Skinning Tutorial

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
I started this tutorial some months ago on RaceSimCentral, but after a while the graphics were lost. At the moment even the startpost was gone.

Recovered the text and reformatted it into a PDF.

Hope it is still useful for our members.

Attachments

• Race 07 Car Skinning Tutorial.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9,332
I realized I wasn't right and I didn't describe it well... maybe this will be more helpful - I know how to change windows color, but I don't know how to do my own windows banners - it means my name on the window, number, sponsors etc. (it is like window color, so you can see trough this stuffs) and I need them like here...
again I apologize for misunderstanding

Attachments

• capture_2010-03-19_12-51-42.jpg
    capture_2010-03-19_12-51-42.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 360
make a layer above the windows color use the text tool and write the name you want have on the window into the template
after move it to the place you want have it repeat this for for any window you want have a name on
after you are done you should have 3 to 4 layers or 6 to 8 if you place a flag too you can make a Layer group and put them
all in into it then marquee this folder and move over to the alpha channel and fill the marked areas with white (do it not
befor you totaly happy with the placement of names and logos) done... your name is now on the window

I have a problem.
I made a Honda Wtcc skin last night. Saved it as a dds and made the ini file etc. Done a few skins before, so i got the basics down.
Went in game and it seems to just show 4 tyres. No body etc.
If i try to be a smart ass and continue to loading track it throws me out with a minidump.
Any ideas where i am making a mistake or what i should do?

• PixelRacer74

Issues & quesrtions re: tutorial, folders, saving, ini and files etc

Ramon, huge thanks for the tutorial, but I have a few points / questions.

1. I downloaded official templates from SimBin, and wished to skin an Aston Martin DBR9 for Race 07. The 3 main files are in psd format are comprised of several layers; my skin design now has in excess of 50 layers. Do I flatten ALL the layers before saving as DDS or do I keep them as they are? This is especially difficult for the DBR9's windows because there's 2 psd files for the windows, do I flatten them and save as suggested or do I not flatten? (I ask because when I flatten all I can see on the texture is the colours shown on the alpha layer and not the colours you'd expect to see).

2. You only mentioned about saving the files into the Custom Textures folder, surely they should be put into a designated folder for each car, yes? No? I have no idea exactly HOW and WHERE the files should be saved,.. to a specific folder for each car, if so, what do I name the folder?

3. The ini file, how should I name the car, like this:
Code:
[[R3plicant34]]
[[Kris]]
[B][Aston Martin DBR9][/B]
Body=DBR9_CHASSIS_D.dds

Yes? No?
Also, exactly how do I process the other 2 textures for the windows in photoshop, (they have multiple layers), before saving as DDS files?

DBR9_WINDOW_D.dds
and
DBR9_WINDOW_INT_D.dds

Also, during saving the .ini file, I've got the option of, 'ANSI', 'Unicode', 'Unicode big endian' and/or, 'UTF-8', which do I use when saving it? Oh and do I have to call it by a certain name given that my game isn't the demo but is in fact the full game and was installed through Steam? Surely calling it Aston Martin DBR9 Tutorial can't be right, and would that affect how the game recognises it?

4. Where can I look at existing skins? I just hope they're not encrypted, look at them would be really helpful in determining the file structure, folder paths etc, (that's assuming custom skins followed the same methods of course). At the moment I have no idea exactly where is the right place to have all my files.
If *I* don't know where to save my files, how will I be able to tell others where to save them in the Read.Me file when I publish it? ;)

5. Thanks. :)

Help appreciated. Here's a screenshot of the skin as it looked yesterday, (23rd June 2010).

I do have a problem. It is about the WTCC 2008 Seat Leon TFSI not the TDI. The ini file doesn't work with the usual parameters Here's a sample from log:
Invalid parameter 'Body' for car [SEAT Leon 2008]
Invalid parameter 'Windows' for car [SEAT Leon 2008]
Invalid parameter 'Numberplate' for car [SEAT Leon 2008]
Invalid parameter 'InteriorWindow' for car [SEAT Leon 2008]
Invalid parameter 'Driver' for car [SEAT Leon 2008]
Invalid parameter 'Ext_Driver' for car [SEAT Leon 2008]
Invalid parameter 'Helmet' for car [SEAT Leon 2008]
If it doesn't know parameter 'BODY' then is there a REALLY such a huge hole in the game that the 2008 Seat doesn't get ANY customskin on it or does some one know the asnwer to this? SimBin, as always does nothing to help anybody, what a bunch of #¤%&#%&..good game/zero support.

My ini file is similar to this and the filenames are correct etc:

[[Team nonsense]]
[SEAT Leon 2008]
Body=SEAT Leon Body.dds
Windows=SEAT Leon Windows.dds
Numberplate=WTCC Nameplate.dds
InteriorWindow=SEAT Leon Windows Int.dds
Driver=Int Driving suit.dds
Ext_Driver=Ext Driving suit.dds
Helmet=Helmet Type2.dds
Ingameflag=Finland.tga
MenuFlag=fin.tga