Verstappen and Kvyat Swap Seats for Spanish Grand Prix

I think Kvyat was always a poor choice of driver who imho actually performed better in F1 than during his junior career to be honest.

Thing is, I just don't see him becoming a truly top tier driver in Grand Prix racing so it's wise to shift him out and get someone in with better potential long term (and in Max he's probably a better prospect short term at the moment too).

Interesting times.

Go Max!

This is exactly right and honestly I don't think it has all that much to do with Kvyat's incidents this year. Yes, it likely had an effect on the timing, but they were more than likely planning to do this sometime this year anyways. In F1 you have drivers who are at different tier levels of skill, and only a handful are in the top tier and capable of pushing your team over that edge of competitiveness. Taking care of a driver who has that potential is far more important than trying to appease a driver who may have done well and has been loyal, but obviously isn't at that same skill level.

Max is a potential star in this sport and they have to take care of him or he'll move to another team. Putting him in a more competitive car and on the A-team rather than B-team is part of that process.

One racing incident, one Kvyat's fault. At the end of the day everyone makes mistakes. Tell me someone who hasn't made a mistake.

Oh, and Vettel crashed into Webber under SC in Fuji 2007. Nothing happened. Vettel crashed into Button in Spa 2010, umm, nothing. Max crashed into Grosjean and the wall in Monaco, nothing.

This was too harsh and happened only to give Max a contract for the future.

Note the difference here though. Vettel's incidents you mention didn't come in back to back races. That on top of Vettel being an obvious star of the sport at the time is why they stuck with him.

This is more about Verstappen being a potential superstar of the sport than Kvyat being reprimanded. This was inevitable, the timing was simply moved up due to the incidents from Kvyat, in my opinion.

Apart from their love affair with Vettel, Red Bull do not really treat their drivers very well.

It's almost Enzo Ferrari like, you either deliver or you're out the door (or in this case let's play musical chairs).

Verstappen and Kvyat are still very young and they will make mistakes it's as simple as that.

When Jos came into F1 (and ok he did have a pretty evil car to drive) he made so many mistakes and had so many crashes I really thought Flavio was going to kick him out of the team.

Like above though he was a rookie and it's expected that mistakes will happen.

Verstappen has been more of a good boy but he hasn't yet experienced the pressure of being in the number one team yet. Good luck to him though and I hope he does well and grabs this one race chance with both hands. It still stinks a bit though! :roflmao:

Last edited:
Note the difference here though. Vettel's incidents you mention didn't come in back to back races. That on top of Vettel being an obvious star of the sport at the time is why they stuck with him.

This is more about Verstappen being a potential superstar of the sport than Kvyat being reprimanded. This was inevitable, the timing was simply moved up due to the incidents from Kvyat, in my opinion.
Nothing happened in China

I have a few thoughts about this:

Is Max more naturally talented than Dannil? Absolutely yes, Max's ability and natural pace is oustanding, something with indeed a more balanced car would put him in podium places more often. Certainly Max can become a front name in the F1 in the future years and this season he has matured a whole lot compared to last year.

Was the driver switch inevitable? Also yes, I think everyone in the F1 media kinda figured Kvyat's season was probably his last for Red Bull unless he performed one hell of a season, since Max's contract expires at the end of the year and then he becomes, quite arguably the hottest Free Agent in the past 4 years. Also Max's, is also a "Helmut guy" and Jos is quite the aggressive guy in the back doors of F1 to get his son a better spot, so that would be the natural logic.

But.

Was the driver switch too soon? Yes.

Why? Making this change now, makes Red Bull look like Kvyat double incidents at Russia the complete villain and the rumoured Vettel's complaint to Christian Horner the catalyst for this driver switch. Kvyat CERTAINLY has to blame on incident #2 with Vettel as that reminded me of public MP racing, that was dangerous, even if Vettel had that flat tire. But incident #1 you can see Dannil locked his brake approaching T.2, so he couldn't avoid touching Seb.

