Talk 'n' Drive: Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ - Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa - Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ 4.jpg Assetto Corsa - Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ.jpg Assetto Corsa - Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ 2.jpg Assetto Corsa - Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ 6.jpg Assetto Corsa - Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ 7.jpg Assetto Corsa - Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ 8.jpg
@BrianB has created something wonderful.. give a warm welcome to the exceptional Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ mod for Assetto Corsa...

Unbelievably this is the very first mod for Assetto Corsa from Brian, and I'm sure you will very quickly agree the detail, thought and attention lavished on one of the most beautiful cars ever produced by Alfa Romeo is a very welcome addition to the simulation, and an incredible debut in the modding scene from @BrianB

You can download the wonderful Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ V1.00 HERE.

Assetto Corsa - Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ 3.jpg

Now I've said this once already, but it really is worth repeating once again. This is the very first released mod from @BrianB, making the quality and experience behind the wheel all that more impressive for it. With such a beautiful, and mercifully historic car now available to download for Assetto Corsa, we took the chance to have a chat with Brian to get some idea as to the motivation and level of work that goes into creating such a mod.

I've wanted to create mods and release something since the game was in early access. We own a car which, afaik, has never been in any game before, so I wanted to do it myself. This got me into learning 3D modelling. This actually was around the same time Gary started with his Transit.

So for a year or two I practiced making 3D models and getting them in game, but it never really went further then a basic shell with the physics from a different car.

(Then) Just over a year ago someone appeared in the modding section here with a model of the Alfa TZ, asking if anyone would like to put it in game. A couple of days went past without anyone offering help, so I saw the opportunity to finally create something that might actually get to a release, and offered to do it - Be aware that it can be an incredible time sink, and it's easy to lose motivation if you don't know a lot about it. I actually had a couple of moments where I didn't touch the car for weeks. But I kept coming back to it because I really wanted to release it. So it's a matter of pressing on and not giving up.

Plenty of modders in the community are also happy to help out. The 'dumb questions' thread in the modding section here was very useful to me for example :roflmao:

What I think also helped is that I offered to get the car in game for someone else. Because of it I knew at least someone was eagerly awaiting the car and I felt some sort of obligation to finish it. Creating a WIP thread and occasionally posting progress also helps, because getting kind feedback from the community also gave me motivation boosts.

For me it has been a lot of fun, however if I was to be the main highlight I'd have to say getting it in game, seeing it improving, learning something new and applying it to improve the looks of something. All these thing made me very happy through the build. And although not part of the build, all the positive feedback after release is amazing as well.

The most challenging for me personally was all the texture work. I feel like I'm still barely scratching the surface of what's possible in photoshop and other texture tools. And to be honest, there are plenty of textures of which I still feel like they can be much better. For example the tires, most of the interior, and the damage.

I think it could have been released a month or two ago already, but it would have lacked things like damage and animations. And I wanted the initial release to have everything, so I kept going until I felt like it had everything that was required.

It started with wanting to make a car we own which has never been in any game before, but it was looking unlikely that it would get anywhere. So when I got the opportunity to work on something that could actually get released I went for it because I loved the idea of releasing something.

Finally, if I may, I would like to thank everyone for the kind words and amazing reviews. Reading them really makes me happy. And of course also thanks for some of the constructive criticism. I've already got a small list of things to take a look at or update, which hopefully won't take too long...

Assetto Corsa - Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ 5.jpg

Available to download HERE, the Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ is an incredible little classic car and one that is sure to be a pleasing addition to anyone interested in historic content for Assetto Corsa. Born of a desire to learn modding and carried through the often difficult process by the support and encouragement of the excellent Assetto Corsa modding community, this car and project really is an incredible good news story for AC modding, and well worth the time to download and try for yourself. Having already seen some very positive reactions from the community, the Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ is something that @BrianB and all involved with the project should be rightfully proud about... bravo!

Please, if you download a mod here at RaceDepartment, spare a thought for the modders who put in such incredible work for us to enjoy. Leave a comment and rating for the mod, and let those responsible for continuing to bring us such entertainment know how you feel about their work.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Share your thoughts on the mod below!

DKGORACE

Premium
Nicely played Paul, driven this and seems to be a bit more tail happy than described. Although it's still brilliant. Seems like a mid/rear engine car handling than what it is for getting loose. IMO. Cheers again! Sideways is always fun but not for track times.

I love this little car, the handling feels very plausible to me. I wouldn't describe it as massively oversteery like the OP though. It is more inertia/roll slidey for want of a better phrase. Way more enjoyable to drive than the vanilla Alfa Romeo GTA IMO. What is it with Paul and his fronts and rears... "engine note behind me" :D

A bit of Feldbergring action in the TZ:

I downloaded this car when It had been available here and It's a very and absolutely brilliant works on this !

