Twin Sims... The Build

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Guess I better get the cockpit ordered soon!

1000006378.jpg

From what I read there are profile suppliers in the US where you could order the parts.
Theres also an online program for design and parts list.
I can´t be any more specific as I´m in Europe and designed my rig and monitor stand on paper.

Sim Lab response,

"Hello Andrew,

We expect to be back in a week or two top

Best regards,

Miloš Milojković
Sim-Lab Team"

I will keep my fingers crossed. He also said he would let me know when they were in. I think for now, I will order the rest to minimize possibility of other out of stocks in the next week or two....

Ok... Initial Sim Lab order (minus free standing triple monitor mounts and possibly the floor mats that are out of stock). COMPLETE!!!

P1X Pro Sim Racing Cockpit × 2
Sparco Seat Slider + bucket seat bracket × 2
Sim Cup holder × 2
Shifter & HB bracket × 2
Sim Mousepad × 2
Keyboard Tray × 2

Pedal slider baseplate × 2
Sim Shelf × 2
Sim-Lab Cap washers black (6x) × 1
Sim-Lab Cap washers blue (6x) × 1
Sim Floor × 2

Obnoxious shipping fees..... x 2 ... :confused: LOL

With those triggers pulled... I am down to:

Wheels
Wheel button box
H-pattern/sequential shifter.

A bit numb on wheels right now. Have it narrowed down.

So, moving onto Shifters.

Thinking a multipurpose H-pattern/sequential might be what I am looking for.

The Fanatic Club Sport at $260 each feels about the right spot. Can't imagine spending over a grand each on Pro Sims.

Moza comparable doesn't appear to be multifunction.

Simagic DS-8X ???

Thoughts?

With those triggers pulled... I am down to:

Wheels
Wheel button box
H-pattern/sequential shifter.

A bit numb on wheels right now. Have it narrowed down.

So, moving onto Shifters.

Thinking a multipurpose H-pattern/sequential might be what I am looking for.

The Fanatic Club Sport at $260 each feels about the right spot. Can't imagine spending over a grand each on Pro Sims.

Moza comparable doesn't appear to be multifunction.

Simagic DS-8X ???

Thoughts?
I have not owned the Fanatec CS, but lukewarm reaction from many owners indicates it might not be worth the $ with not much better shift feel than the multifunction $150 Thrustmaster TH8A. I have a sub-$100 generic Amazon H-pattern which feels TONS better than the TH8A which itself is not a bad option to row your own gears or use as a sequential.

I would strongly consider the Moza shifter pair for roughly the same cost as the Fanatec.

Simagic DS-8X is a chunk more than the Fanatec, but it has more features and reviews are favorable.

• Deleted member 197115

Fanatec SQ shifter has been serving me quite well for many years, abusing it almost every day. Had issue with sequential once (broken spring), replaced with spare part sent by Fanatec, and it's like new again. Had TH8A before, wouldn't recommend, very unnatural shifting action (using magnets or something), Fanatec while not perfect is a clear step up.
Was looking ad Simagic DS-8X recently, not sure if it's actually worth the upgrade and extra hassle of figuring out new mounting solution. Plus, plenty of breakages reports on Simagic discord alarmed me a bit.

For the Fanatec research reliability record, many videos on Youtube how to "fix it permanently" or at least for a few weeks.

I have an old Heusinkveld sequential for racing and a VNM H-pattern for fun.
The H-pattern feels ok for the price, the sequential mode is "a bit numb" and a pain to convert.
The VNM is well built, but not very well assembled. (Loose bolts, waschers under countersunk screws.)
I have a very early example, may be better now

Still talking shifters.

Maybe I am overthinking this... go figure.

How adjustable if the side mount one the P1X Pro? Looks like you can adjust until the upright almost hits the floor but that would kill where I was planning to mount the PC.

1711198085573.png

I recall (from 30 + years ago) from driving a stick that the top of the stick was around the top of your thigh. I would shift with my hand on top of the stick, rather than with a "thumb up", fist grabbing the stick.

