Skinning Tutorial

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
I started this tutorial some months ago on RaceSimCentral, but after a while the graphics were lost. At the moment even the startpost was gone.

Recovered the text and reformatted it into a PDF.

Hope it is still useful for our members.

Attachments

• Race 07 Car Skinning Tutorial.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9,347
I do have a problem. It is about the WTCC 2008 Seat Leon TFSI not the TDI. The ini file doesn't work with the usual parameters Here's a sample from log:
If it doesn't know parameter 'BODY' then is there a REALLY such a huge hole in the game that the 2008 Seat doesn't get ANY customskin on it or does some one know the asnwer to this? SimBin, as always does nothing to help anybody, what a bunch of #¤%&#%&..good game/zero support.

My ini file is similar to this and the filenames are correct etc:

I think that you may have the car name wrong in the ini. Rather than Seat Leon 2008, should it not be Seat Leon TFSI 2008. I always check to see what is says on the car selection screen

is there any way to get a skin from 1 car to another like say a camaro to a lacetti without having to remake it from scratch?

Mike:

It cans sometimes be done but typically only o TC types. The tempaltes for each are slightly different. However. what I do is have each of the design elements in a separate layer. So left hand side, right had side roof , hood, rear etc, then you may be able to get away with copying the layer, flipping to suit the direcion of the car and resizing to fit the body. That way you save some of the work.

Hi Peeps :)

I too am having problems skinning the cars. I have tried many times.

I am very familiar with PS CS4 and have the DDS 64bit plugin. Each time I run the game to see my result all I see is 4 wheels and the steering wheel. I read through Ramon's guide and noticed he used the Blackman filter. Thinking this may resolve the issue I was disappointed to see that this time the four wheels didn't have a steering wheel.

I pressed 'continue' thinking if it remains just four wheels I might gain an advantage in an online race? Imagine how freeked out the driver in front will be when SHe looks in the rear view mirror! But, alas the game crashed.

Oddly, Steam does not even notice the files if they are in the Steam/.../Customskins folder, they have to be in the 'My Doc's'/Simbin/Race07 area? Not that I think that this is the problem.

DX reports errors in it's 32 bit section but no errors in the 64bit section. ( I tried posting a pic of teh DX settings but I know not how, yet)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim, it's now how it's suppose to look.

I had the rest of the inquiry in a txt file waiting to paste it into the thread. However, I needed to know how to drop a pic in and navigated away to find how. (Rather than using the URL feature.)

I did not press the 'Post' button. So why it became 'live' I do not know?

Then as I came back to this window I noticed your comment and thought, 'What's he on about?'. I scrolled up to see the 'one liner'. LOL. It's as well I did else I would not have looked not having all teh info I wanted to post.

So, I guess I'm glad you saw it else many would have thought I was nuts.

Now I need to know how to delete a posting.

...Ray.

@Mods: When Jim Cole says he has read this explaination for what he saw originally, will you please delete this post!

I have read the post and unfortunately there is no simple way to post pics on this forum. You basically have to put the pictures up on a file server and put a link to the image here. The admins did this to help keep the bandwidth lower so they would have more for the race servers I would presume. Not to mention that the bandwidth can't be cheap even for this web site.

As to where to put the custom skins, normally they are all put into the folder that resides in your "My Documents" folder. Skin files put in the regular game folder would have to be part of a mod in order to be seen properly. Also, if you would like someone to look at what is going on, perhaps you would post the contents of your skins .ini file so we can have a look and see if there are any errors.

Hi guys! I made my car skin and it works but the problem is the game can't recognize my windows. It's created right, entered in the .ini file but in game the windows are the standart ones for BMW E90 320si 2009.

In addition - the moment I put the windows file in the .ini my car disappears from the game.

This is more of a generic photoshop question.

How do you make that red carbon "tile" that you use in the tutorial? 4x4 pixels is nowhere near enough to get that kind of detail...or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Never Mind I realized that there were some artifacts in the psd image I was using as a reference, it made it look like there were more colors in it than there really were

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back