It's that exiting yet slightly sad time we experience as sim racers. The piece of kit that you've gotten attached to and has done you proud over several years has just about had it and it's time for a replacement. For me its my Fanatec CSR that I need to replace but the question is with what. Personally, although the CSR has been incredible for me when it worked, it's never been a flawless experience and for Fanatec money you'd kind of hope it to be (although I recognise PC gaming is never flawless). I've been looking at the Fanatec CSL Elite with the formula rim (which for me as an open wheel fan is heaven). It weighs in at around £450-500 plus postage which is a fair amount and at the upper end of what I can afford, but I've been saving for a while knowing the CSR didn't have too much longer left in it. In theory, a more expensive and higher standard wheel means it should be even better than the CSR but the unreliability of my CSR leaves me slightly nervous about spending that kind of money on something I'm not 100% confident about.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is: 1. Have I just been unlucky with my Fanatec experience?

2. What do users think of the CSL Elite?

3. Are there any quality wheels (of any brand) which are a step up from the CSR but below the CSL that still support a clutch and H-shifter? (I've struggled to find any)

3. What comparable wheels are there? I've seen good reviews for the similarly priced Thrustmaster TS-PC wheel but I'm not sure. Besides, it would mean buying pedals and a shifter again:(

Oh and a final bonus point - I also own a PS4 and have missed not being able to use a wheel with console games, and whilst it's far from essential (and I mean well, well down on my list of priorities) it would be kinda nice to have :)

Thanks in advance, I'm already pretty excited :D

I use t 300 set up for ps 4
And Csw v2 + csp v 3 for pc

What i can say about Thrustmaster is that I have flawless experience great wheel and smooth, but in comparison with fanatec the all thing feels toyish, but the alcantara wheel is great.. for the pedals it s another story once you go load cell there s no turning back so not a fan of Thrustmaster pedals.

Fanatec on the other hand when it s working, I had 2 v2 remplacement and a rma ....
, so when it s working it s fantastic, the hardware, the wheel everything is beautifeauly crafted and I love to use it and it's producing strong and smooth ffb .
Client service has been great to me but it s always frustrating when you receive your toys and it s not working.
Csp v3 are great i mean really game changing love them.

All in all if i were you i ll go with the csl elite i heard a lot of good things it has all the v2 genetics and little less power but I never fully used v 2 power, t 300 can be an option too. If CSL Don t buy the crappy Xbox wheel thought. You re an open wheeler fan, I have the formula rim,it worth every penny fantastic wheel, really it s not playing in the same level that the Thrustmaster formula rim.
At the end of the day as an open wheeler fan you can t go wrong with the csl / formula rim combo.
BUT don t compromise on the pedals choose one of the Fanatec load cell ones.

Th8 rs shifter does the job but for a 100 bucks more you have the fanatec shifter and if like me you love to switch between Manual and sequential it s a no braine r the hardware is far better and a lot more convininent to use.

Upvote 0
I use t 300 set up for ps 4
And Csw v2 + csp v 3 for pc

What i can say about Thrustmaster is that I have flawless experience great wheel and smooth, but in comparison with fanatec the all thing feels toyish, but the alcantara wheel is great.. for the pedals it s another story once you go load cell there s no turning back so not a fan of Thrustmaster pedals.

Fanatec on the other hand when it s working, I had 2 v2 remplacement and a rma ....
, so when it s working it s fantastic, the hardware, the wheel everything is beautifeauly crafted and I love to use it and it's producing strong and smooth ffb .
Client service has been great to me but it s always frustrating when you receive your toys and it s not working.
Csp v3 are great i mean really game changing love them.

All in all if i were you i ll go with the csl elite i heard a lot of good things it has all the v2 genetics and little less power but I never fully used v 2 power, t 300 can be an option too. If CSL Don t buy the crappy Xbox wheel thought. You re an open wheeler fan, I have the formula rim,it worth every penny fantastic wheel, really it s not playing in the same level that the Thrustmaster formula rim.
At the end of the day as an open wheeler fan you can t go wrong with the csl / formula rim combo.
BUT don t compromise on the pedals choose one of the Fanatec load cell ones.

Th8 rs shifter does the job but for a 100 bucks more you have the fanatec shifter and if like me you love to switch between Manual and sequential it s a no braine r the hardware is far better and a lot more convininent to use.

Cool, thanks so much! I'm definitely err-ing on the side of the CSL and that formula rim looks so damn cool. What is it like to use when driving 'normal cars' though? If I went with the csl plus formula rim, realistically would I need to buy a another rim for road cars i.e. Cars that use more steering rotation or is it manageable with the formula rim?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I really like it for some gt 3 cars and hyper cars but it s awkward on classic formula cars or road cars or anything where you have to use a manual gear box.
Let me be clear it s working but I use my other fanatec wheel in those cases, I can understand the budget factor. Don't rush yourself on the Xbox wheel get that formula rim and get the one you want when you can afford it.Go for the Porsche / BMW rim or the hub + the wheel you like to have.
Those wheels are as pricey that they are beautiful

