Skip Barber for Assetto Corsa

Cars Skip Barber for Assetto Corsa 1.6

Login or Register an account to download this content
@Daniel Jimenez
You should optimize the LODs, as they get bigger and not smaller. Compared with other cars, you don't need to pack the textures again into the LOD B,C,D,...
sb_lods.JPG

And there is an unsteadiness in the amount of textures used.
For the textures itself you should use DDS format with proper compression (DXT1, DXT5) and resonable texture sizes.
sb_lod_files.JPG

Here's the CM analyse as an overview:
sb_check.JPG

Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone. I was worried what the reception would be like.

I tried to search for the real original production date, but these cars have been run in so many series and specs since then that I'm not sure. Internally I've changed the year to 2011 because that's the year they were last officially ran in the last Skip Barber series, I believe. Maybe it will change for any updates.
Looks way over powered this car by looking,
they are around 132HP all the models I ever saw,
they use the Dodge Neon SOHC engine from 97-99 I believe from all my research a while back making the engine.
Specifications:
Compression Ratio: 9.8:1
Camshaft Configuration: SOHC
Power: 132 hp (98 kW) @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 130 lb⋅ft (176 N⋅m) @ 4600 rpm

3D Model is not that accurate looking either but fine for what it is,
regarding the wheel blur issues, you need to switch it off inside the editor before saving the .kn5
2918fdfd3ae4c75d8ec055970fc60b2b.png

+ when you save the LOD you save the .kn5 with 0 textures at all only the main LOD stores the textures will be pretty bad performance wise compared to saving the cars correctly.
0ad37c6f974fff74190e3f376357d94c.png

usually the LOD_A around 40-50mb,
LOD_B 0 textures around 2000kb , 2.0mb,
LOD_C under 1 mb,
LOD_D around 3-400kb,

Mirrors want applying correctly inside 3DS Max the UV is unique to each mirror left and right,
the textures are located here.
\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\car_pipeline_2.0rev\Common Texture,

Regards :)

Pretty similar to the feedback I gave a while back on the holes on the engine cover, though yeah pretty much the whole car this time.

I think some time could be spent to really tidy up the mesh, right now its quite 'lumpy' with very little control. Spec highlights and reflections really suffer in my opinion because of it.

Here is just one example that I had time to recreate roughly, but really I think the whole car could benefit from a once over. Here you see on panel gaps, the normals are all over the place because the support loops are not placed at an even distance from the gap:
unknown.png

Additionally thinks like this cool bulge that houses the top wishbone mount lacks clear definition where it blends into the main bodywork, and in fact influences the bodywork shape in front and behind it when i really shouldn't:
unknown.png

So looking at a real life example, its clear there is a lot more definition between 'the bulge' and the bodywork:
unknown.png

So this is how I would go about it:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
Yeah that is the least of the problems really,
looking over the car to my resources its way off everywhere wants a remodel I would imagine,
but ok for what it is some fun, but far from accurate.

Yeah regarding the LODs in addition to the things mentioned above, the shaders seem to drastically change between them, and the tri/object count doesn't really drop nearly as much as you'd expect (object count especially - LOD D is only dropping around 5% of objects, really you should be aiming for 1 or 2 objects total in the end).

Also I'd add some negative camber to the model so it shows in the showroom (i know it works ingame), right now the wheels are upright which looks very strange for this type of car :D

Looks way over powered this car by looking,
they are around 132HP all the models I ever saw,
they use the Dodge Neon SOHC engine from 97-99 I believe from all my research a while back making the engine.
Specifications:
Compression Ratio: 9.8:1
Camshaft Configuration: SOHC
Power: 132 hp (98 kW) @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 130 lb⋅ft (176 N⋅m) @ 4600 rpm
Hey,

the engine is directly from a curve I received with power @ crank converted to approximate wheel. The spec is "150hp" IRL. Fairly sure these are modified and not just stock engines stuck in.

