Cars The Need For Speed

Well, it took over 2 years and a half to finish this project, started on April 2017 so is not as easy as it seems to plan another one. For now I'll keep expanding on this nice selection we already have, so there will be more cars but outside this thread, well, except for the Highway Patrol Mustang I've got planned which was the original cop in the game (and somehow can catch a Diablo :roflmao:).
Heh, don't forget the bonus car called Warrior. It was in the Special Edition, at least...

cf37b210d11e784ab91b044e88a17db1.gif

:roflmao:

It's the second coming of the "The Car Built for Homer". At the time, even the "Bullet" rocket bonus car on Graffiti's Screamer had a less offensive rear (jet fighter/batmobile-like), instead of a 50's Café balcony.

Last edited:
Yeah, the design and concept behind it is pretty stupid, but with the game and general weird 90s concepts being a big part of my childhood, i kind of like the look of it, if just for reminding me of that time. Same goes for the Nazca C2 in NFS2 SE.

Concept cars are great, but I'd say throw in a real one, like this one maybe? :D
1.png

It's a "97 though. But that is one nice car...
Plus it's a Volkswagen.

Last edited:
As a side note to this whole thread, I always wondered what it would be like to model something like this back in 1993, 1994... so after building a nice 486DX2-66 for some retrogaming action:

_DSF35338.jpg

Decided to install 3DStudio 3 and give it a shot to get a feel of how it would be
20190914_060636_HDR.jpg

And Photoshop 4 for that matter...
20190914_061409_HDR.jpg

And of course running TNFS at it's lower res (320x240) given the minimum requirement was a 486DX2-66
20190914_071704_HDR.jpg

Oh yes, the struggle was real :geek:

I still wonder why EA did not skin the porsche/ferrari logos on the 3d models and cockpit ? Weird because porsche/ferrari names are in TNFS menu

I reckon EA should of done what Accolade did - release car and track packs. Yes technology/graphics improved, but NFS1 was the best.

p.s

Doing a bit of testing on City Segment 1... (I'm no A3DR haha)

I'm having to flatten the turns a bit as the cars can't go through as quick as what we're used to...
1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
20190914_061409_hdr-jpg.324422

so that is why Gimp does look the way it does :geek: PS had the same "weird" docks Gimp had till last major release?

You should do the LOD_D or something in that old 3D Studio to honour it :D

btw is that an IDE adapter with a SD card in it replacing a floppy or the whole harddrive?

I reckon EA should of done what Accolade did - release car and track packs. Yes technology/graphics improved, but NFS1 was the best.

p.s

I'm having to flatten the turns a bit as the cars can't go through as quick as what we're used to...
View attachment 324440
View attachment 324441

NFS 1 had the best physics and tracks. After than the handling of the cars was pure arcade and all the tracks were loops, no point to point racing.

To be fair I'd imagine back in the day the companies used special expensive computers for 3d modelling like silicon graphics workstations. Not 486 home computers.

p.s

View attachment 324440
View attachment 324441
Interesting, planning on recreating the track?

20190914_061409_hdr-jpg.324422

so that is why Gimp does look the way it does :geek: PS had the same "weird" docks Gimp had till last major release?

You should do the LOD_D or something in that old 3D Studio to honour it :D

btw is that an IDE adapter with a SD card in it replacing a floppy or the whole harddrive?

Never used Gimp, but I'm surprised how Photoshop from 1994 still has almost the same layout today.
Yeah that's an SD to IDE adapter to avoid dealing with old IDE HDD's (which I have a bunch but I wanted something more reliable and practical to copy files to). For the FDD I use a Gotek drive.

To be fair I'd imagine back in the day the companies used special expensive computers for 3d modelling like silicon graphics workstations. Not 486 home computers.
Maybe, but that's how I would've done it back then, well, not even, because I'd hardly be able to afford 3dsmax, or a 486 for that matter :giggle:

Photoshop 7 to Photoshop CS 1, I think? Or maybe CS1 to CS2
That's Photoshop 4.0... but not sure I understood your post.

"Interesting, planning on recreating the track?"

I used the birds eye view map as close as possible for a start, but the corners came out too sharp when testing so I softened them a bit so it has the same 'flow/feel' as when run in the original. You just couldn't carry the same speed through the corners. I did a 1:54 in the Diablo which sounds bang on NFS, however I made a few errors so I think that's still too quick. The good news is it works ok even now.

I'm also totally open to the more experienced taking over. If the end result is an improvement then its a win/win in my book.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Forum trophies