Track Map Display (Extended)

Apps Track Map Display (Extended) 4.7.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
After some focus on getting into the "create_png" code, I've rewritten it to generate maps in a style closer to what Content Manager would generate. (the exe size grew to 21 MB though. Not sure what happened to the dependencies, but they have become big)

1658022722855.png
ks_nurburgring-layout-layout_gp_b.png

This is a recording result of the Nürburgring. Tried to drive as cleanly as possible to get a smooth line. (You might be able to spot one lockup). Start finish is automatically marked at the point the recording is started/ended.

First of all for track recordings, but I'll now look into parsing the fast_lane.ai and maybe somehow I get it to automatically generate maps for all tracks with an AI line, so that most of the maps will automatically have the same style and to get some configuration possibilities in for everyone.

This will not work for most of the freeroam maps though, as they usually do not have an AI line.

ks_nurburgring-layout-layout_gp_b.png
Here the result of the old create_png.exe with the same source recording. Notice the differences in thickness in some corners, also outlining was not possible, the image was not cropped and for bigger line thickness it was outside of the canvas. And it took way longer to generate.

Last edited:
I am a bit unclear on the class tags. How do I tell the app which cars is in a certain class?
You need to do that in content manager
1658078010220.png

You do not need "#" in front. A class tag is exactly what is written here. E.g. "street" could be one class tag, that you can use in the MapDisplay app.
If you have another class tag like "drift" the value for class tags in this app needs to be "street,drift".

If you now want to give these classes specific colors you can add the optional class colors. E.g. "ff0000,00ff00" would make "street" red and "drift" green.

it seems the numbers in the circles when using the Display position option, only gets updated once the cars pass the finish line?
That should only happen in time based modes like practice/quali (as the position is based on the fastest lap in there). In the race it should update dynamically directly when passing someone.

You need to do that in content manager
View attachment 583427
You do not need "#" in front. A class tag is exactly what is written here. E.g. "street" could be one class tag, that you can use in the MapDisplay app.
If you have another class tag like "drift" the value for class tags in this app needs to be "street,drift".

If you now want to give these classes specific colors you can add the optional class colors. E.g. "ff0000,00ff00" would make "street" red and "drift" green.

That should only happen in time based modes like practice/quali (as the position is based on the fastest lap in there). In the race it should update dynamically directly when passing someone.
so I make a new tag on a car to give it a class, but don't need the # in front?

My online races are usually timed races, not lapped, but I was testing with AI races and those are based on number of laps and it only updated the position number in the circle once they crossed the finish line..

so I make a new tag on a car to give it a class, but don't need the # in front?
You just need to enter exactly the tag. In the screenshot you can also see the tag "#small sports", there you need to add the "#" in the configuration since it is part of the tag. But it's not like the usual search mode for vehicles where a "#" just filters for tags.
1658080176611.png

You need to enter exactly the text from the left below the picture, not from the search.

My online races are usually timed races, not lapped, but I was testing with AI races and those are based on number of laps and it only updated the position number in the circle once they crossed the finish line..
On the first lap it might be different, if you start behind the start/finish line as there is an internal Assetto Corsa "bug" before crossing the start/finish line the first time.

It does not make a difference if it's a timed or lap based race. It just needs to be a "Race", no other mode. For the positions the official Kunos API is used. Are you really sure it updated exactly on the start finish line only and nowhere else? Maybe you selected Weekend mode and it was still practice/quali?

Last edited:
Really like this mod, however it seems like for certain non-Kunos maps, the vehicles are placed in the wrong positions on the map. It's almost as if everything has been shifted/offset by a certain rotation and translation. For example, on this map: https://www.vosan.co/tracks/anti-grip-grip-club/ the Kunos track display is correct while this mod is way off.

In this screenshot you can see the Kunos map (in the middle) is correct while Track Map Display (right) shows my vehicle way out of the track in green.

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.07.17 - 16.51.49.07.jpeg

Really like this mod, however it seems like for certain non-Kunos maps, the vehicles are placed in the wrong positions on the map. It's almost as if everything has been shifted/offset by a certain rotation and translation. For example, on this map: https://www.vosan.co/tracks/anti-grip-grip-club/ the Kunos track display is correct while this mod is way off.

In this screenshot you can see the Kunos map (in the middle) is correct while Track Map Display (right) shows my vehicle way out of the track in green.

View attachment 583519
There's a problem in the track configuration (not with the app). Seemingly the kunos map does not require the properties this app does but gets them differently.

In the file content\tracks\anti_grip_grip_club\data\map.ini are values defined about the map, that "Map Display" reads to scale and position everything correctly. In this example the track states:

WIDTH=260.9711
HEIGHT=258.9882

which should be the width/height of the map.png (in content\tracks\anti_grip_grip_club\). But the image is actually 460 by 458.