Don't trust the UI, btw. Those figures are for sure inaccurate, it'll be fixed in the next release. It was fixed internally, and it broke on launch due to miscommunication. :roflmao:

I haven't tested performance extensively, but it does meet all of the specs I could find.

While I said I wouldn't touch the car anymore, there's some stuff I can still improve slightly with the data I have. Anyone who's super knowledgeable about these cars, or has aerodynamic CFD, damper dynos or something, is free to get in touch.

Due to AC limitation some things like having to lift throttle while upshifting isn't really a thing, but perhaps with drivetrain inertia I can fudge it... :thumbsup:

Hey,

the engine is directly from a curve I received with power @ crank converted to approximate wheel. The spec is "150hp" IRL. Fairly sure these are modified and not just stock engines stuck in.

Don't trust the UI, btw. Those figures are for sure inaccurate, it'll be fixed in the next release. It was fixed internally, and it broke on launch due to miscommunication. :roflmao:

I haven't tested performance extensively, but it does meet all of the specs I could find.
Well from my own research and looking at iracing and rf2 they seem the same,
our situation we went a step further and 3D Modeled the engine and trans so have extensive research regarding engine measurements and full specs of these cars everywhere,
and it is more inline with what I see in other games and find online regarding the engine,
I see mainly a nice trans and clutch some run with the outer airbox regarding the K&N Filter and such but not them all, but like I say very close to this here IRL.
39d9ab0e4d15ad1b5d3c4f62fd64b8e2.jpg

Well from my own research and looking at iracing and rf2 they seem the same,
our situation we went a step further and 3D Modeled the engine and trans so have extensive research regarding engine measurements and full specs of these cars everywhere,
and it is more inline with what I see in other games and find online regarding the engine,
I see mainly a nice trans and clutch some run with the outer airbox regarding the K&N Filter and such but not them all, but like I say very close to this here IRL.
39d9ab0e4d15ad1b5d3c4f62fd64b8e2.jpg
Has it ever occurred to you that 150 x 0.88 (An acceptable approximate "wheel" loss) is 132 exactly? :thumbsup:

Pretty similar to the feedback I gave a while back on the holes on the engine cover, though yeah pretty much the whole car this time.

I think some time could be spent to really tidy up the mesh, right now its quite 'lumpy' with very little control. Spec highlights and reflections really suffer in my opinion because of it.

Here is just one example that I had time to recreate roughly, but really I think the whole car could benefit from a once over. Here you see on panel gaps, the normals are all over the place because the support loops are not placed at an even distance from the gap:
unknown.png

Additionally thinks like this cool bulge that houses the top wishbone mount lacks clear definition where it blends into the main bodywork, and in fact influences the bodywork shape in front and behind it when i really shouldn't:
unknown.png

So looking at a real life example, its clear there is a lot more definition between 'the bulge' and the bodywork:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
Noticed!

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
Foundi it! it seems to be a error with blender 2.8 (yes im using the beta to the project, a big risk and ive paid for that mistake) cause inside blender it shows up like this:
upload_2019-5-15_8-31-46.png

but when exported it looks like this
upload_2019-5-15_8-32-21.png

guess Ill have to work arround that blender Beta issue.
Thanks for the feedback mate!

Honestly I feel it goes far beyond a rendering or export issue tbh, I think its a result of the way you (and many others) are modelling - ie relying on subdivision for everything.

Look at how I used it on the earlier post - only for creating the basic shapes, but I manually cut and chamfered any panel gaps etc to ensure they look as clean as possible without using any more loops than needed.

