Skinning Tutorial

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
I started this tutorial some months ago on RaceSimCentral, but after a while the graphics were lost. At the moment even the startpost was gone.

Recovered the text and reformatted it into a PDF.

Hope it is still useful for our members.

Attachments

• Race 07 Car Skinning Tutorial.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9,358
yes the wire layer helps a bit but you are right no easy way avadible, just try and error :)

I save the skin with the wire layer visible to help with alignment, then you can see where you need to move your object to, sadly as michael said though no easy and quick way. Remember you can change the colour of the wire layer too, just in case its hard to see against your base colour.

Just apply a colour overlay to the layer.

I put them in the custom skins as I put downloaded ones, they work. Mine dont.
Ini is correct.
Location (self named folder)
E:\Program Files\GTR Evolution\CustomSkins

Is this by any chance the offline version? If so I'm not sure how the custom skins work for that. If you are running the offline one, just install the online version - you can still race offline and it allows the use of many of the mods and all custom skins.

Hey guys,

Have a question about saving window skins in photoshop. After placing everything that I want on the windows (decals, etc.). I click on the alpha channel, flatten image, then save as .dds, DXT5 and generate 6 MIP maps.
But in game the decals on the windows are semi-translucent.

Am I going about saving it the wrong way? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Will

Hey guys,

Have a question about saving window skins in photoshop. After placing everything that I want on the windows (decals, etc.). I click on the alpha channel, flatten image, then save as .dds, DXT5 and generate 6 MIP maps.
But in game the decals on the windows are semi-translucent.

Am I going about saving it the wrong way? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Will

Will:

You have to change the alpha channel behind the decals, the more white the less transparent.

easiest way is to CTRL+click on the layer thumbnail to select the decal. Go to Channels select the alpha and either paint in white or light gray if you like a little transparency. or if your background color is white, just press delete.

Biggest error here is not selecting the alpha channel.

Hi!

Is there a way to change the color of the rims... I thought it wasn't, but after looking at a couple of skins here on the forum, I see there are a lot different rim colors...

Are those photoshopped or just changed in 3D MAX? Do the colors work ingame too?

Hi!

Is there a way to change the color of the rims... I thought it wasn't, but after looking at a couple of skins here on the forum, I see there are a lot different rim colors...

Are those photoshopped or just changed in 3D MAX? Do the colors work ingame too?

some cars have the options. I beleive that it's the gtr evo cars GT class.

others are photoshopped or changed in the rendering software.

As Willie said above only some cars can have the wheelcolour changed.

Read the template readme file it should be in your custom skin folder.

It's basically a line in the cars .ini file that needs amending

i.e wheelcolor = 1 (or 2 or 3 )

there's 3 ingame colours available. Black, White and Silver

I seem to be having an identical problem to Quattro...i've tried over and over agian, followed the tutorial to a "T", but my skins don't show up in game. After reading through this, the only possible conclusion I can come up with is that I'm fukin up something with the flattening process. Do I just flatten the whole thing from the top menu, or do I need to flatten a particular layer(s)? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Info:
Program in use - Photoshop CS2
Body I'm working - Honda Accord (WTCC07)
Saving in - C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\SimBin\RACE 07\CustomSkins

You can selct flatten from any layer. Once selected you should get a popup box saying "disgarde hidden layers" select yes. Once image has flattened you can save as a dds.

If you are working on a car body there is no need to flatten, you really only need to flatten windows and helmets.

Hi guys. Just finishing up my Formula Master skin and I've never done a helmet skin before. I use Photoshop to do my skinning. And just wondering how do I go about in saving it? (Flattening image, etc)

If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Thanks.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea