Sim lab P1 vs GT 1

I am close to purchasing my first 8020 rig and really like the look of the Sim lab P1 and GT 1 sim rigs . Apart from obviously the price difference what are the advantages or disadvantages of either from anyone with experience of these rigs ?? Struggling to decide..

The P1 has a 160mm bottom rail, the GT1 has an 80mm bottom rail. Both should be completely sufficient for sim racing as a rigid and sturdy base. The GT1 seems to have a more versatile pedal deck, allowing more height and adjustment that the P1 pedal deck. That said, the pedal deck on the P1 seems to look a little nicer, but it will not be as adjustable as the GT1, which may or may not affect you personally. The P1 also comes standard with a brace for the gear shift/accessory mount that connects the end of it with the bottom frame, the GT1 does not and has the arm finish in mid air. I think the seat mounting frame is identical on both, but the GT1 may be a slightly wider chassis overall which may affect the dimensions of the seat mount frame. We're talking 50mm or so, so not a great deal. Both have an option of either a front mounted wheel deck, or a traditional shelf style wheel deck mount and both have the same adjust-ability.

Apart from that, they are very similar cockpits. I chose the GT1 over the P1 mainly because I wanted the added versatility in the pedal deck. It seems you can get your pedals up high enough to simulate lying down in an F1 car, provided you get your seat low enough to maintain that level with the maximum height of the pedal deck. In the end. I actually added the bracing for the side mount to mine as I liked the idea of that arm being fully fixed. I run shifter and handbrake on that arm so it's highly beneficial to have it especially with a handbrake.

I am super happy with mine, it took some messing around to get it exactly where I wanted it to be, but that was mainly due to me adding certain bits not standard on the GT1 build and needing extra profile to mount my V3 motion platform and my seat to said platform, which was a little awkward. Check out my build log with the GT1 for a more in depth look at the chassis in the way I have it configured. It may help you make a decision :)

Upvote 0
Thanks thats just the sort of information I needed . I to think I really favour the added adjustments in the pedal deck.
Can i ask where u sourced ur extra peices to reinforce the shifter arm and what type and size I would need to purchase to make the brace ? Ive never had to purchase any profile before so would be unsure what or where to purchase from .

Upvote 0
I obviously ordered my GT1 from SimLab. Apart from some shipping issues (made worse for the fact that I am in Australia and the turn around was longer than usual for local customers) they were very good in accommodating my requests. I bought no additional hardware apart from some bolts at the local hardware store and all was sent via SimLab to me. I paid for the additional pieces in the initial order. If you want a GT1 with some extras they should be able to sort that out for you. Some people have reported that their P1 rigs came with additional profile left over from the build but mine did not, apart from what I previously had requested.

Apart from that, if you need profile later on for mounts that you didn't account for in the initial build, there are places on eBay that sell profile and accessories, or there is an 80/20 website that specializes in all things aluminum profile. Online you should be able to source someone that is local that won't cost you too much on postage should you need to add to you chassis later on. For anything you already know you will need, I would just hit SimLab up and ask them to fill in any special requests or needs you may have and give you a price on the regular order plus the extras.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Great info, Anton.
Eye balling both myself.
On pedal deck adjustment, am I correct with my assumption that
GT1 allows up/down and angle adjustment
and
P1 angle and front/back adjustment.
At least it looks this way from the pictures.
And I think you can bolt some extra profile to pedal deck to raise it higher if F1 positionis needed.
P1-new-6.jpg

Wheeldeck-V5-16.jpg

Also, is there difference in height, looks like P1 will provide higher seating position due to higher base profile And what exactly did you use to secure hanging shifter mount on GT1.

Upvote 0
The GT1 pedals can also be adjusted forward/back too, the P1 just allows that procedure to be quicker. If the overall pedal adjustment flexibility is the deciding factor for anybody I have to give the advantage to the GT1. If for some reason you need to continually alter the distance of the pedals then the P1 is the one to go for. Of course with some additional profile it would be pretty easy to raise the P1 pedal plate.

Practically, who's messing with the pedal position constantly once dialled in? For swanky appearance the P1 pedal plate is nicer, but really that's the only thing I can see is the selling point. The thicker base provides an additional 8cm ride height but isn't going to feel any sturdier when you're sitting in it.

It's easy to get obsessed trying to work out if you're missing out by not getting the more expensive P1, personally I'd consider it unnecessary and more of if you like the look of it more. I can guarantee you can set up identical comfortable seating positions and a blind test will feel exactly the same.

Upvote 0
The pedal deck was the deciding factor for me, although in hindsight there are other advantages that the GT1 offered me that weren't obviously apparent at the time of purchase. The seat height is a big one, as the 160mm side mounts are huge on the P1, which in turn makes the pedal height adjustment even more restriced on the P1 since increasing the flat height is not readily possible with stock the stock design and provided profile. I liked the fact that if I wanted to I could get into a practically lying position with feet level with the seat. The fact that the cockpits were almost the same apart from that made it easy to decide for me. Adding the additional brace to mimic the P1 shifter mount means I have a lower P1 with a more adjustable (if somewhat more tedious) and versatile pedal mount. Any other difference is negligible.

As I mentioned before, I simply asked the guys at SimLab to charge me the additional hardware required to make the GT1 shifter mount look like the P1. They sent the hardware I needed. See my build log for the details.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

How do you adjust front/back position on GT1, from my experience this is the most critical one.

Upvote 0
I have a P1 with an integrated NLV3 motion platform and cannot fault it. Plus the seating and angled pedal position I've achieved is absolutely spot on for my requirements.

