Tracks Sveg, Sweden

Very nice work. Although I don't agree when you say doing a fantasy track is that hard because it allways depends on how much detail you want to put into it. Imagine having to build a real life track the size of yours from scratch with same amount of detail without having access to the real material textures or real objects dimensions etc...I can assure you you will need a few years just to complete it. Anyways thanks for putting so much effort to create the track. We need alot of people with your aproach in the community.

I meant this in comparison to professionals like Simone who do go to visit the track for a photo-session and who can actually measure lots of things.

Did some tidying up today. 3D grass and trees are properly in place now from ~T3 - T6

__43.jpg
__44.jpg
__45.jpg
__46.jpg

Did some tidying up today. 3D grass and trees are properly in place now from ~T3 - T6

View attachment 220214 View attachment 220215 View attachment 220216 View attachment 220217
Just one thing you might think about implementing. I personally hate things being "perfect". So with some displacement or curve noise you could maybe make the jersey barrier wall a touch irregular. Just a tiny bit goes a long way.

This is a bit extreme for your track but you get the idea.
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_r_2016_riverside_3-11-117-23-42-57.jpg

You could also make the land a touch irregular in spots to cause some dips here and there. Another extreme example and given you already have grass planted you may not want to mess with the terrain.
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_r_2016_njmp_lightning_3-11-117-23-48-32.jpg

Last edited:
The terrain actually does have some ups and downs in a few places :)

But how do you do that displacement thing on the barriers? I'm using an array + curve modifier so far.

about the terrain:
(I'm on my way to bed so I quickly took these in Blender)

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG 06.JPG 07.JPG 08.JPG

The island (T3-T6) is rather flat, so I see how you get the impression, but the mainland has more of those irregularities. The two parts are gonna have slightly different "flairs" to them in the end, I believe.

The terrain actually does have some ups and downs in a few places :)

But how do you do that displacement thing on the barriers? I'm using an array + curve modifier so far.
There are a few ways to do it. Looking at your blender shots I see it is "solid" wall with a block texture on it. Off the top of my head you can add a bit or random transform to the curve in edit mode.

Before
upload_2017-11-4_0-21-59.png

After

upload_2017-11-4_0-22-12.png

The randomization goes in all directions but as long as you have it shrinkwrapped to your land it should stay fine on the Z axis.

the blocks can actually be stand-alone for irregularities like in your picture. i just dont have gaps between them since they cover the transition to the terrain objects. how did you do it in that screenshot?

the blocks can actually be stand-alone for irregularities like in your picture. i just dont have gaps between them since they cover the transition to the terrain objects. how did you do it in that screenshot?
It's been a while but I think I eventually applied the array, separated by loose parts to make them all individual objects, then I applied some random transform on X OR Y. BUT I think the key was I kept them attached to the curve so the distance to one another remained more or less the same. I just wanted to shuffle them from side to side a bit.

Wow. This is a beautiful project. This is the first time I've opened this thread and I was blown away with the recent screenshots. I can't wait to see how this progresses now that I know about it. :laugh: Good luck! :)

Wow. This is a beautiful project. This is the first time I've opened this thread and I was blown away with the recent screenshots. I can't wait to see how this progresses now that I know about it. :laugh: Good luck! :)

glad to hear it. tell a friend ;-)

I'd like to ask again for support by subscribing to my yt channel or any of the other methods mentioned on page 1 :)

It's been a while but I think I eventually applied the array, separated by loose parts to make them all individual objects, then I applied some random transform on X OR Y. BUT I think the key was I kept them attached to the curve so the distance to one another remained more or less the same. I just wanted to shuffle them from side to side a bit.
I just played around with it a bit, but with rather small offsets it's hardly visible, but creates weird shadows in the seams. I'll leave it regular for now and revisit this topic when I re-do the walls some time after 1.0. What they would really need is a better texture with more variation. But I don't want to spend too much time now on things that are already ok / good, as I'm still going for that Christmas release.

I just played around with it a bit, but with rather small offsets it's hardly visible, but creates weird shadows in the seams. I'll leave it regular for now and revisit this topic when I re-do the walls some time after 1.0. What they would really need is a better texture with more variation. But I don't want to spend too much time now on things that are already ok / good, as I'm still going for that Christmas release.
Not a problem just thought I would mention it.

One thing I just thought of though is I think you need to sort out the physical mesh now or should have done it before the grass. Main thing is when you add noise into the physical mesh you will likely be adding some small waves to the road. This will require the visual road to be shrunk down onto the physical. When you do this the road edge should also be shrunk to the road edge which may make the grass float above or be buried slightly below the ground. Personally I think the physical mesh should be sorted out very early on before much scenery is added. Especially grass.

I have some generic road noise settings for blender if you want them as a starting point.

Not a problem just thought I would mention it.

One thing I just thought of though is I think you need to sort out the physical mesh now or should have done it before the grass. Main thing is when you add noise into the physical mesh you will likely be adding some small waves to the road. This will require the visual road to be shrunk down onto the physical. When you do this the road edge should also be shrunk to the road edge which may make the grass float above or be buried slightly below the ground. Personally I think the physical mesh should be sorted out very early on before much scenery is added. Especially grass.

I have some generic road noise settings for blender if you want them as a starting point.
Yea something to start with would be awesome!
I was thinking I could shrinkwrap the grass to the terrain below to make it fit again after adding some noise?

oh my... love it! :thumbsup::geek:

Are they Y or X shape?
Looks like 2 or 3 different textures?

I want to achieve something similar, so just curious. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back