Sim Discussion Monday - rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Logo.jpg

Have an opinion on rFactor 2 or got a question to ask? Having something burning to discuss about the game or want to share a review? Well, now you can...

Monday.. back to work, back to reality. To help ease the pain we thought it would be a nice idea to have a good old discussion. Use this article to share your opinions on rFactor 2, tips on how to get the best performance from the sim, what content is great, what is less so and anything else you might so desire!

I will be running one of these each Monday, for all the major sims, as a place to get some community feedback on the game itself and everything associated with the title.

Let's use this as a place for some user reviews and a central spot for all things rF2. Found a good mod you want to let people know about, tell us! Have a particular favourite car or track? Well shout up! Know some tricks to get the game running in its sweet spot? Fire away! Want to muse about future content coming to the sim, or want to beg the developers to go out and secure a particular licence agreement? Well now you can... !

rFactor 2 has come a long, long, long way in a short space of time after its initially slow start to life under Image Space Incorporated. Now with DX11, VR, quicker development and several exciting pieces of content and features all in the pipeline, there really hasn't been a better time to be involved in the simulation....

Mondays be like...

rF2 Discussion datasting.jpg
rF2 Discussion jayarrbee36 2.jpg
rF2 Discussion jayarrbee36.jpg
rF2 Discussion RoWo.jpg

Image credits - datasting (picture 1), jayarrbee36 (pictures 2 & 3), RoWo (picture 4)

URD his LMP1 collection is a worthy addition if you're looking for great mod quality,worth the price though I really miss the toyota LMP in the pack,started driving the audi R18,haven't stopped since,simtek GT3 also a great mod,this is free and there is a huge skinpack on this website for both those packs (and enduracers skins included)

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Minimum Torque setting was used to get rid of the deadzone of your wheel. For example my G27 has deadzone of 19% which was calculated using iRacing wheel checker app, in rFactor 2 I then set my Minimum Torque setting to 18.5%.

Does anyone know for certain? I would be happy to go back to the drawing board if this is true. Anything for better FFB - the Holy Grail of sim racing! :D

19% deadzone sounds like still way too much even for a G27 :confused: I think my G27 will oscillate crazy with that setting.

absolutely can't agree with you about RRE and AMS. I tried both games a few dayes ago so I can surely telll that you are wrong! both RRE and AMS have terrible AI. In RRE AI just pushed me out of the track at start of race without any reasons. So I removed this game from my PC without any sorrow. AMS AI looks like a copy old rFactor's AI, they are also so rude, reckless, I checked it and they just ram into me all time when I tried change ideal racing line. It is the same problem as rfactor1.
I can agree with you only Asseto Corsa AI. They really look like very good, but I am not tested much yet
I agree with a good portion of your opinion. R3E AI is very unnecessarily aggressive in many situations, and if set to adaptive AI, very inconsistent too. AMS AI also has quite inconsistent lap times between sessions and races, but I find that AI batter at handling race starts than R3E and RF2. I haven't tried the most recent update a few days ago yet because I've been busy playing in VR. I'll quote myself somewhere else
Before I buy my rift I always think people who say "AMS doesn't work for me because I can't play without VR now" are just making a big unnecessary fuss, but now after I experience every dev's attempt to VR I kinda feel the same way. I really don't see myself coming back to AMS often if at all. It feels a bit sad that I've become one of the "VR mobs". I also don't think I'll launch GTL, GTR2, Race07, RF, GSC and other older titles any more and probably will remove them from my hard drive.

On the topic of AI I think different people have very different expectations from AI. I only do open track days right now and overtake in my intermediate group can only be done with a point by. So when I do sim racing I also wish not to get punted too often and prefer AI to be a little bit on the safe side. That is why I don't like R3E and RF2 AI right now. Actually now that I think about it, most races I have done here at RD people are much more conservative than AI in those games.

I mainly play AC and I have mixed feelings with RF2.
IMHO FFB is on the same level of accuracy, even if quite different, also for AI....
I like very much detaching car body parts in RF2 in case of accidents (lacking in AC), and so for animated marshalls around the track (RF2).
Rain/Weather/Night&Day could be better implemented (graphically wise) in RF2, sadly in AC they are not at all....
But RF2 falls far behind when I look for laser scanned tracks and for modern graphics, even if DX11 work have much improved things.
I do hope in a further improvement for the above two fields.......and I'm ready to support both games with DLC purchase..... :)

Sadly for me I could not see any graphical difference between DX9 and DX11, so I reverted back to DX9. Why? As I am so used to the GID HUD with the track map. And it seems the DX9 version of the HUD will not be updated. Also, like someone else mentioned there are a lot of tracks that looks so bad in the game, real RF1 stuff. AMS graphics and tracks are awesome and they are still on DX9.

Rfactor 2 has the most potential of any Sim on the market today.

Here are the reasons it falls flat.
1. it's a power hungry poorly optimized simulation. While using DX11 running two GTX 1080ti's in SLI is still not enough. Sli is quite simply not working. People would like to use triple screens in multiview. As soon as that option is checked it's choppy Very low FPS leave it unplayable.

