Skinning Tutorial

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
I started this tutorial some months ago on RaceSimCentral, but after a while the graphics were lost. At the moment even the startpost was gone.

Recovered the text and reformatted it into a PDF.

Hope it is still useful for our members.

Attachments

• Race 07 Car Skinning Tutorial.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9,367
  • Stephan Knaepen

Hi,

Thank you for the tutorial. But I have a problem with saving it to DDS. I don't get the option to save it to DDS. I have installed the plugin from nvidia but it doesn't give the option for DDS. I'm using CS2 on Windows 7.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks

• naunaud329

problem

Hello everybody, I created a skin. I inserted the file via custom skin the way I race mode but not championship ..
but I would like to know how to use it in an offline championship?
thank you

ps:escuse for my english is little.

I can now make skins and my own windows, all I need to find out now is how to change the number on the default car number logo's? I don't want all my cars to be "0"
LOL?? can someone point me in the right direction.
:)

In the template there is a group of layers that has to do with the numbers. Just click the eye to the left of the 0 and put an eye next to the one you want. If you wish to have multiple numbers like 43 or something like that, click both and then move the layers a little to center them the way you want.

Another way would be to remove the eye for the 0 then use the text tool to put what ever number you want in there with the font you wish to use.

Ok I can basically do everything accept change the back round colour of a logo I want to use. Can this be done in PS??
Is it possible to change a .dds file back to a .psd file if you wanted to make changes to the file??
Hlep is much appreciated.

Ok I can basically do everything accept change the back round colour of a logo I want to use. Can this be done in PS??

Rather than try to match the back ground colour of the logo to the car, try to create a logo with a transparent background, then it can go on almost anything! Use the magic wand tool to select the logo. if it's multicoloured, adjust the tolerance, or use the "add to selection" option.

You've then got two options invert the selection and assuming the background colours are the same as your background colour hit delete. or use a mask.

Is it possible to change a .dds file back to a .psd file if you wanted to make changes to the file??
Hlep is much appreciated.

makee sure that when you save the DDS from the origial PSD don't for get to check the save as copy option. that way you'll always have the pSD to fall back on

Here's a pic of the first skin that I'm working on. Have a question, when I place the quiksilver logo on the hood in photoshop, how come in game it looks like its flipped? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• capture_2009-07-26_10-08-04.jpg
    capture_2009-07-26_10-08-04.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 247
Here's a pic of the first skin that I'm working on. Have a question, when I place the quiksilver logo on the hood in photoshop, how come in game it looks like its flipped? Any suggestions?

@Will

The accord is another one of the funny skins, you need to flip any logos on the hood/bonnet as for somne reason it gets flipped back in game.

There's a layer in the PSD file that you can turn on that tells you, bit it;s easy to miss.

select the logo or logo's thatyou have in the hood and flip vertical. That shoudl mean that they show up correctly.

Hi guys, I have few questions about skinning. it has probably already been asked but I couldn't find any information with the search tab.

Is there a simple way to match lines/logos when they are n two different part of the car? In other words, let say I want to put a line that goes from the hood and goes to the side. The two parts are devided. Do I have to guess where the two parts of the line tie in, and try, and try, and try...?

I have another question but can't remember right now :D

Btw, I'm using Gimp.

Thanks

Hi guys, I have few questions about skinning. it has probably already been asked but I couldn't find any information with the search tab.

Is there a simple way to match lines/logos when they are n two different part of the car? In other words, let say I want to put a line that goes from the hood and goes to the side. The two parts are devided. Do I have to guess where the two parts of the line tie in, and try, and try, and try...?

I have another question but can't remember right now :D

Btw, I'm using Gimp.

Thanks

I usually do one side of the car, make sure its all lined up in the carviewer/Deep Exploration and then once it all looks ok I just duplicate the layers and flip them over to the other side.

ok here's the screenshots, with a very simple example. If I understand you well, Michael, I have to guess, and try, and try again until it matches, no simple way that make the job for you

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 229
  • test._ingameJPG.JPG
    test._ingameJPG.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 200

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 155 87.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 23 12.9%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 52 29.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 65 36.5%