The China debacle, Vettel is to blame and I'll take Senna's famous quote of the book: "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver". Dannil saw a gap open and went for it, Senna would've done THE SAME DAMN THING. If Vettel threw his car left and touched Kimi that's his problem, HE LEFT GAP ROOM AND SPACE that a driver could approach safely and dispute his position. And ah, for those who figure if Max would've done the same thing, yes he would.

But didn't you say that move was inevitable? Yes, I did say it, I could've said even further that this move could've been done further down the road. But now!? No, Red Bull, wrong move! If you want to do a driver switch in the middle of the championship just to secure a driver's contract for next year, don't do it right after a GP that had an incident involving the driver you're aiming to swtich! That makes the move doubtful, with behind the scenes interest (And it does!)

Resmuing, Red Bull might've destroyed another young drivers F1 career, like many others before. If I was Kvyat, I'd start searching places in WEC or F-E or any other competition, I'd be done with F1 for good.

Whatever happened behind the scenes the bottom line now is Max has to make the most of it. I think he will cause plenty of drama on the track the rest of the season. Both good and bad.

plain and simple I think at RBR, they decided to bruise ego's here and there and get things straightened out. that's the luxury of being in charge of driver placement as a team, and contractually not giving them the "golden nugget"

Vettel fan or not, have you been watching the 2014 season? If not, here's a recap:

Daniel Ricciardo
Infiniti Red Bull Racing 238
Sebastian Vettel Infiniti Red Bull Racing 167

Wasn't Vettel's car equal to umm.. his teammate's? But I guess he was sabotaged by the same team that helped him get his 4 championships, right? Or is it that he wasn't quite up to the task of understanding the new powerplants like other drivers did?

I always dread when people go by one season.
Going by that Kvyat > Ricciardo > Vettel. It's just a stupid argument.

I find it hard to believe this is over 1 incident expect it was Max threatening to move elsewhere more then anything expect Dani will beat Max fairly comfortably. Im not convinced he's much better then Sainz personally and he has the attitude of a baby so be interesting to see how he handles being paired with Dani if gets asked to move out the way.

I confess I was appalled while witnessing that in the period of just 15 seconds, Kvyat bumped another car, clipped his wing on the tyre of the same car he bumped, and proceed to bump him yet again on a corner where the 3 cars around him were slowing down and he didn't.

His mind was set on moving forward instead of being safe. . It was reckless.

I always dread when people go by one season.
Going by that Kvyat > Ricciardo > Vettel. It's just a stupid argument.

When you see that, you should always bring up Hill, Villeneuve and Frentzen! :)

Hill > Villeneuve > Frentzen > Hill > Villeneuve > Frentzen > Hill etc.

I remember someone finding a way to make Luca Badoer better than Michael Schumacher or some other top, top driver.

This does not make sense, if a Driver is unsafe with redbull he will be with toro rosso.
Like Ok go with Toro rosso so you can damage Massa's car not Vettel's.

Everybody makes mistakes, Kyvat was unfortunate and this is hard on him.

A bit shocking - a brutal dismissal this is. The first knock into vettel wasn't good, but no worse than verstappen hitting grosjean in monaco; it was the second hit which put vettel out of the race that was pretty painful to see.
Should've given kyvay another chance though, they hired him in the first place.

I really think there are another obscure thing behind this move. It is not Daniil China crashes, it is not Max´s father threatening to look elsewhere. What if Ricciardo has a last minute contract with Ferrari for the 2017 season to replace Kimi?

Red Bull aims for 2017 to win, they need at least one talented driver who will be able to challenge for wins. They need Max at max for the next year, since it's not clear Daniil will be able to do that.

To me, it's the only way this move has some common sense at this early stage.

Kvyat was under pressure in 2015 season. Words around the campfire back then were internal problems between the driver and teammembers. Lets just say Russia was the last straw..

On his first day at Milton Keynes, new boy Max Verstappen took part in a brief Q&A with his new team.

On hearing the news...

Max Verstappen: Well, of course I was very happy. A bit shocked as well - I didn't expect it, but yes I'm very happy with the opportunity of course. I have to say a big thank you to Red Bull and Dr Helmut Marko and now I just can't wait to jump into the car.

