Team ORSM

But as you said - this part on these cars doesn't fall off these days unless the car is totally wrecked therefore are we trying to achieve realism in the formula for the sake of something that isn't real. I guess I would have to ask now... what is your question or haven't you already answered it yourself? Surely the effect is probably modelled in the RACE07 series of cars better as these cars do lose the front splitter. I would then say - is the game that good a simulation that would really be noticeable whilst sitting in the office chair with a G27 steering wheel?

When you say "Or by mis-use
smile.png
of the fenders as was done here with this mod." What do you mean by the mis use of the fenders?

Well, SimBin non open wheelers, in my opinion are actually done incorrectly and have positive drag for the front splitter and therefore, having it removed by impulse makes the car faster in a straight line, but at the loss of downforce.

My original question here, I seem to have answered for standard non-open wheelers. With respect to V8SC specifically, as you and I have stated, they seldom loose the front of the car at all. Whincup or Lowndes (I forget) show this perfectly at Hamilton a year back :)

The re-cycling of the Fender is here:

Code:
[LEFTFENDER] //(not used in V8FU as the left fender but as a way to add the raw lift component to the body using a different point of force)
FenderFlareRange=(0.0, 0.0, 1)      // front fender flare
FenderFlareSetting=0
FenderCenter=(0.0, 0.45, 1.6)       // center of fender forces (offset from center of front axle in ref plane)
FenderDragParams=(0.406, 0.0, 0.0)  // base, 1st, and 2nd order drag per meter flare
FenderLiftParams=(0.020, 0.0, 0.0)  // base, 1st, and 2nd order lift per meter flare
FenderSideways=(0.1)                // dropoff in downforce with yaw (0.0 = none, 1.0 = max)

One of our members at Fair Dinkum Gamers made a Trackconfig file that addressed the problems of not being able to select different gear ratios and also allows for Sprint and Control tyres to be changed whilst in a game server, (without having to leave the server and return)

Both the server and client must have the file installed otherwise the HDV mismatch will be a problem.

Here's the Trackconfig he made.

[link removed] This file is zipped up and needs to be decompressed first

[MODERATOR EDIT: Sorry FDG Stitch but I'm afraid posting a link here to a file modification that will cause mismatches is a definite no no. The locked diff and tyres are not a problem - they are a deliberate feature to make each season historically correct at each track. You can direct users to your website if they are going to race on your servers with the modified file.]

Thanks to FDG Goanna

REMEMBER TO BACKUP THE ORIGINAL FIRST.

Also remove the original completely from your rFactor install.

Simply renaming the original does not seem to work.

The game still seems to find the original Trackconfig

For the 1.1 version the file may need to be renamed to TrackconfigV8SC11 and placed into the V8Factor11 folder.

The trackconfig file needs to be installed at
\GameData\Vehicles\ORSM\V8factor11

If it does not want to replace an existing file you are probably installing to the wrong directory. (unless you have already removed it)

These tutorials are to help with V8Factor but the concept used is the same for all mods.

Original Author= Mojoman ORSM. For V8Factor.

Photoshop CS

Start by hiding the text layers you don't want and change the names to yours. You'll have to move the left (top) one across a bit if the length is different to the original.

Now use the text tool to write the number on the windscreen. Arial Black is the font we used, 247, 247, 0 is about the right color, and 66pt is about the right size. Rotate it somewhere around -100. I think the real font used is Helvetica (on the name also) so you might want to try that if you have it, the size would most likely be different though.

V8Factor Unleashed now uses Helvetica font. Arezzo-Bold is a close font to this that is free.

Make duplicate layers of the text layers you're using (right click on the layer in the list at the bottom right and Duplicate Layer) then move them up to the Alpha Layers group, make sure they're above the main alpha layer. Now select these layers one at a time and change the colour to white (use the text tool and select the text, then change the colour at the top).

Now make sure you have the "Alpha Layers" layer set selected (right at the top) and press Ctrl-E to merge the layer set (it's also in the Layer menu). Now you should have a single layer called Alpha Layers instead of the layer set.

