rF2 *Special Event* FIA WSC Group C - Fuji Film Cup '90 - Fri 30 December 2022 (Including real life race watch-along!)

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I wonder if it is partially down to driving-style/setup as well. I know @Yves Larose did get the same issue with his double-stinting, but when you guys had around the same tyre wear at the fronts, he was still doing 1.52's, when you ended up with a 2.00-ish. Granted, idk if the Sauber is a lot worse with worn tyres than the Porsche.
Honestly feels like a bug to me, maybe just the Sauber, grip on the fronts just disappeared completely, like if I had a puncture. Never felt something like that with any other car so far.

Honestly feels like a bug to me, maybe just the Sauber, grip on the fronts just disappeared completely, like if I had a puncture. Never felt something like that with any other car so far.

Sounds like dry tyres in wet in AMS2... When they reach the temperature threshold they are gone. I managed to keep my tyres up to temp in a club race here. I managed to do 2 laps at Cleveland while the ones who had lost tire temp hadn't done one lap yet. Cleveland is basically 1, hairpin, 2 chicanes, 2 90 degrees corners, and you can drive 25 wide on the track, it's that wide. That felt way overdone.

ahhh another story of wo im guessing the mazda has amazing breaks compared to the othe cars, i simply kept running in to the back of cars who were breaking 3 or 4 car length earlyer catching me by surprise, then i had to wait for them to rejoin.. doh

Enjoyed the race but still being quite new to Rfactor 2 and online events a few things caught me out. In ACC cars in the pits are "ghosted" so you can drive through them. On my first stop there was a car in the box behind mine making it tricky for me to stop so I went to drive through it...yeh nah... crunch. Engine stalled then took me a few seconds to get it going, reverse then drive around the car in to my box.

Green flag whilst in the middle of the chicane caught me out and I didn't know if we could overtake or not.

Had some good racing though until I stacked it with 10 laps or so to go :D

This ghosting is some thing i don't like in Acc. It feels just unrealistic despite the fact that it helps on narrow pits to manage a big field.

This cars deserve a frquent Spot on the schedule, with races around as long as yesterday to get strategy a factor.

By the way, what is it about the Mazda's that requires the grid to have 2x fuel use to balance them out? Their race pace seems pretty similar to the others.

Green flag whilst in the middle of the chicane caught me out and I didn't know if we could overtake or not.
That's one of those rf2 things, it's correct on some tracks, i.e. official ones, but some mods get it pretty wrong, probably cause they are made with standing starts in mind. I remember Barcelona also being even more off in that regard. Got caught by it as well, wanted to wait for everyone to get through the chicane but people around me floored it so I went as well but it was the first step of a compromised race.

If I'm correct you can pass the car that is on the same row as you but not any car in a row ahead before crossing the line, otherwise you'll get a penalty.

ahhh another story of wo im guessing the mazda has amazing breaks compared to the othe cars, i simply kept running in to the back of cars who were breaking 3 or 4 car length earlyer catching me by surprise, then i had to wait for them to rejoin.. doh

I also seemed to brake way earlier than everyone else, which certainly didn't make it easier for you!

I also seemed to brake way earlier than everyone else, which certainly didn't make it easier for you!
My crash with @Hartmut2 was definitely down to my braking point for the final chicane somehow being about 200m later than everyone else I was racing. I was nearly 2s off pole, but still set a purple final sector in quali.

All through the race I was able to take 130R flat and brake after the first white marker on the left. Even while heading there behind two cars racing side-by-side, I was braking earlier but never expected both to brake anywhere near as early as they did, hence why I quite scarily rear-ended Hartmut who had gone wide and was on the inside.
Still, I waited and all was fine in the end.

Enjoyed the race but still being quite new to Rfactor 2 and online events a few things caught me out. In ACC cars in the pits are "ghosted" so you can drive through them. On my first stop there was a car in the box behind mine making it tricky for me to stop so I went to drive through it...yeh nah... crunch. Engine stalled then took me a few seconds to get it going, reverse then drive around the car in to my box.

