Successful IndyCar Aeroscreen Test Completes at Indy

I saw some mock ups of the aeroscreen which looked awesome...what the hell happened?!?

The issue was strength from the top, the original screen couldn't take a "top down" impact with any great strength.

It's positive was frontal impacts, but from the top (say an accident like the one at Parabolica at Monza this year) would mean the canopy would be torn off or crack and break away.

So IndyCar teamed up with Red Bull Technologies and what they've effectively done is use an F1 HALO with a screen around it. So you have the frontal protection but also the frame type protection the HALO uses. It just looks so bulky.

I have no issues with that but I just wish (like you) it blended in better. Even the Red Bull design they toyed with was quite good and it had a carbon top frame to support it.

XPB_804628_HiRes-e1466576479362.jpg

url

GGbmbQG4eIRL9DoVM7pQRLDI5Yb2Ow4JjMzUnukZPlY.jpg

imo that here would be just enough protection don't you think?

Anything heavy will simply go through that visor like butter. The visor failed the f1 crash test because it did not do the only thing that it was required. Which was to deflect away tires. Only halo can do it. The smaller bits flying at the driver are not even dangerous enough to worry about and have a windshield for them and the windscreen has lots of other issues as well. Like visibility.

I don't care much for open wheeler one way or the other. I don't like either, screen or halo. The want to make it safer which is good but there will always be risk left. There will always be some freakish accident no one ever thought off and then what? You want to eliminate that you have to stop racing alltogether.

Its not about stopping racing because its dangerous, its about minimising risk. everything in life is about minimising risk. Putting a seat belt on is minimising risk, if you are driving do you not wear your seat belt because you don't feel driving is dangerous enough without it? I'd rather see a driver get out of a crash and go home to their families than be scraped off catch-fencing or asphalt. Its not the prettiest thing but no doubt a driver would rather look through one of them than look at their competitor, friend and rival be buried.

Its not about stopping racing because its dangerous, its about minimising risk. everything in life is about minimising risk. Putting a seat belt on is minimising risk, if you are driving do you not wear your seat belt because you don't feel driving is dangerous enough without it? I'd rather see a driver get out of a crash and go home to their families than be scraped off catch-fencing or asphalt. Its not the prettiest thing but no doubt a driver would rather look through one of them than look at their competitor, friend and rival be buried.
So I should stop riding motorcycles then?

giphy.gif

That's really ugly.
Sad to see Indycars go a even uglier route than F1 (I'm used to the halo now).

The smaller bits flying at the driver are not even dangerous enough to worry about
.... Massa....
It was not a tyre it was a spring. And got through the helmet (part visor, part helmet) to drivers head.
I'm not saying halo would have protected Massa and I doubt that this screen will.
I would just have gone closed cockpit instead of this.

It's not a problem that it's ugly. It's just way TOO BIG. :unsure:

...Putting a seat belt on is minimising risk, if you are driving do you not wear your seat belt because you don't feel driving is dangerous enough without it?
I'd rather see a driver get out of a crash and go home to their families than be scraped off catch-fencing or asphalt. Its not the prettiest thing but no doubt a driver would rather look through one of them than look at their competitor, friend and rival be buried.
So you compare my #grocery store ride to these long time professionals racing each other ? :alien::roflmao:
You remind me of one of my colleague. He always compare these... uncomparable things.
Maybe you two are related ? :cautious::sneaky:
With the second part I agree, don't want see anyone get hurt, of course.

Yes, this is so ugly and looks like fast patchwork. Jetstyle canopies would be much cooler.

We may end up going that route (would be cool I will admit) but the problem with the canopy is if the car is on it's roof and the driver is trapped the canopy would make extraction very difficult. Of course the main risk is fire and not being able to get the driver out of the car quickly.

But something like the GT Red Bull Concept canopy looks pretty damn good I will admit. It's all about blending in the design. The HALO could work better if only it flowed with the lines of the design of the car and I think that's my issue with it. Ho Hum.... :)

closed-cockpits-f1-after-justin-wilson-death.jpg

Anything heavy will simply go through that visor like butter. The visor failed the f1 crash test because it did not do the only thing that it was required. Which was to deflect away tires. Only halo can do it. The smaller bits flying at the driver are not even dangerous enough to worry about and have a windshield for them and the windscreen has lots of other issues as well. Like visibility.

The original version was developed with a company that made fighter canopies so it would've been tough and pretty strong. However it was thick and like you say the thickness of the material made seeing through it difficult for the driver. It was worth testing though and well done to Indycar for trying various options out.

I think when the new Dallara chassis comes out (who knows when?) it will have a screen incorporated into it as part of it's core design. Having one tacked on at this point, to a car that was designed to not have a screen is why it's looks terrible. This way the car will have the screen from the beginning and have it flow more naturally. Also, it will be part of wind tunnel testing and work more as a functioning part of the car.

Sorry I know I keep posting pictures but I came across this by Giorgio Piola, now this looks kinda cool, shame it never got used on the Indycar :(

f1-f1-canopy-design-2016-head-protection-closed-2.jpg
Looks dont solve the aero problems the device can bring you know. Current implementation is being done in a car that was not made to receive it, next chassis could maybe be able to have something like this, have patience.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back