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks again Nico, I'm still pretty undecided and I'm still nervous about unreliability I've experienced with my CSR. But we'll see, I'll keep doing my research and nursing the csr along in the process :D

Upvote 0
I think the other thing is that Fanatec raised their prices for the Uk recently because of the pound being worth way less than it was (thanks Brexit) and obviously that's exaggerated fanatec prices. I'm always a believer in not skimping when it comes to gear like this but at the same time, logically, fanatec just doesn't seem like a practical option right now

Upvote 0
To put it in perspective the csl elite with formula rim costs $479.90 in the US store which translates to £383 whereas in the U.K. Store it costs €549 which translates to £467. I know it's not a huuuge difference in the grand scheme of things but spending £80 more for nothing really doesn't feel good

Upvote 0
I've had both Thrustmaster and Fanatec products. My T300 had some issues, was sent back to Thrustmaster for repairs twice in one year and they eventually sent me a brand new one (which still sits in the box wrapped in plastic). I also have the Fanatec GT3 RS V2 and the CSW V2, I used the GT3 for about three years and other than a slight, occasional squeak I never had any problems with it. My CSW is into it's second year now and so far no issues with it or any of my rims. I also rocked the CSR Elite pedals for about three years and had no problems other than an occasional squeak, and I've had my CSP V3s for about six months now with no issues. Granted I'm just one user so my experiences aren't representative of everyone's but don't believe that Fanatec products are automatically going to have problems.

If it were me I'd definitely go with the CSL base, but if you're only going to get the formula rim I think that would be a bit strange to drive normal cars with. Just depends on what kind of cars you drive the most I guess. I like mine ok but don't use it that much, it's kinda small. The BMW rim is fantastic though, such a solid bit of kit and impressive to use and to just look at. I have the CSL rim too, it's ok but kinda feels like a cheap toy compared to the others and I'm not sure I'll ever use it again since I have the BMW rim now, but it's fine. But, I also have no reservations about recommending a T300 because when mine worked it was a great wheel. It just doesn't compare in build quality to the Fanatec stuff though, it very much feels like a toy where the Fanatec stuff feels like you're dealing with some serious business. Ultimately, go with what you can afford. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your replies, I made my decision earlier today. I've decided to go with the thrustmaster T300 with the 599 alcantara rim (which I'm really excited about). I came to the conclusion that both brands have records of reliability and un reliability so it was a broad as it was long. So it came down to picking the best based on what I wanted. The T300 offers everything I need but still gives me scope to upgrade in a few years time if I wanted to. I don't want to say that I picked the t300 because it was cheaper but really I couldn't justify (or afford) spending fanatec prices, particularly when my CSR completely stopped working yesterday. Having said that, if I thought it was a compromise, there's no way I would spend so much on something which I thought was not fully what I wanted. Despite the price undoubtedly influencing my choice, it doesn't feel like I've compromised and can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime :D:D

Thanks again,

Jack :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your replies, I made my decision earlier today. I've decided to go with the thrustmaster T300 with the 599 alcantara rim (which I'm really excited about). I came to the conclusion that both brands have records of reliability and un reliability so it was a broad as it was long. So it came down to picking the best based on what I wanted. The T300 offers everything I need but still gives me scope to upgrade in a few years time if I wanted to. I don't want to say that I picked the t300 because it was cheaper but really I couldn't justify (or afford) spending fanatec prices, particularly when my CSR completely stopped working yesterday. Having said that, if I thought it was a compromise, there's no way I would spend so much on something which I thought was not fully what I wanted. Despite the price undoubtedly influencing my choice, it doesn't feel like I've compromised and can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime :D:D

Thanks again,

Jack :thumbsup:
Have fun with your wheel, I own a TX myself (same motor) and it's great. I have desire to upgrade but thats not because the wheel doesnt satisfy me in any way or form haha.

I've considered the 599XX rim or upgrading to something I make myself. Let me know what you think of it :)

Upvote 0
After a week I thought I'd share some quick thoughts about my T300:

Long story short, it's incredible. Everything about it is amazing. There are some annoying things but only because Thrustmaster wheels are different to Fanatec in that you could make spring, damper, rotation and FFB adjustments on the wheel whereas with the T300 you have to go into the control panel. Honestly though, the FFB is so so much more detailed, AC is on another level (even before the improvements in the update a few days ago). R3e is even better, I've always been a massive fan of the WTCCs in R3E but with this wheel they just feel right. And finally, RF2 has come alive thanks to this wheel. With my CSR I could never get the FFB dialled in no matter how hard I tried, but now I can finally understand and experience why people adore the FFB in RF2. It's only AMS I can't get this wheel dialled in the same way which is a shame because it was my favourite FFB and sim in general with my CSR. And the rim, its amazing. It's the same size as my CSR by diameter but it feels so much better. It's a little thinner in terms of the width and I think that helps add too the already great feel of the wheel. My only complaint being there aren't the same number of buttons on this rim as with my CSR but I'd take the build quality of the rim itself over buttons any day.

Only time will tell as to whether I've made the right decision long term but short term, this wheel is unbelievable!

Thanks everyone again, you've helped turn my race face into a permanent smile :D

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea