The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Track's pretty much finished, but I thought the village section looked a bit too neat and tidy :laugh: It kind of makes sense that people would drop their race day programmes on the floor.

Screenshot_ks_lotus_25_battenbergring_4-6-122-7-10-24.jpg

Last edited:
Still very slow progress due to how heavy my workload has been lately, but it is getting there. Most of what's here is still "sketched in" to see if I like the general direction it's going in, so there's no details to speak of, for the most part.

Screenshot 2022-06-04 155610.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 155819.jpg

One thing I'm still struggling with in general is the scale of stuff. This car is deceptively small. I'll model something that looks proportionate, then I get in game and see it all in VR and it's like... half the size it should be. This is a fairly small car, but the narrow middle console area really screws with my perception of scale.

I'm also trying to strike a difficult balance between "looks nice" and "this is a $40K sports car with an emphasis on lightness." Some ideas I've had are simply too high end looking and don't make sense, but I also want it to be a nice place to sit.

Last edited:
Yep I struggle with getting the scale of things right as well. Things can sometimes look completely off even just changing FOV in game.... To me your pics look very much in proportion tho

I try working with real units (which is such a pain in the ass in poly modeling sometimes, CAD is so much easier...) and then when I see it in position I doubt myself and think I've messed up my calculations somehow :laugh: I still need to add a lot of buttons to the console and I'm not sure where to put them all, yet. It looks like there's a lot of empty space but the space is deceptively small. Those smaller dials are only about 1CM in diameter, so they're quite little but they look pretty big for a volume dial under a screen. The screen, btw, is only about 5" across, diagonally. In pure numbers, the width of the screen is less than the length of the screen on my Pixel 6!

Luckily, like Sir Gordon Murray, I hate screens and literally only put one in the car so I could have a rear view camera, so I don't care that it's small. And it won't be a touch screen.

For reference, here's a direct comparison with the Kunos 718 Cayman GT4. Assuming its scale it accurate, there's a noticeable difference between the two cars. And the Cayman isn't exactly a large car itself...

Screenshot 2022-06-04 180201.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 180224.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 180250.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing with the same thing. Another car with no interior at all. The purpose being a variety of traffic for the LA Canyons, so you can drive a 59 Corvette or what-have-you around and see what you might have seen when it was new. So, cutoff date model year 1960. Largely American, largely not sportscars or racecars. Nice enough you can go past them doing 30-40km/h faster and not look weird but not get too nitpicky. Ideally with the factory paint options, but I'm not sure CSP's ai randomizer will do that correctly on these two-tones.

aHFQAW4.jpg

Chevrolet Bel Air 2 door and Dodge Coronet 4 door are finished. Third in line is a 1957 Mercury Commuter 4 door wagon. I took a few days break from modeling and then had kind of a slow start. The temptation to keep looking closer and adding more detail is real.

1957 is the first year of quad headlights and apparently Mercury made it an option partway through the year while using the same fender stampings, so it's got some kinda janky trim to tie it all together. Not the only company to bodge it on, there are some really ugly Packards that have even more of a "two small circles overlapping a big circle" design.

I'll be happy to see '57 Bel Air Sport Coupe by you! And corvair)

you could have put out some bins for people to use
Not sure where you live but the existence of and close proximity to a waste bin is in no way a guarantee people will actually use it... :laugh: (I laugh, but it hurts a little )
bonus points for the ground being clean near the bin!
He's all about the details, that @Fat-Alfie. It kicks the awesomeness of these old school circuits to 11!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.