Stealing a pic from Mark... here :D as it shows top of seat to top of shifter.

1711197735262.png

I understand that many may say "personal preference" when I ask how high I should mount a shifter but looking for a starting point. If I am going to have to mount my PC elsewhere, I would like to start thinking that from the start for wiring purposes.

Note: I am primarily concerned with use as an H-pattern shifter. Being that I am planning on a wheel mounted pedal shifter for sequential, I am less concerned with the shifter being dual purpose.

Summary of shifter review..

This will be brief as I am short on time right now but want to get this typed out.

4 at the top of the price range I reviewed that I believe are more than I need or otherwise not a good fit.

1. Pro Sim H
2. BDH
3. Bash Pro Active
4. MME Simsport

Those that remain (rough prices US):

Moza HGP $149
Fanatec Club Sport $279
VNM $279
Simagic DS-8x $369

I believe I have further narrowed to Fanatec or Simagic

At first, I was leaning toward Fanatec for ease of use by those unfamiliar with the shifter... labeled so forth and leaning away from Simagic but after watching a few reviews, the Simagic is really growing on me (figures it would have to be the more expensive one... ). The resting spot right between 3 and 4th... very symetrical to get to 1st and 2nd.. and again to 5th and 6th. Seems like a good design. need to activate pull up handle to get to R or 7th and 8th....

Goals for tomorrow.

1. Make final decision on shifter and get it ordered.
2. Order second seat.
3. Research wheel and wheel button box a bit more.

Last edited:
About the shifter task:

I'm dayliing a stick shift car, I've tracked and auto crossed it.

On the Sim I use the H-pattern only for cruising classics and truck Sim.

It just doesn't feel right, especially the clutch does not influence the shift. For years now I wanted to build a shift/clutch lockout so I could only shift when the clutch is fully engaged but never got around to it.
In a race it's chaotic and prone to mistakes.
(and most cars are sequential anyway)

TL:DR
Stickshift in the Sim is difficult for people who are used to it irl, from what I read that's not common in the US of A.

(Insert meme of "Seven Speed Theft Prevention Device here)

Last edited:
I've not found it difficult to use a clutch and stick in game.

I agree that not feeling the the clutch engage does take away a little, but I still enjoy it.

Some people end up not caring or using an H pattern shifter. I removed my sequential shift (an HE unit) because I never used it. I either use paddles or row my H-pattern shifter.

So before I give you my impressions, I'd suggest getting a less expensive unit just to see if you use it. It may be a huge waste to buy an expensive shift if you barely ever use it. Realistically I only use a stick in Rally with the old Group B cars and even some of them were sequential shift cars. There are VERY few cars in iRacing that allow using an H-pattern shift.

The main reason I replaced my Fanatec H-pattern shift was because I felt the centering spring was too light and it had no adjustment for that. I really like having a strong center spring. I felt the Fanatec worked well for H-pattern. I never liked it in sequential operation.

I have the Pro Sim H pattern shifter and I do like it. However, they have talked about a hydraulic lockout for many years that they have never released. I've been on the waiting list for what 3 ? years now. That would allow mapping the clutch signal to a controller that would mechanically adjust how hard it is to move the stick. The Shifter was designed from the beginning to take this external device and they designed both a top and side mounted device to do this. Last I checked their manufacturer didn't have bandwidth. I've all but given up on hoping they will produce this.

Despite how much l like the ProSim product, I would seriously consider the BDH today because it now operates as both a sequential shift and H-pattern shift.

The only weak points of the ProSim shifter that I've found are that it ships with 4 metal oxide bolts on top that I ended up replacing with SS because they rusted. No biggie there. The spring will need occasional cleaning or it would pit up.

The ProSim has two adjustments.
1. The engagement pressure, or how hard it is to push into gear.
2. The centering spring tension.

The ProSim definitely has a better sense of engagement than the Fanatec did and it also has a better sense of being a mechanical shifting unit.

I've not tried any of the other shifts listed.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back