overhead and doesn't matter if you are with soft or hard compound. Another thing the brakes gets cold too fast and because of that always the wheels locks. even with low brake power pressure you always lock the tires. maybe its because of the lack of the little/low grip on slow corners.
about the graphic I think the tires on the tv cameras was an little white on sun light.

I agree there seems to be is issue with cooling/heating of tyres or sensitivity.

Yesterday I did around 100+ laps around Watkins with Road 2012.

The front tyres overheat as soon you start pushing lap after lap. Experimented with tons of setup changes.
Pressures are good but tyres are overheating.

Start off doing 1:27's than it just impossible to keep it together.

I know this is 4 years forward (different aero kit/turbo)

This kind of smoothness is very hard to do with road 2012.

I agree there seems to be is issue with cooling/heating of tyres or sensitivity.

Yesterday I did around 100+ laps around Watkins with Road 2012.

The front tyres overheat as soon you start pushing lap after lap. Experimented with tons of setup changes.
Pressures are good but tyres are overheating.

Start off doing 1:27's than it just impossible to keep it together.

I know this is 4 years forward (different aero kit/turbo)

This kind of smoothness is very hard to do with road 2012.
I Drive with the standard tyre pressure (18psi front/17psi rear) and can do low 1.26.xxx without overheating the tyres on Watkins Glen. At least the Tyre Pressure app says, that the tyres are still in their optimum pressure/heat window. Maybe you over steering the front tyres to much?

Last edited:
Maybe, you are not supposed to push that hard during the race

But this said, it's quite hard to get optimal temperatures everywhere, on some tracks tyres will be hard to heat and the opposite on others.

Concerning throttle blipping, it really depends on so many factors that i'm unable to give you a simple answer, if you try to downshift to 3rd without blipping for RA last corner, you will most likely spin... but you wont spin while downshifting to 4th for T1.

And please guys, there is nothing called "ideal pressure" in the absolute sense (it really depends on tyres load), what is called ideal pressure in AC is more like a "design pressure", it's some kind of a reference pressure.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.0%