Press Ctrl-A to select all, then Ctrl-C to copy the layer (you might want to undo the merge after copying the layer). Now go to the Channels tab (it's just above all the layers) choose the bottom layer (Alpha 1, click on the name or thumb, not on the eye) and press Ctrl-V to paste. Right click on the image and Deselect.

Now click on the top (RGB) layer, then go back to the Layers tab, and hide the "Alpha Layers" layer.

This would also be a good time to save the PSD , but make sure you don't save over the template.

I recommend saving it to a TGA first, then open the TGA and save that as DDS (DXT5 ARGB). You might also want to make one at half size (512x512), that's the size we used for the windows packaged with the mod. The Hires skin pack should have full size windows (1024x1024)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photoshop 7

Start by hiding the text layers you don't want and change the names to yours. You'll have to move the left (top) one across a bit if the length is different to the original.

Now use the text tool to write the number on the windscreen. Arial Black is the font we used, 247, 247, 0 is about the right colour, and 66pt is about the right size. Rotate it somewhere around -100. I think the real font used is Helvetica (on the name also) so you might want to try that if you have it, the size would most likely be different though.

V8Factor Unleashed now uses Helvetica font. Arezzo-Bold is a close font to this that is free.

Make duplicate layers of the text layers you're using (right click on the layer in the list at the bottom right and Duplicate Layer) then move them up to the Alpha Layers group, make sure they're above the main alpha layer. Now select these layers one at a time and change the colour to white (use the text tool and select the text, then change the colour at the top).

Now make sure you have the "Alpha Layers" layer set selected (right at the top) and press Ctrl-E to merge the layer set (it's also in the Layer menu). Now you should have a single layer called Alpha Layers instead of the layer set.

Press Ctrl-A to select all, then Ctrl-C to copy the layer (you might want to undo the merge after copying the layer). Now go to the Channels tab (it's just above all the layers) choose the bottom layer (Alpha 1, click on the name or thumb, not on the eye) and press Ctrl-V to paste. Right click on the image and Deselect.

Now click on the top (RGB) layer, then go back to the Layers tab, and hide the "Alpha Layers" layer.

This would also be a good time to save the PSD , but make sure you don't save over the template.

I recommend saving it to a TGA first, then open the TGA and save that as DDS (DXT5 ARGB). You might also want to make one at half size (512x512), that's the size we used for the windows packaged with the mod. The Hires skin pack will have full size windows (1024x1024).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chrome Effect.

To achieve chrome we use the alpha channel on the templates. This controls the depth of shine the car gets. A good rule to remember when working with the alpha is WHITE is maximum shine. BLACK is flat matt. (No shine).

On the top of the layer list on the templates there are Alpha layers. These are for you to edit as you wish to alter the amount of shine the car or parts of the car have.

First create the livery you want using white on the parts you wish to chrome latter. Once the livery is finished look at the livery for the things you wish to chrome. Is there anything crossing this airier? If they do Duplicate the chrome layer, Duplicate all things crossing it. Merge the "Copied" layers but not the chrome layer copy! Lock transparency on the merged layers and paint this out black.

Merge the black layer to the "Copy" of the chrome layer. Use the wand tool and remove all the black parts in this layer. Now you should have a white layer that fits around all logos or colours that you don't wish to give chrome effect.

Drag this chrome "Copied" layer to the top Alpha layers. Click on the eye on all the alpha layers to show them and you should now see a grey scale example of the template with a white airier that represents the airier you wish to chrome.

Now this is were it gets tricky.
Click on the eye for all the alpha layers so they don't show and now you can see your coloured livery. Go to the original layers you wish to chrome. These layer are currently white in colour. Now white doesn't make a good chrome on these cars. I change all the white I wish to chrome to a grey scaled colour. I change all the white "chrome" airier to R.31 G.31 B.31. A dark grey. This is a airier for you to trial till you get the effect your happy with.

Save to DDS.
Method for Photoshop or program that has a channels tab.

Important note
The shading layer in the Alpha set is set to Multiply mode. Merge the layers belong this layer first. Merge the shading layer. To get the best chrome, Merge the WHITE area on top of the shading layer so this layer remains stark white.

