Successful IndyCar Aeroscreen Test Completes at Indy

So let me get this straight, IndyCar said they cannot use halo as it would obstruct vision on ovals so they need to go with an aero screen, but then they realize they need halo to make it strong enough, so they end up with both an halo and an aeroscreen.

Honestly, it looks really bad to me, the car is to narrow around the cockpit so the screen cannot taper off in a more elegant fashion. Another thing that really bothers me are visible "rivets" at the top of the screen. I am guessing they will put some kind of sponsors sticker there, but in the test it looked really ugly. Reminds me of a belt or something like it.

Ciao!

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, IndyCar said they cannot use halo as it would obstruct vision on ovals so they need to go with an aero screen, but then they realize they need halo to make it strong enough, so they end up with both an halo and an aeroscreen.
They said that based on theory, when they went to the simulator (not long after the statement) they noticed there was no issue using the halo on ovals. Then a concern appeared: the halo can deflect a rather big object into the cockpit, not something you want when the car his crashing, this would expose the driver even more, reason why they need both the halo and the screen.
Get used to this, if Indycar get it right even in a cockpit not made for it you can be sure Red Bull will get this installed on all other series already using the halo

It sort of makes the IndyCars look like futuristic fighter jets on wheels. And I like fighter jets.

Seriously, good on IndyCar for now having the best head protection in any open top series.

I particularly like the part where it benefits the weight distribution (it moves the CG forward, which makes the cars easier to balance according to the drivers in the test) and benefits how easy it is for the drivers to communicate with the pit (much quieter inside the cockpit apparently). (source - motorsport.com)

Definitely a BIG :thumbsup: from me.

I think what frustrates me about this design, is the previous aeroscreen had curvature to it. It swooped down at the sides, the front followed the curvature of the nose/chassis. It just blended in more and looked (in my view) simply brilliant.

I preferred this design so much more.

Aeroscreen-725x500.jpg

However the top loading on the screen (if a car flipped) would have been too much and that's why the "beams" had to be introduced. It's a HALO with a piece of glass on the front.

I'm not against safety updates by any means, but come on guys, with all the tech you have, you could make a curved frame rather than this 90 degree disaster. Then try and implement the above screen design into it.

Such a shame :(

I don't know what's more funny- the hilariously terrible looking windscreen/windshield or the fact that b/c virtue signaling is such a big pastime now people will accept things that look like utter ass just b/c it's safer than the previous alternative rather than demanding both safety & aesthetics. B/c it's 2019, nearing on 2020 & we're so advanced you can't have tech that is both. All the brainpower is being used up in designing tech so all the kids who live with their heads in their phones can send better resolution dick pics, mate.

This design reeks of a company getting a contract to design something & then giving a 60% effort so they can skim profits off the top.

Last edited:
From now on, i'll hit anyone who dares to say "Halo is bad" with an indy-aeroscreen, with the outer edge of it(it's harder!) right in the face :confused:
Just kidding :D
The initial design was way way way better than this, but hey the choice is theirs!

Just go closed cockpit. At this point, the open cockpit era seems over. They basically have a mini sunroof left of opening. I'm sure that get's closed in a few years as well. It's sad to see, but it's going to happen at this point.

Well I'll be damned, the halos aren't so bad looking after all!

I saw some mock ups of the aeroscreen which looked awesome...what the hell happened?!?

This thing looks like they got all the parts at a nearby Home Depot!

It is ugly indeed, I don't really enjoy the halo or this... but safety always comes first it is always tragic seeing a fatal accident on the sport. Maybe they will incorporate it better into the design when they push it to the series, I would like to see something closer to closed cockpit like LMP1 cars but, since I'm not an engineer, there is no point on saying that It could be one way or another because it would be pure speculation on a thing that they probably spent good money, time studying and making it viable.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back