I gave all my congratulations and my warm thanks on the dedicated slot on RD.
I just tried it on Magione just after the download and I loved the works on the physics, one of the best I met for a free mod. :inlove:

This mod is a must have if you love old cars and if you are an Alfa-Romeo fan ! ;-)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Always cool to hear an insight from the content creator. Hope to see even more of this type of article on RD in the future!

Your wish will be granted sir! This sort of thing will become a regular deal... worry not :)

Far preferable imo to the F1 articles or other 'IRL' motorsport topics
TBH I agree with you to a degree, however its about growth for the site. We firmly believe every race fan can be a sim racing fan, and if we can draw in some of that crowd, even just 1% of F1 fans, and they can see and get hooked on sim racing, then our wonderful niche will grow, and everyone wins!

TBH I agree with you to a degree, however its about growth for the site. We firmly believe every race fan can be a sim racing fan, and if we can draw in some of that crowd, even just 1% of F1 fans, and they can see and get hooked on sim racing, then our wonderful niche will grow, and everyone wins!
Yeah I get that. I'm a big F1 fan myself, but for me I'd much prefer go to a dedicated F1 site for that sort of news.

I love RD, but I love it for the sim racing content, I don't think there is anyone out there that does it better. But similarly I think there are better places for F1 news that are able to cover it in better detail etc, with journalists with actual insider information (like you do with the GTR3 news).

So yeah, I understand the need to grow, but for me I'd prefer a more focused site which plays to its strengths, rather than try to be a jack of all trades. :)

I supplied the 3d model and BrianB did such än amazing job! It was a Free to use model which cost me 70$. Then i had more money to spend and was even concidering 2-3 models (Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ, Giulietta Sprint, 1900 CCS).

It was great to follow BrianBs development! He did an amazing job!
Sadly my trusty t500rs burnt this summer so o havent even tried it!

I saw the model you put up and thought "Crikey!! Bloody georgous". Great to see it brought to life by Brian. Kudos.

This Alfa did quite a bit of endurance racing on both sides of the Atlantic in the middle. It competed in the 1960's in the GT 1.6 class. It's direct competition was the Porsche 356, the Sunbeam Alpine, the Osca 1600, the Lotus Elan among others. Of these, only the Porsche is available in AC, to the best of my knowledge.

I often wondered why we don't have more vintage racers like this in AC. Lotus seems to be especially overlooked; the Elan and Europa would be fine additions. I'd love to see the OSCA's, but they aren't very widely known.

I'd love to give it a try, but I can't get my copy to load ... something goes awry in the extraction process and I only get parts of the files. I've tried a several times/several ways since it's been posted with no success. It's on my list of stuff to do today.

Last edited:
I'd love to give it a try, but I can't get my copy to load ... something goes awry in the extraction process and I only get parts of the files. I've tried a couple times since it's been posted and it's on my list of stuff to do today.
If you use Content Manager you can simply drag and drop and it sorts out the rest!

Also I'm very keen on the Elan, I'd love to have time to make that one day, specially one of the ones Jim Clark owned. From the small amount of research ive done it seemed there was some nice info available.

If you use Content Manager you can simply drag and drop and it sorts out the rest!

Also I'm very keen on the Elan, I'd love to have time to make that one day, specially one of the ones Jim Clark owned. From the small amount of research I've done it seemed there was some nice info available.

I had a Porsche customer who owned one and he got me to work on it for him. He bought a workshop manual so I'd have one in the shop if I needed it. If it would do any good I would forward it to you ... but, as you say, there is a LOT of material on these cars out there.

My favorite was the Europa, especially the JPS version. It's on the top-ten shelf of my 1/18 scale model collection.

I would call these cars "quick" rather than "fast". As a group none really could go much over one hundred .... twenty ... or so MPH, but all did very well in the twisty bits. Great fun to drive.

I'd love to give it a try, but I can't get my copy to load ... something goes awry in the extraction process and I only get parts of the files. I've tried a several times/several ways since it's been posted with no success. It's on my list of stuff to do today.
Hmm strange. No one else has reported that it didn't work. Just dropping the cars folder in your content folder should do it. You can ignore the skin templates folder.
Otherwise try content manager like Gary said. I tested it with CM and it worked fine, so if that also goes wrong maybe try downloading again.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.3%
  • €151-500

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 74 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 10.2%
  • €3001-5000