To save, Use the same method as you would to do the windows. Merge the Alpha layers. Ctrl+A (Select all.) Ctrl+C (Copy layer). Go to the top of the layer list and click on the Channels tab. You now should see 5 layers. Click on the bottom layer named Alpha 1. Ctrl+V (pasd) your new alpha. This should now look the same as the merged alpha layers. Click on RGB layer above the Alpha 1 before clicking on the Layers tab at the top of the list.

Click on the eye to close or Un-show the merged Alpha layer. Now you should see your colored livery. Click on the Layers tab at the top left corner, Near the bottom of the drop down see "Flatten Image".
Save to DDS at the location of your new team.

Check the chrome effect. You may wish to change the grey scale used on the Chrome layers on the template. (Not the one in the Alpha Layers. Leave this White.)

To paint and save Wheels
The template is quite self explanatory so some very simple trial and error tests would have had you on the right track quite quickly. You do need to save in DDS DXT5 so the chrome ones remains chrome and the other colored ones keep their shine.
Save naming is similar to all the other components, Just add the word "Rims" Example, BRI_25Rims

It maybe a idea if your still having trouble to show us a pic of the template and the wheels in-game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In answer to
AUS Hellraiser said:
mmmm no luck think its just me but all i got was light numbers and name on windows.

That means their not being put on the alpha channel.
Open it in Photoshop. Top Alpha layer, You should see below a layer called ALPHA. All the layers above this are were your alpha parts are. These are all in grey scale (No colored layers) Click on the eye to show this layer.
basealpha.png

Now click on the eye to show all the other layers of the things you want to show on your windows.
alphacomplete.png

Ok these two shots above are from Paintshop Pro X1. The moves shown till here are the same in either program. Though now comes the parts that Paintshop want do so we now need to use Photoshop.
In photoshop, Have the layers you want inline above the main alpha. (Pictured just above)
Click on the top of these layers you want and Merge. To Merge in Photoshop, Hold Crtl, Click E. This will merge down one layer. Repeat till you reach the layer called ALPHA.
Now you have all on one layer.
alphamerged.png

Having this layer highlighted, Hold Ctrl Click A. This selects all. It selects all of that layer! No more then that. However, If you don't do this first you want get all of the image on that layer.
Still holding Ctrl click C, C will Copy this layer.
Now open Channel Tab
alphachanneltab.png

Click on the bottom layer. (Alpha 1)
Now Pasd your Copied layer to this channel. Hold Ctrl click V, V will Pasd
Should go from this...
beforebw.png

To this
aftercf.png

Now go to the top layer in the Channel tab and click on it.
Go back to the layer Tab.
Now hide the Alpha layer you were just working with. (Click on the eye to hide)
Now you should see your colored layers.
coloredo.png

Now go to the layer tab at the top left of the photoshop window. open the drop down and click on Flatten Image.
flatten.png

Now save as DDS to your cars windows

G'Day all.
I want to personalize the mags for the Lucky 7 car and have been able to do the 16 spoke mags by creating a DDS file called 11_JRR_47Rims and painting on that DDS template, but it only has the 16 spoke mags present. The 12 spoke mags are not on that DDS template.
Where is the Lucky 7 12 spoke mags DDS file kept and do I have to alter any INI file so that when I paint that 12 spoke mags DDS file for Lucky 7, it won't interfere with any of the other cars 12 spoke mags if that DDS file is shared with other vehicles?

Thanks.

G'Day all.
I want to personalize the mags for the Lucky 7 car and have been able to do the 16 spoke mags by creating a DDS file called 11_JRR_47Rims and painting on that DDS template, but it only has the 16 spoke mags present. The 12 spoke mags are not on that DDS template.
Where is the Lucky 7 12 spoke mags DDS file kept and do I have to alter any INI file so that when I paint that 12 spoke mags DDS file for Lucky 7, it won't interfere with any of the other cars 12 spoke mags if that DDS file is shared with other vehicles?

Thanks.

Hey

There are 2 types of Rim templates needed to be used based on the number of rims the series has used over the years.

