Verstappen and Kvyat Swap Seats for Spanish Grand Prix

F1 racing, for better or worse, is a business. Helmut Marko treats it as such, which I respect him for. Sometimes in business the key to progress or growth is to make quick, bold, and often unpopular decisions - to find an opportunity in the middle of a dilemma. That's all he did. From a team or fan perspective this upsetting move might be quite shocking and seem quite unfair. Kvyat did just score a podium two races back and this was quite sudden. And considering the fact he's been replaced just at the start of a season with a younger driver from a junior team one can sympathize with what is arguably the most humiliating outcome an F1 driver can face next to being fired altogether.

But while it's easy to sit back, removed from the situation, and feel sorry for Kvyat, to then look at it from a management perspective I think Marko made a very tough but smart decision that's going to better position RBR for 2016 podiums, constructor points, and give them a better chance at keeping Verstappen even longer and out of the hands of the competition where he could be a bigger threat to RB in the long run.

Things I hear are a bit different. Of course his engineers can't go to RB. They don't know anything about that car.
Problem seems to be completely inside the team. There seemed to be a Sainz side and a Verstappen side there. It is being said that Sainz' engineers have asked things the Verstappen side didn't like and the same stuff has been done to the other side. Last thing was the Verstappen side with Pujolar not adhering to the TR tactics in qualifying in Russia. Pujolar didn't follow up what Tost wanted or something like that.
In other words it seems Verstappen and Sainz were having a conflict which was completely internal in the teams as well, and they can't drive together in the team as that brings too many problems. Verstappens race engineer is also a Catalan, while Sainz is a Castilian. Also something that's not working fine. So there's a reason why Verstappen had to go to RB and why his race engineer has been fired.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

Helmut Marko is a terrible manager and shouldn't be heading any program. Luckily for him, he's buddies with Dietricht. Red Bull doesn't have a good record of having actual good people running their programs, with Franz Tost being another good example.

The kid has talent but his management is very aggressive and the lobbying works. His dad is aggressive (and an arrogant, unpleasant guy) and certainly helped with the pressure. Maybe this was going to happen already for 2017, as Sainz is the lowest of the four Red Bull drivers, but still, a big wow.

As someone else also chimed in, what a truly pathetic move on RedBull's side. How many times did Vettel put opponents in the wall or hit even his own teammate? Or even outperformed by his own teammate, Ricciardo, for the whole of last year? Schumacher syndrome alert: it's ok when you do it, but hell breaks loose if someone does it to you. Horner is still "horny" for Seb it seems, even if he's driving for Ferrari now.

How is it that every time something happens involving a german that drives for Ferrari, the double standard pokes its ugly head? Had Vettel been driving for Force India, would RedBull have immediately considered replacing their driver?

There were silly moments of politics intertwined into the race, unfortunately, confirming once again that sport is never too far from it. Russian driver hits German driver; Hamilton instantly greets Russian president Vladimir Putin in the "refreshments" room, who is there personally to congratulate the drivers after the race, while Rosberg, entering the room through the same door right after Hamilton, fails to acknowledge Putin's presence for a good minute. Then this:

"Lauda, a three-time World Champion, praised the Ferrari driver's composure (?!) after the incident but did add that the young Red Bull driver was completely out of order: "If I were Vettel, I would kill him."

http://www.planetf1.com/news/lauda-slams-kvyat/

Mod Edit: Not appropriate and not on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
He did ram Webber out of a second place in Fuji 2007.

I know he did, Micheal punted Damien and JV but none of them into a wall okay that was the
relevant word in my reply.

More so what has that got to do with Rebull and a driver swap.

Schumacher syndrome ............people have memories a elephant would be proud of. hehehe ;)

and btw Mark was complaining about everyone that day.

Child mentality, Micheal never behaved like this.

<Mod Edit: Videos go in our RaceTube.>

Last edited by a moderator:
If their under contract the team can do as they please with them. I doubt they are going to "spit the dummy" and leave, which would/could potentially jeopardize future drives with other top teams, as well as leave them without a drive for the rest of 2016.

It matters not why they swapped Ves & Kyv, they can and did, we as outsiders don't know all that goes on behind the scenes in the RB & TR camps, and can only speculate and wait to see what transpires after Spain, we cannot predict the future, though it would be nice :).

I only hope that both drivers have good clean races and finish without incident in the highest position possible.

On a personal note, I would love to see all the F1 drivers put in the same car (Ferrari or Merc for example) just to find out who really is the best F1 driver. I think the results would be very surprising.

Cheers

+1

Sorry about the videos.

Point is I think Mark is more concerned with LMP1 team-mates unforced error
costs a possible win and not living in the past like some here.

This serves as a good warning to Max to be consistent and make the passes stick, not got get caught up in these moves that go for corner after corner and just lose time for both drivers involved.

If not, Jenson or Alonso could do the job with 1 eye closed. :)
-------------------------------

I agree 101% Andrew, would be interesting indeed.

Isn't over 1/2 the field Ferrari or Mercedes powered as it is ?

Make the chassis and driver the determining factors.
Less downforce and long lasting rubber

Sad when I watch most sophisticated machine sometimes
lapping like a duck out of water due to fuel loads, tyre compounds.
or strategy.

I know he did, Micheal punted Damien and JV but none of them into a wall okay that was the
relevant word in my reply.

More so what has that got to do with Rebull and a driver swap.

I would believe that causing retirement/damage would be the relevant, just as I automagically assumed that this being a thread about Verstappen, Kyvat and swaps, that you were talking about that, and not something Michael Schumacher did.

At the start of the new season I wondered why RB kept 2 less talented drivers in their team and the two Young Stars at TR. The Championship was out of reach before the start of the season, and to bring Verstappen and Sainz into the RB's would be the right step. Both of them are ready for the better car, and have more talent and higher chance than both Riccardo and Kvyat together... :whistling:
Ricciardo is amazing driver what are you smoking? Many in F1think he may be the quickest driver on the grid. He statically is also the best overtaker in F1 to and this is a statistical fact. Remember Ricciardo put Vettel in the shade a 4 time world champion made him look average and lets not forget that overtake on vettel at Monza that was the best in a long time. Max dives on the inside out brakes himself and forces drivers off the drive line. This is not genius this is Maldonardo like.. You clearly do not watch much F1 or dont understand motor racing well...

Be careful, you could also be accused for advertising other site.

Nah... just kidding. :geek:
We're not the same I guess, you're premium and above that - staff. :thumbsup:

Verstappen has his contract with Red Bull extended to the end of 2019

Source (Dutch): http://www.f1today.net/nl/nieuws/f1/211327/red-bull-verlengt-contract-max-tot-en-met-2019

It just means RB wants to invest in the future. They want a good car and a good driver next year. They're unsure whether Ricciardo will stay, and Verstappen is the most talented guy they have atm, so Verstappen needs to know the RB12 and help development to the RB13.

And such a long contract at RB is Vettel'ish..

Be careful, you could also be accused for advertising other site.

Nah... just kidding. :geek:
We're not the same I guess, you're premium and above that - staff. :thumbsup:
Linking to news articles is perfectly fine for all users :)
Nothing against our rules in that.

What's not really recommended however is creating a new thread containing only a link. There's got to be some sort of discussion going with it, or accompanying text, otherwise it just looks like spam.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back