Skinning Tutorial

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
I started this tutorial some months ago on RaceSimCentral, but after a while the graphics were lost. At the moment even the startpost was gone.

Recovered the text and reformatted it into a PDF.

Hope it is still useful for our members.

Attachments

• Race 07 Car Skinning Tutorial.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9,335
the interior is not skinable on the orginal cars and on most mod cars it isent possible too
others have to download you skin or they will see you in the standart skin of your car
with having the wrong mirror color from cockpit view you have to life with it it is not fixable
as these parts like the interior are on locked files. and there is no comand to link them in the .ini

I'm skinning the BMW M3 GTR and it seems there is sheet metal located in the window template. Problem is, I can't get the metal pieces to match the color in my main template. What do I need to do to get those pieces the same color as in the body template?

I'm skinning the BMW M3 GTR and it seems there is sheet metal located in the window template. Problem is, I can't get the metal pieces to match the color in my main template. What do I need to do to get those pieces the same color as in the body template?

you need to add a layer above the parts layer and make it a.) overlay or b.) multiply (see pic)after
your taste then paint it in the new layer color will be probaly still in a different shade as it is material
dependant one and the same color looks different on body parts, glass or metal

Attachments

• sheetmetal.jpg
    sheetmetal.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 309
how can i paint windows? If I get something there it is all the time like behind it... I don't know how to explain but it is like it haven't 100% capacity... I tried to paint it into alpha channel but after that it gives me some artefacts :/ I don't know what to do...

how can i paint windows? If I get something there it is all the time like behind it... I don't know how to explain but it is like it haven't 100% capacity... I tried to paint it into alpha channel but after that it gives me some artefacts :/ I don't know what to do...

In case there's no windows color layer already, it's best to create a new one. In my opinion it's best to check the parts layer and see if the windows are coloured there. Erase those window coloured parts inside the frames(so they're see through) and put your new windows layer behind it. Now it should work fine! :wink:

I think I don't inderstand :( I have windows color layer there... then what? in photoshop I have nice and clear colors, like 100% but in game that capacity degreased for tens of % ...

EDIT: + why I can't use these parameters for Seat Leon 08? (body, windows, interiorwindow) - I always got error that these parameters are invalid (works fine in Leon 07)

(sorry I am noob in skinning :))

Ondrej:

There is a pretty good PDF guide to skinning on the site somewhere. That's what I used to get started.

As for the Leon 08, i think that there may be different attributes for that.

it may be

windows_int rather than interiorwindows and windows_ext rather than windows.

I haven't skinned the '08 cars yet so don't know.

for the 2008 Leon use these:

[SEAT Leon 2008 TDI]
body=
windows=
numberplate=
interiorwindow=
driver=
ext_driver=
helmet=

Note the 2008 TDI part in the name...
In regards to the window colors...there is a layer in the windows.psd called Window Colors; simply adjust that and it should work. No need to adjust alpha's.

well I don't.. I am out of ideas... what I am doing bad?
1. I open windows.psd
2. I delete banners (fiawtcc.com etc.)
3. I adjust windows color layer as I wish (my own banners - I didn't anything with alpha channel)
4. I Flatten image
= in game it seems like behind the window.. not painted on

maybe I just missed something

well I don't.. I am out of ideas... what I am doing bad?
1. I open windows.psd
2. I delete banners (fiawtcc.com etc.)
3. I adjust windows color layer as I wish (my own banners - I didn't anything with alpha channel)
4. I Flatten image
= in game it seems like behind the window.. not painted on

maybe I just missed something

Can you post a screenshot of how it looks ingame? Gives me an indication of what might be wrong...
Don't worry we'll get it sorted...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years