I see this all over the place - a lot of extra lops seemingly doing nothing, yet conversely not enough in the other direction:
upload_2019-5-15_14-46-11.png

upload_2019-5-15_14-46-49.png

Ideally you want to be more consistent with mesh flow, I'm seeing a lot of densely populated areas that aren't really contributing to anything, and on the opposite end a lot of really low poly areas that would visibly benefit from more detail. Try and maintain a more consistent poly structure, then add detail where needed.

unknown.png

Notice how and that example I made a while back, all the extra detail needed for the holes in the panel were neatly welded to nearby loops to terminate them, so avoid the situation where you have way way more loops than necessary:

upload_2019-4-22_13-34-2-png.302630

upload_2019-5-15_15-1-16.png

Hope that gives some ideas on how better to structure the mesh in future :)

PS. I've seen similar issues with properly controlled loops on pro models too, so you're not alone :D

upload_2019-5-15_15-8-1.png

Last edited:
Honestly I feel it goes far beyond a rendering or export issue tbh, I think its a result of the way you (and many others) are modelling - ie relying on subdivision for everything.

Look at how I used it on the earlier post - only for creating the basic shapes, but I manually cut and chamfered any panel gaps etc to ensure they look as clean as possible without using any more loops than needed.

I see this all over the place - a lot of extra lops seemingly doing nothing, yet conversely not enough in the other direction:
View attachment 305843
View attachment 305844

Ideally you want to be more consistent with mesh flow, I'm seeing a lot of densely populated areas that aren't really contributing to anything, and on the opposite end a lot of really low poly areas that would visibly benefit from more detail. Try and maintain a more consistent poly structure, then add detail where needed.

unknown.png

Notice how and that example I made a while back, all the extra detail needed for the holes in the panel were neatly welded to nearby loops to terminate them, so avoid the situation where you have way way more loops than necessary:

upload_2019-4-22_13-34-2-png.302630

View attachment 305846

Hope that gives some ideas on how better to structure the mesh in future :)

PS. I've seen similar issues with properly controlled loops on pro models too, so you're not alone :D

View attachment 305847
hehe okay, taking notes, I feel like in a classroom, will make adjustments :)

Just an advise to everybody, the 3d object and unwrap is being adjusted right now, so dont work on skins or you will lost your time ;)
Too late... :D
__custom_showroom_1557950869.jpg

Was just a quick test, so no problem. :thumbsup:
Will it be possible after the rework to paint the mirrors and the front wing endplates in the main 'skin.dds'?
Non mirrored rear wing endplates would be nice for startnumbers, too. ;)

@Daniel Jimenez
You should optimize the LODs, as they get bigger and not smaller. Compared with other cars, you don't need to pack the textures again into the LOD B,C,D,...
View attachment 305821

And there is an unsteadiness in the amount of textures used.
For the textures itself you should use DDS format with proper compression (DXT1, DXT5) and resonable texture sizes.
View attachment 305823

Here's the CM analyse as an overview:
View attachment 305822
Hey, little question, how is that "not need to package again for lod C and lod D", can you explain me more?

Did you say there is an AC limitation regarding the transmission and shifting? I was wondering why the autoblip could not be turned off. I am accustomed to lifting for upshifts and manually blipping for some downshifts. I do that by preloading the paddle and breaking torque. The ratios are close in the Skippy to facilitate that sort of shifting. I'm sure everyone knows in RL this car has zero driving aids.

By the way, this car is a lot of fun. It is especially a welcome addition to AC since the iRacing version is in the shop for as yet an indeterminable amount of time.

Did you say there is an AC limitation regarding the transmission and shifting? I was wondering why the autoblip could not be turned off. I am accustomed to lifting for upshifts and manually blipping for some downshifts. I do that by preloading the paddle and breaking torque. The ratios are close in the Skippy to facilitate that sort of shifting. I'm sure everyone knows in RL this car has zero driving aids.

By the way, this car is a lot of fun. It is especially a welcome addition to AC since the iRacing version is in the shop for as yet an indeterminable amount of time.
Yeah, correct. I've been trying, but there's no way to get sequentials to work properly in AC. The best method I've come across is just increasing inertia of the transmission to a quite high level. Really there would need to be a system where it won't shift up if you don't let go of the throttle, and gearbox damage should be possible on clutchless, heel and toe-less downshifts.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.