Virginia International Raceway

Tracks Virginia International Raceway 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hi.

Is there updated AI file for this track? floating around somewhere.

There is issue with Grand West Course layout with AI.

They are overshooting braking points at several turns. Backstraight, rollercoaster etc.

AI cars raced were Huracan, 488GTB, GT3RS.

After watching the AI.

It seems to just braking issue.

Can this be helped with ai hint file?

Maybe, but i never had much success using AI hints in the past tbh. The AI was done before these cars (and others) were in AC.

Because it's such a varied course and there's such a huge array of cars, doing an AI path that works universally is really hard. I might take a look at it sometime as the track wouldn't hurt to have an update with fixes for the few small things that came to light since release.

In the meantime, if someone want's to do a new set of AI then be my guest. Just don't say i didn't warn you :p

After watching the AI its just two braking issues, the rest of the track Ai is great.

I been testing with ai_hints.ini last few minutes.
Seems to be hit or miss or maybe I am not understanding the values correctly.
For the back straight leading into turn 14 where cars such as 488 GTB AI just sail on.

I added following. Using the esotic app I found the start and end coordinates.

higher the VALUE the closer AI will brake on the limit?

[BRAKEHINT_0]
START=0.532
END=0.585
VALUE=0.95

I am hoping @LilSki would see this thread.
This doesn't seem to be difficult issue to fix, just need to know the correct VALUE to enter. The rest is just trial and error.

Do I also need to throw in [HINT_0]?

I looked at the kunos laguna seca ai_hints.ini and it had this.

Code:
; corkscrew
[HINT_0]
START=0.674
END=0.699
VALUE=0.7

[BRAKEHINT_0]
START=0.660
END=0.699
VALUE=0.6

; T6
[BRAKEHINT_1]
START=0.529
END=0.540
VALUE=0.80

[HINT_1]
START=0.529
END=0.550
VALUE=0.85

hmm.

not matter what VALUE i enter nothing seems to fix the braking issue.

is there another command for the AI? to force them to slow down other than

brakehint?

tried

Code:
[BRAKEHINT_0]
START=0.532
END=0.585
VALUE=0.8

[HINT_0]
START=0.532
END=0.585
VALUE=0.7

and

[BRAKEHINT_0]
START=0.532
END=0.585
VALUE=0.1

[HINT_0]
START=0.532
END=0.585
VALUE=0.2

I thought about creating another line for the ai fast lane.

but don't think it will do anything as the AI fast lane and the right and left sides are perfect.
I know they are because I made them. You are doing something wrong if the brake hints aren't working. You sure you have the file in the right folder for the correct layout and that it is the correct start and end values for where you want this to happen?

I know they are because I made them. You are doing something wrong if the brake hints aren't working. You sure you have the file in the right folder for the correct layout and that it is the correct start and end values for where you want this to happen?

oh my. :redface:
when I created .ini file I had
ai_hints.ini.ini

xZebZzj.png

now its working.

I am currently playing around with values and its working.
Only thing is they are starting braking a bit too early.

what should my start point be as close to turn and end point before turn?

[BRAKEHINT_0]
START=0.542
END=0.565
VALUE=0.9

You have to experiment with it to get the right start and end points. The reason there is a problem is when the AI was updated it seemed to lose the ability to judge elevation changes. So it sees the turn and doesn't realize it is over a crest and therefor doesn't slow down enough.

You have to experiment with it to get the right start and end points. The reason there is a problem is when the AI was updated it seemed to lose the ability to judge elevation changes. So it sees the turn and doesn't realize it is over a crest and therefor doesn't slow down enough.

Just watching AI now yep, roller coaster bend they also mess up braking due to crest.
I am gonna trial error this. Till it works.

At moment it seems best option is to have start and end point a bit longer and use VALUE as close possible to 1 so it doesn't affect other cars that use slicks and have better braking.

I am testing with 488 GTB and Huracan Performante AI.

If I use this value.

[BRAKEHINT_0]
START=0.542
END=0.565
VALUE=0.8

Huracan with slicks stops way too early. 488GTB stops a bit early.

Using
[BRAKEHINT_0]
START=0.532
END=0.565
VALUE=0.95

488GTB just barely makes it while Huracan is good.

