Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Hartley vs Stroll crash.jpg

Brendon Hartley and Lance Stroll had a serious coming together in Canada, with many differing opinions as to who was to blame - what's your opinion?

Both drivers have been experiencing something of a troubled season, Stroll thanks to a below par Williams car and Hartley still adapting to Formula One from his successful endurance career, and neither driver did their prospects any good after what was a frighteningly violent accident on the opening lap of the Canadian Grand Prix.

With Harley blaming Stroll for sliding into the Toro Rosso and Stroll putting the onus firmly on Hartley placing his car on the outside of a very fast right hander, who do you thing was to blame for the crash, or was it simply a case of a typical lap one Canadian Grand Prix accident?

Let us know in the comments section below!

Ericsson?

It was a risky move from Hartley to drive outside on the dirty line with the heavy cars.
Stroll lost control and probably would have saved it but Hartley was there already, resulting in a crash. It's a racing incident caused by Strolls loss of control.

But i heard someone say somethin about a puncture (don't quite remember if it was from team radio or the commentators). In that case the slip from Stroll wouldn't even be his fault.
After all, Stroll made up several places at the sstart and might have touched a wing.

Oh yeah I agree . It wasn't malicious on Stroll's part but I think Hartley was just in the wrong place at the wrong time . I wouldnt give Stroll a penalty for it . I just think Stroll was guilty of leaving no room , not deliberately shunting Hartley hence why there shouldnt be a penalty .

It was a risky move from Hartley to drive outside on the dirty line with the heavy cars.
Stroll lost control and probably would have saved it but Hartley was there already, resulting in a crash. It's a racing incident caused by Strolls loss of control.
Many accidents would not have happened if the car they drive in to was was not at there at the wrong moment.

Seems something happened to cause Stroll to go flat front left, after that both drivers just managed to get themselves in a situation they couldn't get out of.

Too bad for Stroll, too bad for Hartley.

Do we have to have these kind of topics over and over again ?
Guess it says all about that race... :unsure:
#worstCanadianGPever
Dunno why is that jumpin' jack Vettel so damn happy. Procession.

It was purely a racing incident but one I fear, might end Hartley's run at Toro Rosso.
As a racing driver, he felt compelled to go for the gap but the next real turn would have been a left.
He'd have to pass Stroll and also go full right to commit to the left.
It was a bad place to attempt the pass.
Once Stroll lost the back of the car, the correction coupled with the speed at that point of the circuit, was always going to take him close to...if not into the wall on the left.
He was a passenger, as was Brendon.
TR only will see the instances of no points versus starts and that I'm afraid, will be the nail.

Last edited:
To be honest it was a race incident but it could be avoided by Hartley. The risk was higher than the reward, pushing in a close gap in the ouside line at the first lap doesn't sound good. I think he touched the rear left tyre of Stroll before and the canadian had an oversteer that forced him to ajust.

It was an optimistic move from Hartley, but if it wasn't for Stroll losing the rear it could've been a brilliant overtake.
So Stroll's fault imo, however he may have had a puncture and wouldn't have expected Hartley there, so a racing incident fo my vote.

I'd hate to see Hartley replaced before he could show everyone his proper pace, he's had piss-poor luck this season, and he was faster than Gasly in the races they both competed in last year.

I've not seen any interviews about it, but I think racing incident. Sure Hartley probably shouldn't have put his car there, but then stroll's overseer is what caused the impact. There does look like some contact before the big one, but I havnt seen it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back