2. not enough content. By the time Studio397 pumps out one track and car Reiza has cranked out several Tracks and cars that are simply Top Notch. With all the time that RFactor 2 has been out... there should be a complete series including drivers Names and Talents as well as a complete track set to run with it. Instead users can download a series like the USF2000's and drive around on tracks that the real cars don't run.

3. multiplayer is a mess. Trust me ... been on the Rfactor 2 forums and many many people can not host a session or join one for that matter. I tried for weeks and finally gave up. Support is also sub-par. There needs to be a straight forward how to stickyed in the Hosting Help sub forum.

4. difficult modability. All this opening mas , unpack mas , repack mas through there MAS utility is simply put "frustrating". and people would rather have more time to enjoy the game. A simplified method of adding/editing a mod would be very much appreciated.

With all the time that RFactor 2 has been out... there should be a complete series including drivers Names and Talents as well as a complete track set to run with it.

Apart from AMS' Brazilian Stockcars and the F1 2017 franchise, there aren't any complete series in any games that aren't iRacing.

AMS hasn't completed any other series even though they're adding lots of content in shotgun fashion. F1 2017 is what it is, a single-series focused title.

A lot of the content drives terribly, the game looks bad most of the time, and it's never going to be anywhere near current. It's a dead platform. ISI better be thinking about their next consumer product, or perhaps give up on that segment entirely.

Honestly DX11 has made RFactor 2 look really good, but the comments are true about having to have true DX11 updated cars and tracks (which are too few). I personally think graphics are very important and that is what AMS lacks. Any discussion of AMS going to DX11 in the future?

I acquired RF2, along with AMS and AC this past November after finally upgrading my 8 year old PC. After spending the proverbial gazillion hours behind the wheel of RF1 I was so looking forward finally being able to drive RF2. You know what? I still haven’t cracked 15 hours in it. I just can’t seem to drive anything above the USF2000. Anything beyond that and it feels like I can *barely* keep it on the grey stuff. I was never close to “alien” speed in RF1 but I was “acceptably OK” for my own level of enjoyment. In RF2, I just feel like the sim racing equivalent of a baby deer wobbling around on spindly legs.

I don’t know what it is that’s holding me back with RF2. Maybe it’s from my reliance on having moderately drivable default setups in most RF1 mods. Maybe it’s because my ECCI wheel has no FFB and only 180 degrees of lock and the tire model just isn’t suitable for that combination. Maybe it’s just that RF2 simply *does* feel that much different than RF1 and I have yet to scrape the RF1 residuals off. I’m guessing it’s most likely a combination of all the above.

Whatever the “causes” are, RF2 just hasn’t fit for me. Does this mean that I think RF2 is “below” other titles or a bad product? Absolutely not. I genuinely wish Studio 397 and RF2 drivers well. Should I spend more time with RF2 to make use of my modest investment and get closer the enjoyment that might be waiting for me? Almost certainly. It’s just feels like the amount of effort I would need to reach a fun-not-aggravating level in RF2 isn't really compatible with my priorities.

3 pages about rF2 and you can see it near AMS a lot of times, why we don't tell us each other the truth?
We want S397 and Reiza to work togheter, Reiza content and attention to details with rF2 physics and weather system!!!
We should do a petition...and I am serious...really...we should...ok?...ok well...
(sorry but rF2 nd AMS are my favorite titles right now)

I acquired RF2, along with AMS and AC this past November after finally upgrading my 8 year old PC. After spending the proverbial gazillion hours behind the wheel of RF1 I was so looking forward finally being able to drive RF2. You know what? I still haven’t cracked 15 hours in it. I just can’t seem to drive anything above the USF2000. Anything beyond that and it feels like I can *barely* keep it on the grey stuff. I was never close to “alien” speed in RF1 but I was “acceptably OK” for my own level of enjoyment. In RF2, I just feel like the sim racing equivalent of a baby deer wobbling around on spindly legs.

I don’t know what it is that’s holding me back with RF2. Maybe it’s from my reliance on having moderately drivable default setups in most RF1 mods. Maybe it’s because my ECCI wheel has no FFB and only 180 degrees of lock and the tire model just isn’t suitable for that combination. Maybe it’s just that RF2 simply *does* feel that much different than RF1 and I have yet to scrape the RF1 residuals off. I’m guessing it’s most likely a combination of all the above.