Seems bit tricky to find correct balance so all AI doesn't get affected.

just update.
its real pain the ..... way too much trial error.
the 3 ruf cars are disaster. its like brakes are optional for them.
if I slow AI down at 0.8 than every other kunos car slows down way too much.

it seems higher the value close to 1 produces most natural behavior but some cars are just stupid and I guess their internal brake_hint is too low or brakes are not good enough. which nothing can be done about.

just update.
its real pain the ..... way too much trial error.
the 3 ruf cars are disaster. its like brakes are optional for them.
if I slow AI down at 0.8 than every other kunos car slows down way too much.

it seems higher the value close to 1 produces most natural behavior but some cars are just stupid and I guess their internal brake_hint is too low or brakes are not good enough. which nothing can be done about.
Welcome to the world of ACs wonderful "AI"

Have you guys made a thread on the official forums regarding that problematic behavior of the AI forgetting about track elevation after a certain AC version? We're at that point were some final adjustments could still be made on AC before they leave it as it is, in case it was just a small coding mishap.

Have you guys made a thread on the official forums regarding that problematic behavior of the AI forgetting about track elevation after a certain AC version? We're at that point were some final adjustments could still be made on AC before they leave it as it is, in case it was just a small coding mishap.

I thought about doing just that.
But I highly doubt @kunos would want to look into it as it would likely produce some unintended consequences.
Development of AC has stopped imo.

here is the ai_hints file for
https://ufile.io/74h73
place file into assettocorsa\content\tracks\vir\grand west course\data

spiral and turn 14 are fixed for AI.
back straight still needs work at moment 95% of AI cars will brake in time.

Last edited:
oh my. :redface:
when I created .ini file I had
ai_hints.ini.ini

xZebZzj.png
OMG. I would die if file extensions were turned off on my computer. Yes, Type might seem redundant, but I would hate to run into something like you accidentally did.

We all know that Assetto Corsa, for all of its wonderful features, can occasdionally provide a less than ideal AI single-player racing or track day experience. I figured I would ask you @LilSki due to your extensive track creation knowledge - are there occasions when using different types of AI cars on certain tracks would work better with a different ai_hints.ini file? I only ask because if the answer is "yes" I wonder if @x4fab (Content Manager Dev) would incorporate a drop-down next to the track selector and then the user could choose: GT3, Formula 1, Street Cars, etc. and an appropriate ai_hints.ini file would be selected when loading the track. Content Manager can easily rename files on the go like with the Replace Tyres tool. If there is only one ai_hints.ini file the drop-down box would be deactivated.

OMG. I would die if file extensions were turned off on my computer. Yes, Type might seem redundant, but I would hate to run into something like you accidentally did.

We all know that Assetto Corsa, for all of its wonderful features, can occasdionally provide a less than ideal AI single-player racing or track day experience. I figured I would ask you @LilSki due to your extensive track creation knowledge - are there occasions when using different types of AI cars on certain tracks would work better with a different ai_hints.ini file? I only ask because if the answer is "yes" I wonder if @x4fab (Content Manager Dev) would incorporate a drop-down next to the track selector and then the user could choose: GT3, Formula 1, Street Cars, etc. and an appropriate ai_hints.ini file would be selected when loading the track. Content Manager can easily rename files on the go like with the Replace Tyres tool. If there is only one ai_hints.ini file the drop-down box would be deactivated.
Yes but I'm not building ai hint files for every brainless AI car in this sim. You would also benefit from multiple AI lines. But again I'm not making 20 different AI lines for a track.

I don't have a mod for that, but at one point I did see the wrong way sign on my screen... but like... if I'm not on the track and facing the wrong way, who cares so long as I'm not ON the track facing the wrong way? The more I think about it the less I think this is a problem with the track and more just an over-zealous penalty system that AC has. It isn't like their penalty system is beloved for other reasons (I'm looking at you, 10 second slow down penalty that causes new drivers to just lift right in the middle of the racing line on a corner).

Pretty sure that's just how the game works and I think it was something that was added in an effort to prevent idiots online from driving the wrong way on the track just to crash people. Those idiots drive the wrong way on both the track and in the grass so having the penalty applied in both situations is the correct approach IMO.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.