Cars The Need For Speed

I've used that "proper H pattern" on my S800 (is not THAT proper as you can't adjust it to a gated shifter for example), but then like mentioned above there's the lack of different hand animations so... I don't get why they've implemented that kind of h pattern if no animations can go with it.
could you share how to do that with us? (I'd love to use it on the Exo Rod)

I've used that "proper H pattern" on my S800 (is not THAT proper as you can't adjust it to a gated shifter for example), but then like mentioned above there's the lack of different hand animations so... I don't get why they've implemented that kind of h pattern if no animations can go with it.
I think a simple up-down shifting animation is sufficient most of the time. How often do you see the drivere shifting gears anyway? Only when driving in cockpit or when viewing the shifter specifically in a replay...

I think a simple up-down shifting animation is sufficient most of the time. How often do you see the drivere shifting gears anyway? Only when driving in cockpit or when viewing the shifter specifically in a replay...

Says the guy who doesn't like to do pedals :roflmao:
I get what you say of course, is no big deal anyway. I find it strange that they've implemented one feature but left out another that's all.

could you share how to do that with us? (I'd love to use it on the Exo Rod)
You mean the predefined H pattern? just use a SHIFT_HD dummy placed at the pivot point of the shifter lever and there you go.

no need for keyframes then? I assume DIR_ could be used to add more linkage?
All it does is add vibration and move it to the proper position based on the pivot center, if you link anything to it most likely will make weird movements... give it a try though :)
Check out my S800 see how it's done, very simple stuff, no need for keyframes at all. Works similar as the REAR_AXLE dummy.

Last edited:
Says the guy who doesn't like to do pedals :roflmao:
I get what you say of course, is no big deal anyway. I find it strange that they've implemented one feature but left out another that's all.
I guess what I wanted to say is that perhaps AC devs thought the same thing... like investment in development is not worth the detail... :) It's like most racing games to date do not implement lights correctly -- bulbs are always on/off, never fading in/out :)

give it a try though :).
Parented a LINK Empty with the linkage to the SHIFT_HD, DIR_LINK to the gearbox housing - ignored by AC

Parenting the DIR_LINK to the SHIFT_HD was interesting: All the empties were rotated in the direction of the SHIFT_HD - and motion was amplified by distance to it. Meaning at 50cm distance the shift linkage was wrecking in a half meter radius :roflmao:

In short it doesn't work

Parented a LINK Empty with the linkage to the SHIFT_HD, DIR_LINK to the gearbox housing - ignored by AC

Parenting the DIR_LINK to the SHIFT_HD was interesting: All the empties were rotated in the direction of the SHIFT_HD - and motion was amplified by distance to it. Meaning at 50cm distance the shift linkage was wrecking in a half meter radius :roflmao:

In short it doesn't work
Well, you've tried :D

We've been talking with @arthur666 about doing the Highway Patrol car and decided it'll be the proper 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 as it was in the original game:

DOSBox 2018-03-05 17-23-08-77.jpg
DOSBox 2018-03-05 17-24-55-32.jpg

So that'll be next once I'm done with the Porsche, since Arthur already has a good set of physics for it.
@Phoenix77 there you go, finally we'll get a proper police car with a shotgun inside :D

Last edited:
Just checked, they're sourced from Johnson Controls. They also built all Recaro seats for NA at the time, that's probably where the similarity comes from. Reminds me a lot of the Recaro seats in my E30, that square shape the big bolsters, shoulder support. Those must be a pleasure to sit in.

Just checked, they're sourced from Johnson Controls. They also built all Recaro seats for NA at the time, that's probably where the similarity comes from. Reminds me a lot of the Recaro seats in my E30, that square shape the big bolsters, shoulder support. Those must be a pleasure to sit in.

That's some serious digging you did there, how did you find out? interesting to know.

Back on the Viper, did most of the paneling work on the interior, still some fitting adjustments need to be done but it's getting there

screenshot065.jpg
screenshot062.jpg
screenshot061.jpg

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 418 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 262 43.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 284 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.9%
Back