On the likely difference between the STR11 and RB12...
Well hopefully it will be faster, that's the main target. I just hope to feel comfortable in the car because that's what a driver needs. We'll find out in Barcelona. I have never driven the RB12 before, it will be a new experience and there are a lot of procedures to learn, but I'm up for it.

On adapting to the team and car...
I just take it quite relaxed and see where it goes. I'll work as closely as I can with the engineers, study the procedures and also try to learn from my team-mate.

On his knowledge of the team...
Well of course, I know a lot about what they've done in the history of Formula One. This Team is very competitive and I am also a very competitive person, so hopefully it'll be a perfect match.

On Spanish Grand Prix pressure...
I go there with no expectations to be honest. I just want to adapt to the car, understand it better and better every session and like I said before, study the data and see what my teammate is doing because the most important thing is to score points.

On driving for the team...
I wouldn't say more pressure to be honest. Of course I'm driving for a top Team now, but in the end you always try to do your best which is what I always try to do. For me, I don't feel more pressure.

On Jos' reaction to the news...
He was very proud to be honest. He was very happy of course because he invested a lot of time also in me when I was younger and we started together in go-karting where he helped me out a lot and I learned a lot from him. For sure, if he was not helping me, I wouldn't be standing here today.

On his teammate...

I've started to get to know him a little bit and we actually live in the same building in Monaco! For sure we can have a good relationship.

On offers from other teams...
To be honest, I was always very happy at Red Bull. I never saw reason to change and of course with this opportunity there is no reason to change so I'm happy to be here.

On the feeling of driving for the team...
t's a great honour and it's a top team and that's where every driver wants to drive I think. I can't wait to get started.

http://www.pitpass.com/56048/Verstappen-An-amazing-opportunity

On his first day at Milton Keynes, new boy Max Verstappen took part in a brief Q&A with his new team.

On hearing the news...

Max Verstappen: Well, of course I was very happy. A bit shocked as well - I didn't expect it, but yes I'm very happy with the opportunity of course. I have to say a big thank you to Red Bull and Dr Helmut Marko and now I just can't wait to jump into the car.

On the likely difference between the STR11 and RB12...
Well hopefully it will be faster, that's the main target. I just hope to feel comfortable in the car because that's what a driver needs. We'll find out in Barcelona. I have never driven the RB12 before, it will be a new experience and there are a lot of procedures to learn, but I'm up for it.

On adapting to the team and car...
I just take it quite relaxed and see where it goes. I'll work as closely as I can with the engineers, study the procedures and also try to learn from my team-mate.

On his knowledge of the team...
Well of course, I know a lot about what they've done in the history of Formula One. This Team is very competitive and I am also a very competitive person, so hopefully it'll be a perfect match.

On Spanish Grand Prix pressure...
I go there with no expectations to be honest. I just want to adapt to the car, understand it better and better every session and like I said before, study the data and see what my teammate is doing because the most important thing is to score points.

On driving for the team...
I wouldn't say more pressure to be honest. Of course I'm driving for a top Team now, but in the end you always try to do your best which is what I always try to do. For me, I don't feel more pressure.

On Jos' reaction to the news...
He was very proud to be honest. He was very happy of course because he invested a lot of time also in me when I was younger and we started together in go-karting where he helped me out a lot and I learned a lot from him. For sure, if he was not helping me, I wouldn't be standing here today.

On his teammate...

I've started to get to know him a little bit and we actually live in the same building in Monaco! For sure we can have a good relationship.

On offers from other teams...
To be honest, I was always very happy at Red Bull. I never saw reason to change and of course with this opportunity there is no reason to change so I'm happy to be here.

On the feeling of driving for the team...
t's a great honour and it's a top team and that's where every driver wants to drive I think. I can't wait to get started.

http://www.pitpass.com/56048/Verstappen-An-amazing-opportunity
If you had as source the Red Bull Racing website, it would be more credible. This is more like advertising a site that rips off news :')

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.