Sim lab P1 vs GT 1

I am close to purchasing my first 8020 rig and really like the look of the Sim lab P1 and GT 1 sim rigs . Apart from obviously the price difference what are the advantages or disadvantages of either from anyone with experience of these rigs ?? Struggling to decide..

My GT1 has some minor flex but it isn't noticeable enough to cause any issues. Most of it is the monitor mount flexing and not the main uprights.

Upvote 0
I don't have any. If there is, it's absolutely not noticeable. Of course, since I say that there isn't any at all, even if there may be.

The wheel deck on the new Evo is not as well connected as the old GT1 in my opinion. It may be the cause of it. It sticks out a lot more than my GT1 which basically has the wheel base mounted directly in between the uprights. I'm sure this provides extra rigidity and is the reason I feel completely rock solid. I run 100% strength from the Simucube profiler and then generally anywhere between 30 - 40 % strength FFB in game, for reference.

Upvote 0
I ended up buying some 40x40 and 40x120 alluminium extrusion, plus 25 40x40mm cast L brackets with matching T-nut inserts and brackets and made my own.

Have you got photos of yours?
Do you have any links to what you bought as I may buy the stuff to make my own if its much cheaper?

Upvote 0
Of course! It's like almost made for it! I have one and I've been running the SFX-100 for a couple of months now. Wow it's already been that long....

Excellent, thanks.
Have you got any links to your build?

Also what is the height of the GT1 itself (including rubber foot) to the top of the steering wheel mounting uprights?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Resurrecting this old thread, as I'm just looking into P1 versus GT1 myself.

From what I've read, the more expensive P1 comes with a less-adjustable pedal deck, albeit more *easily* adjustable front/back.

Does anyone know why they took that (apparent) step backwards in the design? Does anyone know if it's possible (e.g. $$$) to get them to combine the two designs, keeping the easy front/back adjustment (so that my nephew can easily hop in and get comfortable), whilst enabling the higher deck setting if we want the open-wheeler-style seating position with raised legs?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

It is an old thread as none of these models are available anymore.

Upvote 0
OK, I meant to say Evo and P1-X; doesn't the question remain the same, or am I misunderstanding what I'm seeing here and on their website?

Upvote 0
FWIW the P1-X isn't always an improvement over the P1. It depends on how you use yours. In my case, it would be a lot more difficult to have the P1-X pedal deck.

I think this is really a situation where you have to decide if an overkill rigid frame is a better fit for you. I like that concept and love my P1 chassis. However the Evo is lighter and may be a better fit for some motion systems. A solid foundation is important, but people have different ideas about how solid something should be.

The P1-X does have the pedal deck mounted on the inside of the frame so that does make it easier to find a good place to mount actuators in front of the wheel support. Since I have my pedal deck sliding forward and backwards almost to extremes in order to be able to accommodate flight pedals, I would have trouble mounting the front 2 actuators.

Upvote 0
Short answer is that the P1x now does include a more adjustable pedal deck height wise so is best of both worlds. I have old P1 design and was asking myself the same questions at the time.

Upvote 0
Short answer is that the P1x now does include a more adjustable pedal deck height wise so is best of both worlds. I have old P1 design and was asking myself the same questions at the time.

I realize that this is going to probably add confusion rather than help and that this is only specific to the configuration that I have created using the P1 as a starting point.

I have a power strip, the USB hub and wheelbase power supply ( soon to be supplies) mounted under my rig because it is mobile on retractable casters. I did stack a piece of 40x40 above the stock frame to raise the pedal deck, but that was only necessary because of the additional seat height because of my NLRv3 motion system and how it is mounted.
undermountstorage_4278.jpg

In addition there are a pair of 40x40 profiles inside the frame to support my flight pedals when I slide the pedal deck forward so it is out of the way.
flightpedalmounts_4280.jpg

Once I again, I realize that this is a pretty unique configuration and that I have set a specific pedal deck height.

The only take away from this is that 8020 material is extremely flexible and the stock configurations work well, but can also be used as a starting point.

Upvote 0
Interesting, thanks.

I see that the P1-X is "Now available for pre-order". I emailed them a day ago, but they haven('t replied yet. Did you have that same situation, and if so, and idea how long the wait is before they can ship something?

Upvote 0
They processed my order very quickly once I paid. But at the time I was actually waiting for the GT1 to come back into stock and when it didn't I just bought the P1.
They have become very successful and in general now take longer to process and ship. All I can say is that the end product is worth the wait.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 72 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 77 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 49 6.4%
  • < 5 years