Whatever the “causes” are, RF2 just hasn’t fit for me. Does this mean that I think RF2 is “below” other titles or a bad product? Absolutely not. I genuinely wish Studio 397 and RF2 drivers well. Should I spend more time with RF2 to make use of my modest investment and get closer the enjoyment that might be waiting for me? Almost certainly. It’s just feels like the amount of effort I would need to reach a fun-not-aggravating level in RF2 isn't really compatible with my priorities.
rF2 punishes bad driving habits waaaaaaay harder than other sims, especially if the track is "green" so practice is key, if you leave it you'll never get used to it. Get some rubber on track and drive drive drive. Adding the AI to rubber the track helped me a lot in my first months driving in this sim

3 pages about rF2 and you can see it near AMS a lot of times, why we don't tell us each other the truth?
We want S397 and Reiza to work togheter, Reiza content and attention to details with rF2 physics and weather system!!!
We should do a petition...and I am serious...really...we should...ok?...ok well...
(sorry but rF2 nd AMS are my favorite titles right now)

Sorry but I do not find the contents of reiza particularly "good"
He is friendly and I take pleasure but without more...It has the same syndrome as rf2 without the feature!
i waiting of reiza 2018!

A lot of valid points here and some perhaps not so valid :rolleyes: .. For me I have been with rf2 from the beginning, like a lot of others here ..

rf1 was the only other sim I ever played, But I do have some amateur kart and track day experience doing track days with my BMW328i but nothing much over 130mph lol (I do know what its like to have to change your underwear after trying to stay on the edge for only a short time lol that and waiting 3 days for your neck muscles to stop hurting lol)..

I was a Jane's flight sim series, falcon 4 to Allied force to BMS flight sim junky for some10+ odd years ,all on line with other pilots , I remember the first time I tried the rf1 demo and was hooked on the pure sense of speed compared to the flight sim's .. sounds strange but when your in the air I guess you cant see/feel the real speed like the racing sim's provide , at least for me , then to be able to do it online vrs other like minded drivers ! what a rush ! I became addicted to the intense racing vrs other humans .(never could never get that same thrill when racing off line so I simply never raced off line:D)

Then rf2 was announced ! ok ,we were all so hyped , the first thing I noticed was that the cars actually felt like well, cars ! IMO in rf1 its a matter of figuring out how the software works and capitalizing on that to be fast ..rf1 was close but nothing like what a real car would do in real life conditions .. Now in rf2 i could apply what I thought I should apply and get the reaction i expected ! this made me very happy ! ya it was buggy with very little content but I saw the potential and was instantly hooked again .. it was hard as rf2 moved along at a glacial pace lol..

Then AC was announced ! omg this could be the next coming of sim racing ,or so allot of us thought .. it looked amazing and drove real good but it didn't take long for the sim community to start asking where are all the racing feature's >? and we all know how that went lol ,its a lot better now thanks to kunos and the community added features like pTracker and many others, that made it a lot better for leagues etc...but you still cant do true endurance racing , or get caught for speeding in the pits or ..or ... it's those kinds of small details you know ,it's all the little things that happen in real racing :ninja:.... that list is long but AC is still a fantastic sim !

IMO ISI nailed it as far as actual racing environment and that has spoiled a lot of us ..to this day I don't see these details in any of the newer sims , with the exception of AMS that's simply the ISI rf1 gMotor with a lot of enhancements+ a tweeked reelfeel with a nice FFB feel ....., it is a great piece of work Rizza has done but for me when I drive it it seems more like rf1.5 lol ..

As far as MP goes rf2 public lobby's are a ghost town , although slightly better than AMS lol This might all change when S397 releases the new UI ...however the league presents in rf2 is very strong ! if you like rf2 and want to drive it join a league .. its one of the only sim's that has all the real racing features , one example would be you can have live Stewarts monitoring the races and handing out penalty's of all kinds .. just scratching the surface of rf2's endless feature's, these are the kind of things that make it great for league racing ..

One thing I see is a lot of players complaining about running rf2 .. I guess Im just lucky I have no issues with it .I play it in DX11 in 4k on a 50" 4k monitor with a single Nvid 1080..no input lag no stutter , no alt tab issues ..clean & crisp !
rf3 1.jpg

Allot of the probs players complain about seem to be with older systems ,but not all .. like any software it will preform differently on one players system than another's .. that's the mystery of software I guess .. then thay complain about the vmod's and online racing .. wow for me its great don't have the content but want to race ? rf2 will download and install it from the lobby ..Its up to the host to set this up but it works perfectly if the admin has set it up properly .. the number of people complaining are out numbered by the number of players that have it working fine ..it's up to the admin .. for us in our league its a welcome feature !

Right now it seems, if you want public open racing with more than 5 drivers AC is the best choice .. If you can find a server with MR on it the public drivers seem to behave a little better , If you search the servers by clients you will always find something with 15-24 drivers on it ..and sometimes it NOT NORDS ! lol .. but go figure ,the AC community out numbers the rf2 community by about 3 million ! hah not bad for a game without a lot of real racing features !

Anyway I very happy with rf2 and it's nice to see S397 keeping it alive and moving it forward !:) right now my racing is split pretty much 50/50 with rf2/AC raced AMS for about a month but just don't feel like driving it anymore .. and pCars .. well ya its cool but .. pCars 2 ?? we shall see ! it could be it ! hah.. The perfect sim IMO would be a mix of the 3 with the ISI based features :geek: ! dreamer .... :p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back