Tracks Sveg, Sweden

I'm not actually sure what public beta would mean in a mod. Is there any difference besides the name?
Guess not. And I'm no fan of it!
It might be good if someone has a nice and working version done and can't work on it for a year or something to complete it. I wouldn't call that a beta though, but instead a "sorry guys but that's the final version for now".

Doesn't make sense for this track in my opinion since you are clearly making progress currently and will release it once it's done. And that should be the only version then for some time I guess :)

One day somebody will release a mod that's perfect in every way from the very beginning, needing no tweaks, adjustments or fixes of any kind.

But since that's probably not going to actually happen, any initial release is a de facto public beta. Don't stress too much about getting it "done" before you release it. There's always going to be something you missed, and the community will probably find it for you. :)

Not saying you should rush a release, but... even the pros need a hotfix or two after every patch.

One day somebody will release a mod that's perfect in every way from the very beginning, needing no tweaks, adjustments or fixes of any kind.

But since that's probably not going to actually happen, any initial release is a de facto public beta. Don't stress too much about getting it "done" before you release it. There's always going to be something you missed, and the community will probably find it for you. :)

Not saying you should rush a release, but... even the pros need a hotfix or two after every patch.

I am aware of that, and I'm not rushing it. Of course I have a list of things I want to get done until 1.0 and a list for what comes after, but what comes after will be called 1.1 unless it's a hotfix. Calling the first version something like 0.9 doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless there would be major things missing, like replay cameras and AI line etc.

So in order to answer the question, no the beta will be closed and only available to a few select people who will help with a few select things. The first puplic release will be complete with all important features. It's planned to be released in about 6 weeks from now and it will be called 1.0. Like, I've been working on it for 3-4 years, so you can wait another 3 days in the end for me to make a proper AI line and replay cameras ;-)

"public beta" would mean if 1.0 is considered a complete working release track/car, the 0.5 to 0.9 according to the level of completeness of the mod (what you consider at least)
Some people prefer to release a almost full working version of a track, in this case, with cameras, AI lane, whatever is needed.
Other modders would release a drivable/raceable version of the track lacking some details, with a known issues list/to do list
But the basics completed.
Just look around the download section. If you're after the good reviews just release when you think it's ready. Sometimes releasing a early (but not so early) release, is good for some feedback

Tried to load it into game for the first time in a really long time but it crashed. Can somebody tell me what's wrong? :)

Code:
[SESSION_0] TYPE: 4
Creating physics track: sveg []
ADDED TRACK SKIN OVERRIDE: default
LOADING MODEL content/tracks/sveg/sveg.kn5
VERSION=6
Loading 10 textures
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/water.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/water_NRM.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/landscape.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/map_painted.dds FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/map_painted_mask.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_gravel.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_grass.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_forest.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/_null.dds FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_NRM.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/water.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txDiffuse  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/water.png
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/water_NRM.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txNormal  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/water_NRM.png
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/landscape.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txDiffuse  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/landscape.png
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/map_painted.dds FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txDiffuse  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/map_painted.dds
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/map_painted_mask.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txMask  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/map_painted_mask.png
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_gravel.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txDetailR  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_gravel.png
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_grass.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txDetailG  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_grass.png
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_forest.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txDetailB  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_forest.png
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/_null.dds FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txDetailA  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/_null.dds
SKINNED TEXTURE content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_NRM.png FOUND, OVERRIDING
Assign texture override for textureless kn5. RES: txDetailNM  FILENAME:content/tracks/sveg/texture/env_detail_NRM.png
DEBUG TIMER: TrackAvatar::init3D():1626.692518
LOOKING FOR: content/tracks/sveg/ai/fast_lane.ai
DEBUG TIMER: AISpline::calculateNormals:0.000257
LOOKING FOR: content/tracks/sveg/ai/pit_lane.ai
NO PIT LANE FOUND: content/tracks/sveg/ai/pit_lane.ai
Scanning 0 points
SPLINE POINTS COUNT : 0  | PAYLOADS COUNT : 0
Hint file :content/tracks/sveg/data/ai_hints.ini not available
DEBUG TIMER: INIT TRACK SPLINES:0.137277
DEBUG TIMER: TrackAvatar::initPhysics():0.223749
IDEAL LINE FROM AI LINE
WARNING: TRACK :: NO POSITION DATA FOUND
TRACK LENGTH: 0.000000
DEBUG TIMER: TrackAvatar::TrackAvatar:1631.271158
[RACE] FIXED_SETUP: 0
[TEMPERATURE] AMBIENT: 26.000000
[TEMPERATURE] ROAD: 35.000000
[WIND] SPEED_KMH_MIN: 0.000000
[WIND] SPEED_KMH_MAX: 0.000000
[WIND] DIRECTION_DEG: -1.000000
[RACE] CARS: 1
Kunos Simulazioni: CRITICAL ERROR
CANNOT HAVE 0 CARS IN RACE.INI