However I would entirely echo @Jeremy Ford and @AntoN_CheZ comments that the GT1 provides pretty much the exact same in terms of rig stability and mounting solutions and options for wheel, shifter, handbrake etc with the added benefit of a more flexible pedal deck solution in terms of height and angle adjustment. And there's a fair chunk of change to be saved as well. :)

I also agree with Jeremy that once set up to suit, it's very unlikely you'll be moving the pedal deck backwards and forwards anyway and any adjustment required, should you need it, tends to be done at the seat platform end, depending on the mounting solution used. I use a seat slider but only because my lad jumps on the rig whenever he's back from Uni and likes to sit a wee bit closer to the wheel than I do. And if you are thinking of adding the Next Level Racing motion platform there are proven and secure mounting solutions for both rigs, which a fair few of us on here have used so no worries there.

Whatever you decide you can't really go wrong and 8020 is so adaptable that almost anything is possible and I would hazard a guess that most of us with Sim Labs gear have put our own stamp on our P1 and GT1 rigs anyway, such is the flexibility and joy of working with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I went with the P1 over the GT1 as I wanted the added depth to mount the NLV3 motion platform within the chassis and keep the seat/CoG as low as possible, but as others have said there's not much practical difference between the GT1 and P1, as 8020 lets you easily customise it how you see fit. I prefer the aesthetics of the deeper chassis on the P1 but the additional strength is probably OTT but it just looks more solid and I prefer the proportions. If (when - lol) I upgrade to a Dbox system then the additional chassis depth and anti-twist corner rigidity might be a benefit, but I figured if I was spending all this money on the last cockpit I'll ever buy then covering my ass for an additional €100 was probably money well spent.

kQtxNBu.jpg

By the way, you absolutely do NOT need the vertical brace on the shifter mount. I didn't bother fitting the brace so mine is only cantilevered and has my CSS and handbrake mounted. It ain't going nowhere. Solid as a rock, even with my full weight resting on it.

You'll be happy with either the GT1 or P1, trust me. Both will survive nukes from space.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As @AntoN_CheZ mentioned, some of us ended up with a lot more extrusion left over for some reason. I've got about 10m of extrusion left and hundreds of fixings, and that's after making a custom monitor mount (see pic above). I forgot to mention that the €100 increase between the GT1 and P1 was offset by Sim Labs throwing in free delivery. I think I got mine just before they had a mad rush of orders which seems to have led to some mistakes (victims of their own success, I think), but customer service from Sim Lab has been excellent. I don't think I've mentioned this before but the end of one of my side rails was damaged on arrival and I had to get a small piece chopped off (on both rails, for balance) but Sim Lab gave me a partial refund for the hassle and are sending me a keyboard tray as further compensation. Like I said, excellent customer service.

One last thing, before I ordered I priced up components to build my own 8020 cockpit and the cost difference was negligible once the faff and cutting was taken into account. Sim Labs were also the cheapest out of all comparable off-the-shelf solutions.

You'll not regret getting one.

Upvote 0
Loving the 'clean' rig and added livery mate and good to see another 'lefty' as well! We're a rare breed. ;)
I wish I could break 30 years of muscle memory and shift h-pattern with my right hand as the majority of sim cars seem to be left-hand drive, but I don't even notice it in VR. I thought it would cause some disconnect or break in immersion, but thankfully it doesn't.

The 'livery' is from this set of five cheapo motorsport sticker sheets on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-FIVE-SHEETS-OF-BMX-MOTO-X-MOTORSPORT-RALLY-RACING-STICKERS-SELECTION-D/362217755665?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There's a few different sets to choose from, but a lot of them are narrow enough to fit in the gaps between the nut channels.

I love my stickers, me. :p

Upvote 0
I bought my Sim-Lab GT1 back in December 2015 and paid 599 Euro. Their are a few minor changes but the most significant improvement is the wheel deck which is a less versatile and cheaper system on mine consisting of a pretty simple cut aluminium plate with drilled holes . In fact I couldn't use theirs for my DD wheel and worked out my own solution.

I remember when I was shopping around and the JCL 80/20 rig was the other European option but quite a bit more expensive for a virtually an identical platform.

I've just had a look on the JCL website and they have a 669 Euro rig which resembles the wheel mounting system I'm using.

Upvote 0
Aussies drive left hand shift as well, but I changed mine because as you guys mentioned most of the cars are LHD. I never thought I'd be able to shift H-pattern right handed but lucky your body (and brain) is amazing and can adapt to nearly anything. A bit of practice and you barely notice. The hard part is still being able to heel toe which is stupid because your pedals are exactly the same as RHD. I think worrying about the shifter, something that you just take for granted normally, can make things a little confusing even for things that haven't been changed.

I bit the bullet and bought the Fanatec adapter for my left over CSS shifter, so will be able to practice when the McLaren GT3 finally arrives. I got them to combine shipping.

Tight ass, I am :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great replys and pics !! I think thats decision made and im going with the GT1 rig as I can get that added verstility for pedal placement. I have rather long legs for my body so that added adjustment will really help with comfort.
Got the small matter of selling my Simetik k2 rig first !! the Simetik is a great rig but as I plan to upgrade to DD and a new seat i want the best experience possible.
Im going to be ordering a DD wheel this summer and im just waiting on Fanatecs offering before pulling that trigger.

Upvote 0
I was going to wait for that but mainly out of curiosity as I didn't think I'd go direct drive. In the end though it's really nice and I haven't even dug into the settings yet. Fanatec's offering will be interesting as it will remain within the eco-system of the other products, something that all direct drive wheels fail at.

Upvote 0
Ditto on every point mate!
Interesting, this is a thread I was going to start about all us who drive on the correct side of the road ! I have tried to put shifter to my right but just can not get on with it.

What is everyone else in the UK, AUS, any other right hand drive country doing ?

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea