The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

That stance will never get old...

V1Ybb6g.jpg

Still haven't figured out the popup headlights. Does the axis need to be Z forward or is that irrelevant?

When I tried to export both sides with separate axis Blender always moved the left light to the right on export.

h6ORpWq.jpg

Lots of tweaks and updates model and material wise mostly related to the dashboard, a pillars, door sills etc. Can't wait to show you guys the open door but it's not quite done yet.

Still haven't figured out the popup headlights. Does the axis need to be Z forward or is that irrelevant?

When I tried to export both sides with separate axis Blender always moved the left light to the right on export.

1592817014432.png

the dummy used for animated part doesn't have to be anything regarding its orientation.
Since you animate it from 0 to x frames

in one hand you create a ksanim with that dummy alone with animation turned on at export
1592817199101.png
open fbx animation, doesn't open anything, it just creates a ksanim file if the FBX file has some animated keys

and on the other hand, you have that dummy part of the export of the car
so the game can then apply the ksanim to that said dummy

the dummy used for animated part doesn't have to be anything regarding its orientation.
Since you animate it from 0 to x frames

in one hand you create a ksanim with that dummy alone with animation turned on at export
View attachment 383433 open fbx animation, doesn't open anything, it just creates a ksanim file if the FBX file has some animated keys

and on the other hand, you have that dummy part of the export of the car
so the game can then apply the ksanim to that said dummy

Thanks man! I never did the 'open fbx animation' part. So with my animation working correctly in Blender and as long as all the parts show up correctly in the editor this should work then. Same for the doors I assume?

Thanks man! I never did the 'open fbx animation' part. So with my animation working correctly in Blender and as long as all the parts show up correctly in the editor this should work then. Same for the doors I assume?
yes, same for all ksanim (like steering animation too). Stereo's blender plugin can actually directly export ksanim, no need to go through the KSEditor (makes testing much faster). Also newer Blender variants can't export the fbx format anymore that the Editor needs for animation.

yes, same for all ksanim (like steering animation too). Stereo's blender plugin can actually directly export ksanim, no need to go through the KSEditor (makes testing much faster). Also newer Blender variants can't export the fbx format anymore that the Editor needs for animation.

Ok, understood. I downloaded that plugin, seems very cool for testing and since I'm still using 2.79b it shouldn't be a problem. How come my instruments and steering wheel work even without the animation though? Or is that simply best practice and to ensure rotation limits?

all the instruments and steering are set by a dummy (maybe it's possible with just the object name, but anyways), and rotation are set on the ini files. Those dummies tho, need their xyz axis to be correct !

Ok, that makes sense. I had all that set but my dials were turning around the z axis instead of y (in local space). I now rotated the dummy with z-forward and hope that'll fix it.

By the way I do not recommend opening an fbx and then loading the animation...

kcF8RdX.png

:roflmao:

When I hit load animation beforehand it did nothing as you said - where does it put the animation files though?

I've been working on this since ~November or so. First attempt at track modding, still taking baby steps with Blender. Massive, massive thanks to @Fat-Alfie, @LilSki, @The-IC and @Johnr777 for all of their guidance, wisdom, patience and a few textures.

There's still a long way to go, but I'm quite pleased with how it's shaping up (especially for my first go at this) and I'm finally confident enough with it to show publicly.

20200620200924_1.jpg
20200621215910_1.jpg
20200621215945_1.jpg
20200621220158_2.jpg
20200621220231_1.jpg
20200621220354_2.jpg
20200621220431_1.jpg
20200621220525_1.jpg
20200621220537_1.jpg
20200621220613_1.jpg
20200621220637_1.jpg
20200621220951_2.jpg
20200621221014_1.jpg
20200621221144_1.jpg
20200621221300_1.jpg

I've been working on this since ~November or so. First attempt at track modding, still taking baby steps with Blender. Massive, massive thanks to @Fat-Alfie, @LilSki, @The-IC and @Johnr777 for all of their guidance, wisdom, patience and a few textures.

There's still a long way to go, but I'm quite pleased with how it's shaping up (especially for my first go at this) and I'm finally confident enough with it to show publicly.

View attachment 383570View attachment 383571View attachment 383572View attachment 383573View attachment 383574View attachment 383575View attachment 383576View attachment 383577View attachment 383578View attachment 383579View attachment 383580View attachment 383581View attachment 383582View attachment 383583View attachment 383584
How did you create those rock formations? They look beautiful!

How did you create those rock formations? They look beautiful!

Thanks! I tried several things and never quite got where I wanted with it, so I wound up purchasing a medium detail set of cliff rocks from a 3D site (with a full usage license). I placed them all along the areas I wanted the cliff faces and combined them together, then decimated the mesh to bring the poly counts down. Worked out pretty well; I can't take the credit for the end result, though!

Well, you should be in good stead, that's some track building royalty right there boss... :thumbsup:

Absolutely! The patience and generosity with their time are the reasons this is going to see the light of day :) Can't them all enough

This track will be a huge hit when it's released (imo). The layout has that classic vintage track design, where the surrounding terrain dictates the layout of the track, and not the other way round.

It has oodles of elevation changes, blind crests, fast swooping curves, hairpins, chicanes, a little bit of everything, really.

I've been lucky enough to have had my hands on this track since the early stages of its development, and it's been a real pleasure to watch it grow from a simple ribbon of tarmac floating above an empty terrain, to what will certainly be one of my favourite tracks in AC. I only wish I had designed it myself :laugh:

This track will be a huge hit when it's released (imo). The layout has that classic vintage track design, where the surrounding terrain dictates the layout of the track, and not the other way round.

It has oodles of elevation changes, blind crests, fast swooping curves, hairpins, chicanes, a little bit of everything, really.

I've been lucky enough to have had my hands on this track since the early stages of its development, and it's been a real pleasure to watch it grow from a simple ribbon of tarmac floating above an empty terrain, to what will certainly be one of my favourite tracks in AC. I only wish I had designed it myself :laugh:

Kind words from one of the best in the "biz." Thanks, mate!

Glad to hear that I hit my target, re: track design. That's all exactly what I was aiming for :D

Ah, was wondering if it was fictional of factual. Looks fantastic.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.