The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

what a lovely thread !!
making AC great again one mod at the time...

i'll participate with my few cents
been fighting with ways to make the leather pattern + ao
trying redo the real things, some are... funky!
View attachment 327524 View attachment 327525 View attachment 327526 View attachment 327527

ao for plastic & metal parts aren't done yet :whistling:

I thought these were photos until I noticed they were all taken from the exact same position. Crazeeeeeeeeeeeee detail! :confused::thumbsup:

I will share soon, more than 300 logos from my collection. (best resolution, no aliasing 128x128 png)
logos.png

my collection.png

KYALAMI 2016 UPDATE :)

Been a while since I did an update here, so here goes:

Getting to a place I can start sharing a pre-release build.
Want to get this thing done at least a couple of weeks before the 9 hour race on the 21-23 Nov.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/Motorsport/why-the-return-of-the-kyalami-9-hour-is-such-a-big-deal-for-sa-20191001

http://kyalamigrandprixcircuit.com/pebble.asp?relid=2322

The track has been built off photogrammetry data and I had some really good data to work with in the end. The track is accurate regarding layout, widths, bumps, elevations etc.

Still got a lot of work to do to get this polished, so figured Ill just get it out there in a semi-unfinished, but drivable state and then do updates from there.

V0.6 Download will be available in the next few weeks.

I3pip9D.jpg

Bq29Rvb.jpg

J9yX9Ga.jpg

YFA1FHB.jpg

SIDE BY SIDES

42yPbhK.jpg

jHXwGmu.jpg

uQOXFLc.jpg

xbqSrpt.jpg

Rough and dirty quick lap around the track in the current build.

ok now.. w o w.
with some home made photo ?
Did you manage to make it look like that ingame or is it a 3D render ?
Also bonus question, do you still use the ks_tyre or not (with the shadow issue thingy still not fixed)
Whhhhhhaaat!?! Holyyy ***** that's amazing! U found some super hi res photo or what?

I like to create the tire textures from scratch, and yes, even though that's a render, those are the same textures I'll use in game. Here's an example of how the ks_tyre shader it looks on the 993 with already resized and compressed textures:
__custom_showroom_1570196456.jpg

Back on the Turbo tires, it's all normal map + proper shader and textures
screenshot055.jpg

For the sidewalls I start with a stretched picture of an actual sidewall to use as reference, then build a height map to make the normal map
Screenshot_4.jpg

Screenshot_6.jpg

As for the tread, I make a piece of it in 3D using a picture for reference, then bake that into a flat surface to make the AO and Normal map
Screenshot_7.jpg

For the final textures I use Quixel, then use those maps to adapt them into the AC format.

KYALAMI 2016 UPDATE :)

Been a while since I did an update here, so here goes:

Getting to a place I can start sharing a pre-release build.
Want to get this thing done at least a couple of weeks before the 9 hour race on the 21-23 Nov.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/Motorsport/why-the-return-of-the-kyalami-9-hour-is-such-a-big-deal-for-sa-20191001

http://kyalamigrandprixcircuit.com/pebble.asp?relid=2322

The track has been built off photogrammetry data and I had some really good data to work with in the end. The track is accurate regarding layout, widths, bumps, elevations etc.

Still got a lot of work to do to get this polished, so figured Ill just get it out there in a semi-unfinished, but drivable state and then do updates from there.

V0.6 Download will be available in the next few weeks.

I3pip9D.jpg

Bq29Rvb.jpg

J9yX9Ga.jpg

YFA1FHB.jpg

SIDE BY SIDES

42yPbhK.jpg

jHXwGmu.jpg

uQOXFLc.jpg

xbqSrpt.jpg

Rough and dirty quick lap around the track in the current build.

Looking great! The texture work look very, very natural. Looking forward to this one :)

The only way to keep them alive is to use 8.8 AL for the diffuse, and 8.8.8 RGB for the normal map, otherwise, you know how DXT5 goes :rolleyes:
Ones I've done recently were a pain - one because they had a lot of colour in the sidewalls, plus front and rear were quite different... so can't use 8.8 AL. Thats 2k*1k and 8.8.8.8 to have it not destroyed. :redface: Luckily its just for a standalone use, so I can get away with spending a bit more.
If I was to release it here I'd just have to halve the textures again, lose the detail rather than accept DXT5 molestation :roflmao:

Ones I've done recently were a pain - one because they had a lot of colour in the sidewalls, plus front and rear were quite different... so can't use 8.8 AL. Thats 2k*1k and 8.8.8.8 to have it not destroyed. :redface: Luckily its just for a standalone use, so I can get away with spending a bit more.
If I was to release it here I'd just have to halve the textures again, lose the detail rather than accept DXT5 molestation :roflmao:
Yeah using colors is a different story on the tires, but remember there's no need to put the high res maps on the kn5, it could be on the skin folders if you have enough room there, while leaving a low res inside the kn5.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.