PC2 'Spirit of Le Mans' Next DLC Coming to Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Spirit of Le Mans.jpg

It has been reported via a leak on the Xbox Games Store that Project CARS 2 looks set to receive a new DLC - featuring some iconic Le Mans themed content.

Although it has not yet been officially confirmed by British developers Slightly Mad Studios, nor have any watertight details been revealed, thanks to a timely leak on the Xbox Games Store Project CARS 2 fans have a very welcome idea of what is next in line for the popular racing game - welcome to the world the 'Spirit of Le Mans' June DLC update!

Set to heavily focus on the iconic Le Mans 24 Hour event, the 'Spirt of Le Mans' DLC has a bumper offering of modern and historic racing content to enjoy, including a recreation of the legendary venue as it was in the very early 1970's, joining the simulation alongside the modern layout present with the vanilla install of the title.

As well as the attention grabbing historic layout of the track, the new DLC also looks set to include the period specific Ferrari 512 S and 512 M, alongside the best of German engineering in the form of the Porsche 917 LH. If modern cars are more your thing, the new DLC will also contain three heavyweight modern Prototype vehicles. Coming this June are the Audi R18 (both in high and low downforce configurations), the Porsche 919 Hybrid and the Toyota TS050 Hybrid, all of 2016 vintage.

Prices and release dates have yet to be revealed. More news as it becomes available...

Project CARS 2 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to the 'Spirit of Le Mans' DLC for Project CARS 2? Which piece of content most appeals to you? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I don't care how many times you repeat yourself, your statement sounds elitist.

I can live with that. :thumbsup:

All you need is a guy like Vettel or Dixon to come in here and say, "you guys are all just <bleeping> gamers. Just a bunch of wannabes in front of your computers".

OMG!!! You mean the "simulation" in simulation racing is meant to be taken literally? :thumbsdown: That explains why Toto and Niki aren't returning my emails.

Isn't that what auto clutch supposed to do? But in PCars2 after update 2 or 3 it's almost like it's always on. If memory serves right, it was fine in initial release before they started tweaking gears timing.

I'm sure Haiden can reply for himself but this is my take on it.

I don't think it has much to do with serious vs casual simmers. rF2 doesn't have proper gearbox simulation but I don't think its primarily aimed at casual simmers.

My understanding is pCARs2 does have proper gearbox simulation but its effectively been disabled. SMS's stance is NOT that they are not interested in those who have an H Shifter but that they don't want to disadvantage those using an H Shifter racing against those using paddle shifts. While I'm sure there are H Shifter users who would support this approach, there are a significant number who want to be disadvantaged and want the gearbox to grind if they don't use the clutch or do the things neccessary for a clutchless gearchange.

You are both correct.

An ungodly amount of time was spent on developing and tweaking the new transmission code with shaft speed engagement windows and what not. And then it resulted in certain users complaining (very!) loudly, basically saying that "the simulation may be great, but we're confused as to WHY our shifts don't complete -- do something!"

In the end it came down to a game design decision based on available developer resources and customer complaints, so an executive decision was made to tweak the gearbox synchro effect and/or minimum shift time.

(source: #1, #2, #3, #4 , #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18 -- Casey Ringley's posts in that thread are very much worth reading for the technical details they provide about the transmission system design).

My analysis is that the original problem was in large part caused by the original design simply lacking direct, intuitively understood feedback for why the shift didn't complete.

Let's also not discount the possibility that a bug results in autoclutch being turned on DESPITE the user having chosen manual clutch (i.e. it happens behind the users' back, and with no visual indication that this is the case -- settings changing between sessions was confirmed as a known issue internally at some point and I think I saw it mentioned that the bug has now been found and fixed). Anyway, these kind of issues are super hard to debug, because they mess with the users' perception and mental model, leading users to draw false conclusions.

Personally, I think it would be interesting to see how much it would help to add the "gear grinding sound" feedback that Casey alludes to.