So adjusting that file to contain

WIDTH=460.9711
HEIGHT=458.9882

it's looking perfectly fine for me. Hope that helps. If this happens with more tracks I'd assume that the problem is in there. Maybe I can find a solution to at least calculate these 2 values instead of relying on that file, but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:
You just need to enter exactly the tag. In the screenshot you can also see the tag "#small sports", there you need to add the "#" in the configuration since it is part of the tag. But it's not like the usual search mode for vehicles where a "#" just filters for tags.
View attachment 583442
You need to enter exactly the text from the left below the picture, not from the search.

On the first lap it might be different, if you start behind the start/finish line as there is an internal Assetto Corsa "bug" before crossing the start/finish line the first time.

It does not make a difference if it's a timed or lap based race. It just needs to be a "Race", no other mode. For the positions the official Kunos API is used. Are you really sure it updated exactly on the start finish line only and nowhere else? Maybe you selected Weekend mode and it was still practice/quali?
I think it might have been the track causing the positions to not update properly, since it's a buggy track. I will do some more testing with other tracks both offline and online..

In the meantime, the Hide stopped cars thing is not always working. sometimes the cars in the pits are flashing on and off and sometimes they just show like regular cars.

I think it might have been the track causing the positions to not update properly, since it's a buggy track. I will do some more testing with other tracks both offline and online..

In the meantime, the Hide stopped cars thing is not always working. sometimes the cars in the pits are flashing on and off and sometimes they just show like regular cars.
I can increase the speed limit for stopped cars. Currently a car is "stopped" if it's speed is <0.1 m/s or <0.36 km/h. Maybe I could increase this by factor 10 to 1m/s or 3.6km/h. I guess there might be small flickers otherwise if a car is just really slightly rolling.

Do you have track + car examples for tracks where it's not working so I can check the values?

Last edited:
I can increase the speed limit for stopped cars. Currently a car is "stopped" if it's speed is <0.1 m/s or <0.36 km/h. Maybe I could increase this by factor 10 to 1m/s or 3.6km/h. I guess there might be small flickers otherwise if a car is just really slightly rolling.

Do you have track + car examples for tracks where it's not working so I can check the values?
I just tested with some random online racing servers. Maybe it happens if they have weird ping so their cars are 'vibing' in the pits. Might help to increase that value..

The file create_png is blocked by Avira Antivirus... I downloaded every update and this is the first time it happens.
I've created it newly, for 2.9 to allow for the map generation. I've just installed the python dependencies "pyinstaller", "Pillow" and "numpy" and packaged the "create_png.py" with that. So since you can see the source code, I did not add a virus on purpose ;)

Could you send me a screenshot of the Anti Virus message or something? Really would want to see, if I can get rid of that. I mean maybe it's a valid notification like missing meta data or something, which I could add. Maybe the exe compression is the problem... there are some possibilities. Anti Virus softwares work in weird ways.

Last edited:
Man don't worry never doubted you added it on purpose :D

Unfortunately I deleted it (and it costed me a lot of minutes, remove from quarantine, also download an app to delete it since it was impossible, restart the pc and finally it was gone)

For a couple of days I really don't have time to do this again... thursday I remember to try it again, it's a promise.

Last edited:
Man don't worry never doubted you added it on purpose :D

Unfortunately I deleted it (and it costed me a lot of minutes, remove from quarantine, also download an app to delete it since it was impossible, restart the pc and finally it was gone)

For a couple of days I really don't have time to do this again... thursday I remember to try it again, it's a promise.
Ok, no worries. I'm looking through guides in the meantime on how to correctly build the .exe so that this hopefully doesn't happen again. And I can test it online using VirusTotal. So you don't have to retest :)
(There had to be something with the exe, it was working too smoothly on my machine :cautious:)

Edit: I guess it won't be easy to fix the false positives. Even recompiling the whole build tool didn't help

Last edited:
I suppose that flagging the file as safety in the correct way should solve in any case the problem... I had to remove it cause Avira kept segnalling it

But for sure it is solvable also by myself next time

I suppose that flagging the file as safety in the correct way should solve in any case the problem... I had to remove it cause Avira kept segnalling it

But for sure it is solvable also by myself next time
I'll check some different methods. I've read that the pyinstaller I use does some tricks to generate really only one ".exe". If another output directory is used it might be safe.

Fixed version uploaded later.

AW939 updated Track Map Display (Extended) with a new update entry:

V2.10

• add sector and DRS indicators to generated maps
  • only possible if /data/overlays.ini (for sectors) and /data/drs_zones.ini (for drs) exists for the given track layout
  • increase standing still threshold to 1m/s
  • updated App Icon
  • updated create_png.exe compilation, should not trigger anti viruses anymore (but is 50% bigger)
View attachment 583833

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 180 66.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 116 43.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 125 46.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 73 27.0%
Back