Verstappen and Kvyat Swap Seats for Spanish Grand Prix

On Dutch websites it is pretty much confirmed by Verstappen's side there is a multi year deal with just RB and not TR. So it will be more than just a race.

From BBC F1
"We are in the unique position to have all four drivers across Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso under long-term contracts with Red Bull, so we have the flexibility to move them between the two teams," said Red Bull team boss Christian Horner.

We'll see who is going to last longer, and which future younger drivers will come along to replace the existing ones.

From BBC F1
"We are in the unique position to have all four drivers across Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso under long-term contracts with Red Bull, so we have the flexibility to move them between the two teams," said Red Bull team boss Christian Horner.

We'll see who is going to last longer, and which future younger drivers will come along to replace the existing ones.
You will see when the Dutch interviews with his manager, father and himself will be translated.

On Dutch websites it is pretty much confirmed by Verstappen's side there is a multi year deal with just RB and not TR. So it will be more than just a race.
I think the verstappen camp pressured RB into this move. VES had a 2+1 contract where the +1 had to be at RB or he would be able to leave to a different team. Since both Mercedes and Ferrari were after him the pressure was on RB to extand his contract or they would lose him. I personally believe Ferrari has offered VES a seat and Jos has pressured RB to swap mid season or they would be gone.

I dont think the incident between vettel was the reason for this move there are bigger stakes at play with this situation

Last edited:
While these news are genuinely breaking (doesn't happen often at all that seats are swapped during the season between racing drivers), I think it's still an appropriate move. Verstappen should do well in Red Bull while Kvyat was taught a hard lesson and given a wake-up call. He needs to get his stuff together.

What Helmut Marko wants Helmut Marko gets.Marko's like a child opening all his presents on xmas eve,because he can't wait.Kvyat must be destroyed right now,he's been dealt some really bad public humiliation.

One more reason to dislike Marko. What he did is horrible if you ask me. Ruined Kvyat, put Max mid-season in a team he doesn't know, lowered the self-confidence of Sainz and worsened the already bad image of Red Bull. I would love to see Kvyat flying in the Red Bull and Verstappen leave Red Bull at the end of this year for another team.

Vettel = 2 races = contact destroying his chances.
Kvyat = 2 races = Destroyed Vettel.

How many more times must Vettel be punished by a driver that's really not up to the task?
A number of comments seem to be blaming Vettel for the switch, he didn't back-end anyone!
Sour grapes maybe?
If all cars were equal, Vettel would win every time....even if you have the fastest car, you still have to drive it and the Hamilton fans had an easy run last year. This year?
Sure I'm a Vettel fan, and we haven't had one clean race this year. I'm not crying.
Bring on Max. :p

Vettel = 2 races = contact destroying his chances.
Kvyat = 2 races = Destroyed Vettel.
One racing incident, one Kvyat's fault. At the end of the day everyone makes mistakes. Tell me someone who hasn't made a mistake.

Oh, and Vettel crashed into Webber under SC in Fuji 2007. Nothing happened. Vettel crashed into Button in Spa 2010, umm, nothing. Max crashed into Grosjean and the wall in Monaco, nothing.

This was too harsh and happened only to give Max a contract for the future.

There is no denying Max's immense talent (and Sainz) but there is definitely more than meets the eye here. RBR is covering their options and protecting their investment (young talent) from other top teams.

Soon we will find out if their approach russhing the youngster will come back and bite them in the back end. I think it may in some of the tougher races. not due to his talent, which isnt lacking, but experience.

I am excited to see how he measures up to Riccardo who is a proven performer.

I also think Sainz will give DK a run for his money.

On a side not. This will serve well with such a statement to all their and upcoming drivers. The RB machine keeps on chewing em up...

If all cars were equal, Vettel would win every time.

Vettel fan or not, have you been watching the 2014 season? If not, here's a recap:

Daniel Ricciardo
Infiniti Red Bull Racing 238
Sebastian Vettel Infiniti Red Bull Racing 167

Wasn't Vettel's car equal to umm.. his teammate's? But I guess he was sabotaged by the same team that helped him get his 4 championships, right? Or is it that he wasn't quite up to the task of understanding the new powerplants like other drivers did?

See here:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ttel-sounds-off-about-quieter-f1-engine-noise

go Max! and Danii needs to learn and regain form, great for a team to be a able to do such moves and seat changes! should always be like this, so some youngs guys learn to drive and be more careful. great move Red Bull Racing!

Huge news.
Rumoured by a Dutch friend that it is in Maxs contract that if he is not in RBR for next season he is a free agent so they had to move him in 2017.
Surprised that they did it now BUT Kyvatts great moments have been few and far between.

The Ricciardo and Verstappen dynamic is going to be amazing.
To anyone that doesn't rate Ricciardo I mean seriously what have you been watching for the last 2 years. He was stunning in 2014 and outclassed Vettel several times. He was the only non M/Benz I think to win a race. Hungary was just amazing.
If he can arrive as a young and keen face fresh from HRT and then Toro Rosso and sit next to Vettel and outrace him, can you seriously not rate him?

He is also "one of Marko's Boys" so has no political issues like Webber did.

Its going to be great to see how it pans out between them.

This is a harsh blow for Kvyat, however I believe Red Bull has been secretly wanting Verstappen in that role anyway since last season and this was just the best opportunity to make the switch. Kvyat is still a very talented young driver, but so far this season he has been underperforming compared to last season and Verstappen has been far more consistent. I believe Red Bull feels they have a legitimate chance to place in the top 3 constructors this season and the best way to get that done is with Ricciardo and Verstappen.

Just my opinion though.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years