That might address the problem of direct, intuitively understood feedback AND use the really neat transmission simulation code, which is currently configured to be very lenient in terms of input and output shaft speed differences and would be a "best of both worlds" type of solution.

EDIT: What do you know, I actually suggested something like this back then. :)

Last edited:
There is a video from PS4 with modern LMP1's... The sound of TS050 made me laugh... They did again... It sounds like NA V8, not the V6T. However gonna check it later when it come available on Steam.

PS. Multiple sources say that LMP1's 2016, have no automatic ERS deployment, you have to do it on your own.

The sound is a head scratcher to be sure, but sound is not one of the series strong points is it. It's a real shame but how it is. Also regarding ERS Casey said this:

"LM P1H 2016 Hybrid use and strategy: One big difference for these 2016 cars is that we've changed the hybrid system to activate on button press rather than throttle input. Rules for the real car don't allow it to be on a button like this, but the real systems are becoming so complex that we can't really copy their action from throttle input alone; it worked fine for the simpler cars of 2014, but not now that everyone is in the high energy categories and working out better energy deployment strategies. Manually controlling the hybrid to match closer what we see done in the real thing has a significant effect on lap times. Avoiding any wasted energy on unimportant parts of the track and saving it for big burns made me about 4s per lap faster in the Porsche and 2s in the Audi; plus it gives a fun push-to-pass feature if you manage to save a little energy while racing closely with anyone."

That's because you keep shifting my comments to suit your purpose. I didn't say people that don't use the clutch are arcade. I said people that have a three arm pedal deck and, barring physical limitations or injury, choose not to use it when racing cars that have an h-shift transmission are arcade players, because that would seem to indicate they have little interest in simulation and/or learning how to drive cars.

I never said anything about it being about having the right hardware either. In fact, I stated that I was only talking about people that have a three arm pedal deck. Again, you try to make it seem like this is some elitist thing by twisting my words. If you don't have an three pedal deck, then it's obvious why you don't use the clutch, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you have a physical limitation that stops you from using a clutch, then it's also obvious why you don't use it. So please, tell me (because "I'm listening carefully" <--talk about sound arrogant, btw), physical limitations and hardware aside, if you have a three pedal deck what would be a good reason for not using it, a reason that doesn't hint at your tastes and preferences being more similar to an arcade racing style?

I'm not shifting your comments at all, you are using terms that can only be construed as to put others in a "lower" bracket to yourself or others, if you stopped using those terms your comments would be infinitely more reasonable.

Either way you seem proud of it which also says a lot so I'm out of this discussion.

I'm not shifting your comments at all, you are using terms that can only be construed as to put others in a "lower" bracket to yourself or others, if you stopped using those terms your comments would be infinitely more reasonable.

Either way you seem proud of it which also says a lot so I'm out of this discussion.

Except for the fact that I actually said I wasn't. And I'm not proud of anything. I simply understand that these days, people are easily triggered, and you can't control how people respond to things. I said I wasn't. Whether you believe me or not, is irrelevant. ;)

Except for the fact that I actually said I wasn't. And I'm not proud of anything. I simply understand that these days, people are easily triggered, and you can't control how people respond to things. I said I wasn't. Whether you believe me or not, is irrelevant. ;)

Then stop using those words, It's like someone saying "I'm not racist" yet use the "n" word. You can say it till your blue in the face, doesn't mean it's actually true it's just that you think it is. Triggering has naff all to do with it, I find elitism in all it's forms really distasteful and will tackle it anywhere I see it. I'm just grateful no-one here has used the "git gud" millennial tripe I see on other forums.

So, line drawn end of discussion please? I need to get back to Le Mans and the IOM course.

So, line drawn end of discussion please? I need to get back to Le Mans
Oh good, because it's on Steam at £18 right now and I want to know how the AI is before I pull the trigger but without the usual baggage that comes with that question in a pCars thread.
I will add that by carefully choosing my combos in pCars 1 I managed some good races.