CRASH in:
OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x100-0x1
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 00007FFDD1E09E08)
00007FFDD1E09E08 (KERNELBASE): (filename not available): RaiseException
d:\dev\dev_pc_master_race\acs\racemanager.cpp (398): RaceManager::initOffline
d:\dev\dev_pc_master_race\acs\racemanager.cpp (174): RaceManager::loadSessions
d:\dev\dev_pc_master_race\acs\sim.cpp (313): Sim::Sim
d:\dev\dev_pc_master_race\acs\splashscreen.cpp (319): SplashScreen::postRender
d:\dev\dev_pc_master_race\ksgame\game.cpp (181): Game::onIdle
d:\dev\dev_pc_master_race\ksgame\game.cpp (210): Game::run
d:\dev\dev_pc_master_race\acs\acs.cpp (477): wWinMain
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c (618): __tmainCRTStartup
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 00007FFDD4CB2774)
00007FFDD4CB2774 (KERNEL32): (filename not available): BaseThreadInitThunk
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 00007FFDD5780D51)
00007FFDD5780D51 (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlUserThreadStart

Seems like the spawn points are missing or messed up in some way. But just to be safe rename any audio_sources.ini or camera_facing.ini files as well as rename the AI folder just to rule out the usual suspects.

So before I get back to that issue I have a different one: The AC editor requires me to have a detailA texture for the ksMultilayer_fresnel_nm shader. Without it, the export fails, but with it (I put an 8x8 px 100% black dds graphic in) it just overrides the specularity (alpha channel) from the detail textures:

first picture with the setting I want (which can't be exported):
01.JPG

second picture with the all-black dds file in place for detailA:
02.JPG

So I thought I'd just make the txMask texture all transparent to kick out the influence of the detailA (and saved it as a dds with DXT5, 8bpp). But this resulted in a really bright surface, so I set the magicMult to 0.5 to compensate. Now however, I can see that there is a mixture of all my detail textures everywhere, even where I specified only one to be active with the RGB colors. For example, in this picture it should be 100% gravel/ sand as the detail texture, with no grass mixed in:

04.JPG

I don't really understand what issue you have, too much shine ? Then reduce fresnelmaxlevel, as it is full now

Tarmac specular multiply is very high too.

Also you are using a lot of brightness, ambient, diffuse and magicmult values are very high, I guess your textures are dark.

Also normalmap brightness also has an influence on these things IIRIC. But I'm not sure if it is different when it is used as a detail. I like it more when it is 1x1, but then it has to be big, and weights a bit.

Also do details has their own specularity ? I would like it. So far i failed with it IIRIC, maybe have been doing something wrong. That shader is quite complex.

I don't really understand what issue you have, too much shine ? Then reduce fresnelmaxlevel, as it is full now

Tarmac specular multiply is very high too.

Also you are using a lot of brightness, ambient, diffuse and magicmult values are very high, I guess your textures are dark.

Also normalmap brightness also has an influence on these things IIRIC. But I'm not sure if it is different when it is used as a detail. I like it more when it is 1x1, but then it has to be big, and weights a bit.

Also do details has their own specularity ? I would like it. So far i failed with it IIRIC, maybe have been doing something wrong. That shader is quite complex.
No it is a texture issue. Pretty sure I got it sorted just waiting for LeonS to try it. I do agree some of his settings are a bit on the bright side.

Just FYI, I need to change the approach to the forest.

Currently, even with shadows disabled for stand-alone trees and without any 3d grass (i.e., minimum details) I'm getting somewhere around 70 fps min and maybe 80-90 mean.

For comparison, on Kunos' Spa at full detail I get between 95 and 110, and a min of 86.

My goal is not to get the same performance as the Kunos tracks, but at least for the minimum details version I want the min fps to be in the 90-100 fps range.

I hope I can still keep the Christmas deadline. Work on (and beta-testing of) the physical mesh will begin in the next few days and will be conducted in parallel to figuring out the performance issues in the forest section.

I don't think that poly count has that much to do with frame rate, for tracks. It's more about DIP count and large areas / lengths of single contactable mesh.

I got the DIP of Thomson Road down to around 700 with a single car, and that had quite a lot of vegetation.

If you are using multiple .kn5 files and the models.ini, you could try adding the files one by one to see which is causing your frame rate problems.

I don't think that poly count has that much to do with frame rate, for tracks. It's more about DIP count and large areas / lengths of single contactable mesh.

I got the DIP of Thomson Road down to around 700 with a single car, and that had quite a lot of vegetation.

If you are using multiple .kn5 files and the models.ini, you could try adding the files one by one to see which is causing your frame rate problems.
We have been discussing this on steam and I'm pretty sure it's the shear number of Y trees he has. DIP will hurt frames but his # isn't that horrendous. I've had tracks with 8000 DIP and still have better frames than what LeonS is getting.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.