Team ORSM

Hi Neil,

I totally do not confess to be a master of the physics model in gMotor (albeit that I have become a master of learning what doesn't bloody work, esp in Race07 :) ), but one of the things that I had to nut out when I worked on the free F1 2007 DLC for Race07 was the effects of the aero forces created by the FW, RW and Body. But, I'm starting to think that some testing is required on non-open wheel (tintops) cars, as the drag of a front wing on open wheelers does exist as a positive value and therefore once removed by impulse that drag (and of course Lift(downforce)) would have a value of zero, producing a small speed benefit at the cost of a large loss frontal downforce. Whereas on a tintop the front splitter is used to produce both reduced drag and in most cases in racing negative lift (downforce).

The way to test this is on a faster track with a modified damage model and FW setting. Set the FW to have 0 downforce so that the effects of it being attached or not does not effect the front grip and set the damage model to require 1N of impulse to remove the FW. The to remove it you simple need to brush a pit wall and it's off without any other effects on the car. then you can re-test the effects with it removed. This requires a driver that can produce multiple laps within 0.1xx of each other. Again, the test track doesn't need to be difficult, simply one that in normal circumstances wing settings and therefore drag makes big differences in lap times. Then a simple comparison on the lap times (or maybe terminal speeds at the fastest point on the track or MoTeC data feeds for a specific section of the test track) with and without the front splitter and it's drag effect can be determined. I guess that if the drag values was exaggerated on the splitter, this in theory would exaggerate the differences.

I would say that two sets of tests using:

FWDragParams=(-1.0, 0.0, 0.0) <<theory being that a large factor of drag would be added if splitter gets removed
&
FWDragParams=(1.0, 0.0, 0.0) <<theory being that a large factor of drag would be removed if splitter gets removed

both with:

FWLiftParams=(0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

Would give us the answer.

I have, for sometime thought that the effects on tintops FW needs to be separated from the visual and the effects. As in a V8SC never looses the splitter but does get redesigned on track a lot and this has a big effect on the front aero, but I'm quite sure that is not modeled in gMotor until the splitter is completely removed. I'll have to check my notes again when I finish work about partial aero damage effects.

So, My feedback time..

Dr McCoy. The sides seem a little plain at present. Have you tried the USS Enterprise image from the roof starting on the rear quarters, and a reduced size STAR TREK on an angle down the sides?? I think the Red Nebula is a great addition, but not on the rears. I think it would make a fantastic bonnet image (with the StarTrek logo along the front), and the heads on the roof at 45 (corner to corner)

Thanks for the feedback. It was only really just a test of a few things within CS5 Photoshop. I originally planned to parody the Mother Energy/Star Wars Ford but when I got stuck in the Star Trek thing it just grew more and more to what it is. I'm currently planning to polish it up, (following your feedback) and doing seprate ones for each series (The Original/Animated Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise and The Alternate Reality Series)

I love the new mod guys well done,

I noticed that there I more bait more grip in the controls(awesome!) and like how the sprints are a challenge and that my times on the controls have increased but my times on sprints drops of about 1 sec. Also love the ai tough to get away and tough to overtake! And also well done on the 2011 skins aswell

So thanks again for this awesome mod guys!

A couple of skins I have thrown together the last few days.

2008 888 Team Vodafone (Whincup and Lowndes)
GRAB_024.jpg

2008 TOLL Holden Racing (Tander and Skaife)
GRAB_023.jpg

Hope you like.
My 1st high quality skin attempts

Well, after doing a bit of testing on a runway, I have the conclusive results on the FW and it's effect on aerodynamics with respect to drag before and after removal by impulse.

Already known, was the fact of the loss of Lift (downforce) effect after sufficient impulse to remove the FW, but I can also now confirm that the associated drag effect, either positive or negative, created by the FW is also removed after sufficient impulse to remove the FW.