Then stop using those words, It's like someone saying "I'm not racist" yet use the "n" word. You can say it till your blue in the face, doesn't mean it's actually true it's just that you think it is. Triggering has naff all to do with it, I find elitism in all it's forms really distasteful and will tackle it anywhere I see it. I'm just grateful no-one here has used the "git gud" millennial tripe I see on other forums.

So, line drawn end of discussion please? I need to get back to Le Mans and the IOM course.

Not even the same thing.

And, news flash: you don't need any assistance from me to end the discussion. :rolleyes:

Oh good, because it's on Steam at £18 right now and I want to know how the AI is before I pull the trigger but without the usual baggage that comes with that question in a pCars thread.
I will add that by carefully choosing my combos in pCars 1 I managed some good races.

The AI are generally excellent, though as with any game there are some car/track combinations that are better than others. They have improved massively since launch where they had trouble with the first corner on some tracks, that is pretty much a thing of the past now. The better you know a car/track/race combination generally the better the AI are too.

Here are a couple of videos I made specifically focusing on the AI as I like to race them too, I always include the setup and AI skill level/aggression level in the video description to help others recreate similar effects.

This is the best I've seen the AI:

Racing as seen from the AI perspective, this was taken riding onboard with the AI as previously they wouldn't overtake even on the widest sections of Daytona, someone asked me to make this video specifically to see if they would now overtake realistically and they do, since v4:

The AI decent in the wet too, I shared another video yesterday with the latrest LMPH cars at vintage Le Mans in the newer thread and they are brilliant in the wet too.

Where they are not so good is using random grid placement where some cars are way faster starting than others, that can cause a huge crash at the start (Group 6 Porsche vs Renault Alpine for example). They will also make realistic looking mistakes, especially if you can put pressure on them which I think is a great addition that most games don't have.

The AI are not perfect but they are as good as any other I've raced against in AC, RF2, AMS etc and for me some of the combinations as shown in the videos are among the very best I've raced against. On that basis I'd definitely say they are good enough to recommend especially for £18.

RE: AI
I've have too many good races to poo poo the AI, but they're not perfect. And I've raced against worst REAL humans... Actually, if you give them space and race cautiously as if they were humans and you were racing in a league with penalties as recourse, it gets very realistic and intense. My big complaint is consistency track to track, car to car. Its gotten better, I used to have to swing the AI from 100% to 114% to get a good race within a season. Now its 112%-114%, and its better than RRRE. Smart combos = smart grids = smart races.
I don't know why the field hits the brakes right before the green on rolling starts though!! :)

Had a quick spin in my beloved Jaguar XJR9 around old Le Man's and a 5 lapper race in the touring car preset around Hockenheim, 25 AI everything at default was pretty good.
So the only decision left is whether to uninstall pCars1.

Not even the same thing.

And, news flash: you don't need any assistance from me to end the discussion. :rolleyes:

Yes it is, it was a rather blunt metaphor that is used all the time so I lazily used it as it's so well known, but still got my point across of someone saying they're one thing but word usage says another. Hopefully that's clearer.

we're all simmers here. :)

(sorry about the above!)

As the others have said the Ai can be good with the right combo, much like many games.

Had a quick spin in my beloved Jaguar XJR9 around old Le Man's and a 5 lapper race in the touring car preset around Hockenheim, 25 AI everything at default was pretty good.
So the only decision left is whether to uninstall pCars1.

I've still got PC1 on my hdd, I may return for some RUF or Classic Caterham action. Then again I probably won't!

Yes it is, it was a rather blunt metaphor that is used all the time so I lazily used it as it's so well known, but still got my point across of someone saying they're one thing but word usage says another. Hopefully that's clearer.

we're all simmers here. :)

Yeah... I think I get it now. It's kind of like when someone says they're leaving a thread conversation because they have better things to do, but then they keep coming back to it. ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back