SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Here is a discussion taking place in the GD forums regarding the v1 vs v2 developments and some associated challenges. We are not alone in feeling a bit left out by this news but, some valid points being made on both sides and most of us can only imagine what's at stake from the business perspective.

As I said before, my primary interest is with new tuning features so, I will most likely want to pursue other DD options at some point and they will all be on the table. I just hope Simx throws something into the mix before too long. I know advanced tuning options are not a common thread very often but, I also know I'm not alone.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

How many people were sweet talked into upgradability and continuous feature development of SimuCube1.
How long was that in development, and not even a hint until announcement, so they could continue selling their obsolete and useless now Simucube boards.
Glad I didn't go for it and held on my good old Argon.

Upvote 0
Most of what SimuCube was advertised to be was fulfilled imo; it offered a simplified DIY solution at a time when there were not so many options and, the FFB is very good after all. It just fell a bit short in the suggestion of long-term & more advanced features being added later but, they were always vague about that part.

The problematic long-term support issues are easy to imagine being a costly part of the venture though. I can see that being a bigger issue than they bargained for in the beginning, and over time, the realization that sustainability is not possible. A more controlled standardized system makes sense in that regard.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

This is 180 degrees course change from open, extendable DIY platform that what OSW was all about.

There are some good discounted preorder prices,
https://racewerk.com/collections/simucube
Pro looks quite attractive but no way I am making any moves right now, will wait until Fanatec DD wheels start exploding, injuring their owners, and setting their houses on fire, only then I might consider. :roflmao:

Upvote 0
If anyone wants me to predict the winning lottery numbers this week, I'm not the guy you're looking for.

Saved up my pennies for many months and ordered the 20nm Augury package. It was dispatched to me this morning, just before the announcement.

F**k my luck is a phrase that comes to mind :cry:

Upvote 0
RaceNut hit the nail on the head regarding software. Accuforce, Fanatec (if they ever actually produce a real unit), SimCube 2....all good and viable options. I hear that VRS is creating their own as well, so there may be a fourth.

The power of these units is more than enough for 90% of the population, but the software is what will set it apart. Having wireless control with my steering wheel instead of plugging in a cable...eh, ok that's cool but i'm not paying $100's of dollars for it.

I want to see the most robust, complete package that is compatible with most titles and that has a good selection of steering wheels I can purchase.

Upvote 0
hmmm. right.
So I think I'll hang onto my IONI 1x for a bit longer... I mean, it's not like it sucks or anything really. haha

Maybe they'll discount the Simucube board now, then I'll grab it and just run with that.
Would have grabbed it a few months ago if it wasn't for the exorbitant delivery fees. ($100 AUD to ship it out here!)

bah, confused, need to digest more... no idea what to do now... :D

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Upgrade path for existing Simucube owners is closed. Mr. Beano just killed the last hope.
Just as it was closed for Argon and IONI owners when they moved to first Simucube. Thank you Granite Devices. :poop:
upload_2019-4-3_16-3-32.png

Upvote 0
I'll give it a few more days for the dust to settle but including the MiGE 20/30 in their development cycle would have gone a long way towards good PR and reputation. Let's see how the next couple of weeks unfold.

Upvote 0
If only there was a way to actually turn something that was done for love and a bit of pocket money into a viable business option WITHOUT destroying the user base that actually enabled it in the first place......

I'm starting to think that there isn't one.

Upvote 0
So, 'Open' Sim Wheel as we know/knew it is dead.
Now we must all upgrade and conform?
oh well. that was fun I guess.

edit: ...or maybe more accurate, OSW as we know it is frozen, not so much dead. If we want anything more we need to buy into the new way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's still a chance something useful will come to SimuCube from SimuCube2 development but, probably a small one. GD said both SimuCube systems will share the same FW updates (For now).

Upvote 0
Just a heads-up fro preorderers, Pro version comes with two power supplies as spec above says, literally two separate bricks.
https://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/100697-Simucube?p=2456807&viewfull=1#post2456807
Strange solution; that's something that could deter me from buying the Pro if I were in the market but, perhaps that plays into nudging those on the fence to go for the Ultra instead (quite a leap though). Next month will be interesting to see reviews for these and the Podium series.

Upvote 0
It's a bit of a shame the sport and pro miss out on software features. Locked out unless you spend twice the money on the ultra.
It's business I get it, bit still sucks.

Guess I'll wait for reviews. See how much difference these new features make, then decide what to do.

Leaning towards just going with a simucube 1 upgrade still. I like to make sure I usually have the best of the best when I upgrade/buy stuff, but Im not a super serious eSports iRacer :p ... I'm am pretty certain SC1 will be enough for me to handle.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

SC2 will no doubt provide more reliable and bullet proof HW solution, even with these engineering shortcuts it already looks like higher end piece, just look at the Fanatec rubber grommet QR.
But there is more to the story than that, Fanatec has upper hand with sim market share and therefore support from game devs if you need Forza and such, mind you many here don't. So it's not all white and black, knowing Granite Devices experience with motors control, I bet when it comes to pure FFB feeling and tunning, SC2 will have an edge, so you would need to decide what is more important to you.

DIY SC1 is already at level or better than D2.

Upvote 0
I love how easily you just wipe software support off that easily.

What if Fanatec gives foundation level support in addition to having instant support from all the game titles.

Being able to have a wide variety of rims that don't cost a pile is a big plus.

Your "assumptions" about durability are just that.

I've pretty well written off OSW at this point. I don't care if you disagree with me.

The big issue I see is that Fanatec will almost immediately corner the DD market and I believe they will put the effort into evolving their software to get the most out their motor.

I don't think people will buy the new SimCube solution in large numbers, but they will be all over the new DD1 and DD2.

My gut tells me this is a last act of defiance, and that the market will abandon OSW solutions now that there is a main steam product.

What that also means is that over time they will get less support from all titles.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 33 17.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 37 19.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 21 11.1%
  • Forum trophies