The result of the test tintop car running a FWDragParams=(1.0, 0.0, 0.0) gained a 50km/h increase in terminal speed at the end of the test runway when the FW was removed on track by impulse effect before test run was started. The inverse was also true when testing FWDragParams=(-1.0, 0.0, 0.0), the test car lost 50km/h when the FW was removed on track by impulse effect before test run was started.

On a side note, I also discovered that the game (Race 07 in this test) will lock-up/CTD when the car is being loaded on track if the total default drag is less than 0.000

My feelings on this now is that on a tintop like the V8SC, is that the FW must have a base FWDragParams of less than 0 so as to have the expected increased aerodynamic drag effect applied when it is removed. But, the 1st and 2nd order effects must still remain positive integers. With the 1st order, simple because to reduce the Lift requires more effective AOI, which therefore creates more drag by default. With the 2nd order, no effect is completely free of charge and therefore the disruptive turbulence value is also applied as positive drag integer too.

I don't know about setting things up in rFactor on the physics side but when you say if the splitter is removed the drag is "increased" I'd say it's decreased. If the downforce is removed then so is the drag. Downforce creates drag. To set a rear wing and splitter to give the car downforce it's actually working on the air flow to push the car down to the road. The splitter also has the under body defuser which directs the air flow under the car which in turn creates a vacuum of air under the car again creating downforce. Remove the front downforce the air can flow freely under the car thus creating some amount of lift = less drag. The reason the lap times full away isn't because the car has more drag. It's because the cars downforce is reduced and grip is reduced. The V8's can corner at quite high speed. Reduce or remove downforce and the cornering ability of the cars is also greatly reduced even though they could possibly get 5 to 10km faster in a straight line but cornering speed and stability is greatly reduced.

Yeah Capitanul we picked that up just before we were to release it. So we know of it but we didn't what to hold back on the release any longer.

Cheers and thanks to all for your great comments and feedback.

Yeah Capitanul we picked that up just before we were to release it. So we know of it but we didn't what to hold back on the release any longer.

Cheers and thanks to all for your great comments and feedback.

From our view, this didn't have any real impact from a gameplay perpective, and like you said only happens when manupulating the chase camera (and potentially only at night).. Again another time the cars will be limted in use.

There is also another minor issue we know of with the shaders at night that make the skins "wash out". Hopefully the rF2 shaders will be improved and this will be better when released..

In a non open wheeler vehicle it is acceptable to have negative front wing drag at the base setting, as long as this is factored in the BodyDragBase=variable. Doing this will mean as you damage and lose your front bumper(which doesn't happen these days as GR said) you actually lose top speed because it was producing negative drag. If you lose your front spoiler, air flow becomes rough and flows over the newly exposed wheels, creating extra drag.

In a non open wheeler vehicle it is acceptable to have negative front wing drag at the base setting, as long as this is factored in the BodyDragBase=variable.

Or by mis-use :) of the fenders as was done here with this mod. I say mis-used as in only the naming the function doesn't match the applied use, It's more a recycling of a normally unused function in this type of car.

We have to look here at the limit of the damage model (Limited to 12 debris objects + the wheels and a few other components), and what is currently being created to fit this damage model. Every car I have looked closely at combines the tintop front splitter (lower, generally flat looking extension) and the front bumper into one 3D object or multiple 3D objects, but grouped under the same Instance=DebrisX which means they share and are effected as one via the damage physics file. Look below to see what I mean by the two parts:

FullFW3D.jpg

Full FW Assembly

Bumper3D.jpg

FW Bumper Assembly

Splitter3D.jpg

FW Splitter Extension

Since these tend to be grouped, there is a need to model the effects of the aerodynamic advantage of the main bumper assembly as it redirects air over the bonnet and around the side fenders (we don't have to worry about the brake ducts as these are separated in the chassis physics .hdv/.hdc file in the brake section) and also model the drag and negative lift of the splitter both when attached and also the loss of these effects (streamlining, lift and drag) when removed by impulse.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Weekly at lan events

• Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events