As Roy says, it's enough that you are with enough of your car in the box, it will work. IIRC, you don't need to hit it perfectly to get the best stop due to this. When we have more than x-number of cars (didn't reach that point yesterday), the game will share boxes between cars, so it's better to not have the "the better you hit hte box, the faster the stop" :)
I know that in rF1, and I think it's an option hidden somewhere in rF2 - you can have it so the more off "perfect" in your box you are, the more time-penalty you will have in having the pit crew "move around" to service your car.
That's great until you have to share a box with someone :p

That's one of those rf2 things, it's correct on some tracks, i.e. official ones, but some mods get it pretty wrong, probably cause they are made with standing starts in mind. I remember Barcelona also being even more off in that regard. Got caught by it as well, wanted to wait for everyone to get through the chicane but people around me floored it so I went as well but it was the first step of a compromised race.

If I'm correct you can pass the car that is on the same row as you but not any car in a row ahead before crossing the line, otherwise you'll get a penalty.

It's weird - it is down to the track creator, but Matsusaka - Suzuka, is a 3PA track, that ISI controlled and checked before uploading it.

Reg. penalties: I need to check this (and will do before the next race), but I seem to remember me allowing all kind of passes from the moment the green flag happens. As back during Covid-lockdown, we did push 35-40 drivers in races, and then it doesn't matter how correct the green flag place will be, there will be cars in corners. To avoid having loads of penalties because someone spun in the middle of the Bus Stop at Spa, I am fairly sure I activated "pass left AND right before line when green flag is shown".

What a brilliant event, more of those please :thumbsup:

Please use these cars again :)

This cars deserve a frquent Spot on the schedule, with races around as long as yesterday to get strategy a factor.

So many cars, so few race-days! :p

With that being said, I did think I'd do more special events after December 2021 and the Norisring event, but it took me a year to cook up something. Hope it will be less than 12 months until next time I get an idea ^^,

Happy New Year everyone!
Really enjoyed the race yesterday! But my 3 pit stops were definitely too much. Next time I'll definitely have to lower the boost to save myself at least one stop.
Until next time!

That's what I realized when I did my second stop as well, that my 3-stop was a bad choice. Obviously I would've been slower on track, but 6 laps before the finish, I had a 76 second pit stop, and then pit-in & pit-out added to that... I ended up 1m26sec behind @Jan Larsen . I wouldn't have beaten him, but that 3rd stop cost a lot :p

Very happy to see you back again Thomas! :) Hope to see you one track more in 2023! :)

By the way, what is it about the Mazda's that requires the grid to have 2x fuel use to balance them out? Their race pace seems pretty similar to the others.

Race is still a bit too short for it to equal out. Granted, using max boost would've blown the engine, but with a tiny bit of smart driving, I could go for 10 laps on boost 15 with the Porsche. So 20 laps without 2x fuel. That would "easily" been a 1-stop with the Porsche with normal fuel usage.
The Mazdas had around the same race-pace as the Sauber and Porsche yesterday, but as I understood it, a few of them were actually using max power.

By using 2x fuel the Sauber and Porsche needs to be a bit smarter in terms of boost, thus equalizing it a bit.

With longer races this equalizes things by itself - but running this with 1x would mean a guaranteed 1-stop for everyone, and e.g Porsche with boost levels 5-6 settings higher than yesterday.

Of course, this may be possible to negate by using "Time Scaled" mechanical wear, that scales the engine wear/damage & brake wear to match the race length. So say that the engine life is 25hrs with no overheating. The race length is 2hrs. Then Time Scaled means that the engine life is cut down to 8% (2hrs is 8% of 25hrs). That means that even with little fuel usage, you cannot top-boost it all the way as the engine will blow.

However, that will need a lot of testing, with proper data to back up findings etc. the worst thing to do there is guesstimate how it works, and having 15 out of 19 drivers blow their engine after 1 hour!

EDIT: This is how I believe that Time Scaled mechanical damage/wear works. I see that some say you should put time on 3x-5x as that will affect it. If so, it will only be possible to use for simulating 24hrs etc. Like I wrote, needs a lot of testing :)

EDIT 2: I did not drive with boost 15 on the Porsche during the race! Just to clarify that, but fuel usage with boost 15 would in theory make it a 1-stop with normal fuel usage (if you ignore the blown engine)

These were one of the worst mod-models I've tried to get to work... But here is the custom liveries that were used yesterday! :)

IEZujtT.png

DrUpeHc.png

SwvILZ4.png

mdDrPtx.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back