Cars The Need For Speed

Nice, you're making very fast progress! :)

I would probably smooth out those arches around the center console bit though...
Thanks!, nothing you see there can be considered final anyway, I usually leave the edge smoothing for last once I get the shape right (and it's a bit off atm).

Nice, you're making very fast progress! :)

I would probably smooth out those arches around the center console bit though...

I love when A3DR announce his cars, he usually says that he will have limited time for it and then they are finished to super high quality in no time :D:D:D

It's like he posts a screenshot of a front spoiler with like 10 polygons super early stages, he goes 'anyone have any detail pics of that front area?' while you go out on the net and into your automobilia archive sorting out some great images you go back to post them and see a completely finished, high gloss super hq render posted by him, he goes 'you guys think the stitching on the steering wheel should be bicolor or tricolor?'

:D

LOL yeah I try to be as efficient as I can with the limited time I have, wish I could spend more time on these kind of projects but gotta pay the bills too ;)

It's a good time to mention that I'm getting great reference and info from Michael Puckett, who happens to be the president of the VCA (Viper's Club of America) and has access to a phase 1 RT/10 himself sot hat takes time to get the pics I need and moving on.

@Some1 here's what I've meant about the shape of the center console / controls panel, it wasn't quite right so now I've adjusted it did the proper smoothing around the edges.

screenshot000.jpg

There's also an issue with the dashboard curvature, it's still not exactly right, so I'll be getting proper reference from Michael, also on the light switch that goes below the speedometer.

Screenshot_10.jpg

Back to single material previews this time, so I can get a better idea of how everything fits together.
Did some adjustments to the seats and some panels and detailed doors, while waiting for some pics of the real car to finally adjust the dashboard curvature closer to what really is, amongst other details.

screenshot003.jpg
screenshot001.jpg
screenshot002.jpg

Happy to say I've got some nice close up pics of that area in the dashboard and turns out my model is not that far off, only minimal tweaks around the bezels needed and that should make the dash just right
IMAG1577.jpg

I've also been doing some small adjustments here and there on the 2 first cars

New tail / brake lights for the 512:
Screenshot_a3dr_ferrari_512tr_skidpad05_7-3-118-14-48-45.jpg

Improved rim shader:
Showroom_a3dr_ferrari_512tr_8-2-2018-5-29-42.jpg

New paint shader for the VT
Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_8-2-2018-5-35-47.jpg

And a new color addition:
Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_8-2-2018-5-35-22.jpg

Now that's an epic bit of modelling! Superb job so far mate... Still looks awesome even without it's paint.
In a way, I find these single material previews more exciting to look at because you can truly see the work that went into the car. As you know, sometimes you can fake it by using a texture/bitmap to simulate something modeled. With these renders you see exactly how incredibly detailed the models are. Or, in your case, how detailed your finished PCH track or LA Canyons track is.

I hope some day you decide to do a timelapse video modeling a car from start to finish, @A3DR. I learn so much better when I can see something done, rather than told told what to do. I just love your work so much.

In a way, I find these single material previews more exciting to look at because you can truly see the work that went into the car. As you know, sometimes you can fake it by using a texture/bitmap to simulate something modeled. With these renders you see exactly how incredibly detailed the models are. Or, in your case, how detailed your finished PCH track or LA Canyons track is.
sometimes its the other way around, and astonishing how much you can do with just texture maps, normalmaps and a good diffuse, especially on A3DRs cars.
For the quality he produces, the cars need surprisingly little vertices.

I hope some day you decide to do a timelapse video modeling a car from start to finish, @A3DR. I learn so much better when I can see something done, rather than told told what to do. I just love your work so much.
Yeah I agree, it nicely shows the intricately aligned polys.. Dan's using a chisel... and in comparison I'm using a JCB lol My JCB skills are improving though... maybe oneday I'll get the detail level refined down to shovel level :laugh:

sometimes its the other way around, and astonishing how much you can do with just texture maps, normalmaps and a good diffuse, especially on A3DRs cars.
For the quality he produces, the cars need surprisingly little vertices.
Yeah I also agree with how much can be done with normal maps... and detail textures... and even the alpha channels. I've started finding the diffuse less important though... Just a basic colour / shade map... But it is interesting when you get them all in sync what a difference it makes.

I fail to remember, was the ingame C4 also a pre-facelift like the one in the showcase video, but not the (facelifted) one in the showcase pictures? It's hard to remember as I'd rarely see the 3D model's front.

Thanks, it's probably the facelift given the lights (side is joined to the front with a black corner, amber light nearest to the wheel), and no black trim. Tbf, as a kid growing up in the 80s, I prefer the one being modeled.

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 94 91.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 35 34.0%