To paint the 12 spoke control rims, this is done on the 6sp template (have a look at the Walkinshaw 2011 folder).

If you paint that the colour you want, and name the file 11_xxx_xx6sp.dds then it will change for you

Well done on the new mod guys, you should be very proud of your work.

One little quirk I have found is thus. I've been painting an FG (not sure if the other models are the same) and the fuel filler inlet doesn't come out either black or as something like polished steel. In fact, what you paint on the RIGHT of the car, comes up on the LEFT side filler cap in spinner. I have narrowed this down to the line "Upgrades=11_FFF_Upgrades.ini" in the VEHVWR file, because I changed it to SBR and it rectified the problem.

I understand it's not a big issue and something that not commonly come across as most cars are symetrical left to right. But logos are sometime over this space and I just thought I'd let you know in case it was a simple fix and there were more patches planned.

I hope this helps guys.

To continue the conversation here as I'm interested.

The base drag on the front of a tin top is about 0.35 to 0.6 for the front of the car, pending make.
The splitter (being 50/80ml below the underbody of the car it should only add a very small amount if any to the drag on the front lets say 0.05, rFactor removes this when the splitter gets removed with the downforce.

The question we have to answer is, dose the front of the car with the splitter removed have more drag than the drag from the frontwing (not taking into account the front of the car as it's already in the cars base drag), I would say yes, and will it not only cancel out the drag on the front splitter, even increase it, I would say yes again, the front of the car isn't very aerodynamic with the splitter removed.

To sim this add the extra drag for the front wing/lower part of the splitter to the base drag and give the front wing a negative drag so when it's removed you go slower.

Cheers Gary

Well done on the new mod guys, you should be very proud of your work.

One little quirk I have found is thus. I've been painting an FG (not sure if the other models are the same) and the fuel filler inlet doesn't come out either black or as something like polished steel. In fact, what you paint on the RIGHT of the car, comes up on the LEFT side filler cap in spinner. I have narrowed this down to the line "Upgrades=11_FFF_Upgrades.ini" in the VEHVWR file, because I changed it to SBR and it rectified the problem.

I understand it's not a big issue and something that not commonly come across as most cars are symetrical left to right. But logos are sometime over this space and I just thought I'd let you know in case it was a simple fix and there were more patches planned.

I hope this helps guys.

Hi. So, you are referring to the "colour coded" filler that FFF use.. Didn't say I noticed that one, but we weren't reskinning that model and even with the other cars in the series, they are all symmetrical as you said.

However, the reason why we included the Community cars in there was to allow you to use them as the basis for your own skin designs and team racing. You can update a car in these folders to be in the 2011 season to challenge the other teams if you wanted to.

But if you are doing it to run your own team as FFF, then I can see the issue you have. The only prob would be in changing the INI file, you may screw it for online racing, but by doing it in the community folder, that would be eliminated your team in there anyway.

Based on feedback so far, I would be suggesting no patch is in the near future, but this should be a very basic fix, so I will check with Kev and see.

crome

hey mate just wondering how to acheive crome effect on paint jobs im half way through a skin and am using the same colour used in the team vodadone skin but my car looks grey ingame not crome some help would be much appreciated

Gday again
My US Mate has been trying out the temps that came with the 1.1 update ...

6202348112_7c0c33226f_b.jpg

6201836885_de8364c756_z.jpg

6201837167_b84ff08553_z.jpg

Cheers
OzAndy :)

ps Has anyone have uncontaminated BF window temps - external and cockpit? The one in the official upgrade has stuff on the alpha layer as you probably know ...

Hiya Gary,

You have come to the same conclusion as I (for a sim). As some front splitters have adjustment on tintops have the extra "clicks" of downforce adjustment, this can be modelled into the FWDragParams 1st order variable as positive drag, and the base variable for the FWDragParams is negative drag.

To adjust any currently released vehicle is not so complicated, as the FWDragParams needs to have a new negative base value and the difference of the total drag of the vehicle needs to be added to either the FenderDragParams (once this section is added to the .HDC/.HDV) or to the BodyDragBase for the simplest fix.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 424 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 266 43.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.5%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 126 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.4%
Back