Sim lab P1 vs GT 1

I am close to purchasing my first 8020 rig and really like the look of the Sim lab P1 and GT 1 sim rigs . Apart from obviously the price difference what are the advantages or disadvantages of either from anyone with experience of these rigs ?? Struggling to decide..

Interesting, this is a thread I was going to start about all us who drive on the correct side of the road ! I have tried to put shifter to my right but just can not get on with it.

What is everyone else in the UK, AUS, any other right hand drive country doing ?
Shifting on the left as God and The Queen both intended. This keeps the sword hand free for fighting barbarians.

Upvote 0
What is everyone else in the UK, AUS, any other right hand drive country doing ?

Australia. Started with shifter as normal (for us) on the left but wanted to try match the cockpits of the cars, which are obviously the majority LHD. So I swapped, swore a little and then got used to it :)

It makes me mad though when in AMS and driving the Super V8 that I am not on the correct side.... I do like to 'try' to drive that thing.

Upvote 0
Interesting, this is a thread I was going to start about all us who drive on the correct side of the road ! I have tried to put shifter to my right but just can not get on with it.

My sim shifter and handbrake are on the left. It doesn't bother me that it's usually opposite to most vehicles in games, I'd rather it feel natural to my normal driving.

Upvote 0
My sim shifter and handbrake are on the left. It doesn't bother me that it's usually opposite to most vehicles in games, I'd rather it feel natural to my normal driving.
Agreed. I've said it before but I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was no immersion-breaking disconnect with shifting on the left in my cockpit and seeing my VR hands shifting on the right. I really did fear it would be a big issue beforehand.
I guess in a few years there won't be any shifting animations at all, and our hands will be properly tracked. There will hopefully be a quick switch possible between LHD and RHD on ALL vehicles too.

Mmmmm... I wonder what sim racing will be like in 2028? Might be a good topic for a speculation thread.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I've said it before but I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was no immersion-breaking disconnect with shifting on the left in my cockpit and seeing my VR hands shifting on the right. I really did fear it would be a big issue beforehand.
I guess in a few years there won't be any shifting animations at all, and our hands will be properly tracked. There will hopefully be a quick switch possible between LHD and RHD on ALL vehicles too.

Mmmmm... I wonder what sim racing will be like in 2028? Might be a good topic for a speculation thread.

Sim racing in 2028! Completely AI driven so set some sliders and relax, break out beer and read a book.

Upvote 0
Sim racing in 2028! Completely AI driven so set some sliders and relax, break out beer and read a book.
Ha ha..! I've actually been giving this some thought recently. Most kids born since 2015 may NEVER get the chance to drive a petrol-engined car, or even 'drive' a car at all - as in actually control it - if tech keeps heading the way it's going. So where will that leave the next generation of sim racers? Will there even be an appetite for driving virtual versions of something they've never experienced in real life? And what advances in sim racing tech can we expect in the next ten years? I might start a separate discussion thread, if I can work out an appropriate place for it on these forums.

Upvote 0
Just the forum thread I needed to find, I’m also looking at getting a Sim Labs rig and was confused at the real differences so this is a help.

But one thing I’ve noticed on the site is with the GT1 rig, if you pick the Wheel Deck mount it shows compatibility with the Fanatec DD wheel base which I was surprised to see as the last news I’ve seen of that is the prototype they showed off last year. The P1 page however does not show compatibility with that so, is it? Is it the exact same wheel deck piece and they just forgot to add that text about compatibility on the P1 page?

Also, I’m very limited in space in the room it would be going in and was wondering what the best way to raise the whole rig so that the seat was at the normal height of a normal office chair as I have to use the TV or the monitor I have which are both wall mounted with arms but no height adjustment.

Thanks.

Edit: Scratch that about the wheel deck, I was looking at the bundle pages where it didn’t have the info but it does mention it on both for the chassis only pages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Also, I’m very limited in space in the room it would be going in and was wondering what the best way to raise the whole rig so that the seat was at the normal height of a normal office chair as I have to use the TV or the monitor I have which are both wall mounted with arms but no height adjustment.

Thanks.
Great question, have exactly the same issue as planning to use it docked to to my office desk.

Upvote 0

Great question, have exactly the same issue as planning to use it docked to to my office desk.

That's the beauty of an 8020 rig, you can you pretty much whatever you want to it. The most obvious way to raise the whole chassis up is to simply fit some sofa legs to the underside of the perimeter rails.

4pcs-adjustable-10-15mm-height-60-250mm-furniture.jpg

These are available in a wide range of designs, heights and finishes, and often have adjustability for fine tuning. They'd simply screw into a channel nut on the underside of the cockpit. The P1 and GT1 are both normally supported on four stumpy rubber feet but I think if I was going to raise the chassis up I'd maybe double that number for stability, depending on the height.

Obviously, be extra careful if you have any sort of motion platform/seat mover..! :p

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Where do you get nice machined legs like these and how do you mount them to profile?

Upvote 0
Where do you get nice machined legs like these and how do you mount them to profile?
Amazon, eBay, AliExpress... everywhere. Google Image search the picture I posted above and it'll show some links.
As I said in my post, these legs will just screw into a channel nut in the underside of your P1/GT1 chassis. They are designed to screw into threaded bosses on the underside of sofas.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Please update the thread if you find the source and exact hardware needed for mounting.
Thanks

Upvote 0
not sure if i'm allowed to post a link just trying to help :) apologises if not https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZ7WD83/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=AZRAFA9GLR1WT&psc=1

Not 100% that would work, they look similar but they appear to be screwed in to furniture with 4 screws, even if you took the cap off them to expose the bolt it has its a very short 10mm one instead of having a bolt that I think needs to be 8mm to work with the T nuts that come with the Sim Lab rigs?

This is the only thing I’ve seen so far, has different lengths but not cheap though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OF3AFIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_O1zcBbQ199ZCZ

Upvote 0
Can anyone with a P1 give me the height from the ground that their butt is at with the normal little legs that come with it to give me an idea of how much higher I would need to make it. I know the different seats will change that but a rough idea will do.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes