Cars VRC Formula NA 2012 and 2018

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to get the carbon texture to show up on the floor of the 2018 version when creating a skin? I'm using GIMP and no matter what combination of the alpha/carbon layers the carbon does not show up for me. Thanks

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to get the carbon texture to show up on the floor of the 2018 version when creating a skin? I'm using GIMP and no matter what combination of the alpha/carbon layers the carbon does not show up for me. Thanks

Hey! Just be sure your alpha channel is black in those parts, and also be sure you're saving the dds file in a format with alpha channel.

Hi did" the real skins pack" stay compatible ?

Hi! All skins should have remained mostly compatible. When I say mostly, it's because the AFP wasn't there before, so skins would need some tweaks for that.

Mine says version 1.6, is this ok?

Yep, last package version is 1.6, nevertheless car itself (FNA2018) is in V1.2. I guess we will organize packages names/version numbers in a less confusing way in the future.

Hey! Just be sure your alpha channel is black in those parts, and also be sure you're saving the dds file in a format with alpha channel.

It's still not working for me.

I have the red, green, blue, alpha, and alpha 1 channels selected. When I go to export as a .dds file, I've tried every format available with no luck either with no compression or with BC3/DXT5 along with mipmaps being generated.

1606026969645.png

I have a content manager showroom window open and when I save the .dds file the car model flashes with carbon but then ends up being either white or black.

It's still not working for me.

I have the red, green, blue, alpha, and alpha 1 channels selected. When I go to export as a .dds file, I've tried every format available with no luck either with no compression or with BC3/DXT5 along with mipmaps being generated.

View attachment 421568

I have a content manager showroom window open and when I save the .dds file the car model flashes with carbon but then ends up being either white or black.

I have never really used GIMP, so I don't know how to help you, unless you want to send me your skin via private message. Then I could export it to dds for you.

• Deleted member 223075

GIMP: compression bc3 dxt5 user perceptual metric error and format default (also check to generete mipmap)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never really used GIMP, so I don't know how to help you, unless you want to send me your skin via private message. Then I could export it to dds for you.

I might take you up on that offer, when I'm finished with the skin I'm planning on making.

GIMP: compression bc3 dxt5 user perceptual metric error and format default (also check to generete mipmap)

Thanks for the suggestion but it's still not working. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. If you don't mind, what are the steps you take in GIMP after opening the template file to saving the .dds? I feel like I have to be missing a small step.

• Deleted member 223075

@skierdude24 I work with Photofiltre and GIMP. Photofiltre to start (use GIMP to open the .dds and put it on photofiltre) they doing some work with GIMP (color, alpha channel ...).

Normally with GIMP the carbon texture appear transparent (alpha channel) you don't have to touch it. Just paint normally other parts.

y47u.jpg

So does the carbon only show up after erasing the areas in the .dds? Because I did some testing and the only way I could get the carbon to show was by manually erasing the "white" areas. If that is the correct way would this then be the workflow?
  1. Do all the painting of the car leaving the carbon bits a certain color.
  2. Save the .dds.
  3. Edit the .dds to make the carbon parts transparent.
  4. Completed skin including parts correctly "painted" as carbon.
If that is correct, my confusion arose from assuming the transparency could be done within the .xcf/.psd all at once rather than making the .dds transparent afterwards.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back