Sim Discussion Monday - rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Logo.jpg

Have an opinion on rFactor 2 or got a question to ask? Having something burning to discuss about the game or want to share a review? Well, now you can...

Monday.. back to work, back to reality. To help ease the pain we thought it would be a nice idea to have a good old discussion. Use this article to share your opinions on rFactor 2, tips on how to get the best performance from the sim, what content is great, what is less so and anything else you might so desire!

I will be running one of these each Monday, for all the major sims, as a place to get some community feedback on the game itself and everything associated with the title.

Let's use this as a place for some user reviews and a central spot for all things rF2. Found a good mod you want to let people know about, tell us! Have a particular favourite car or track? Well shout up! Know some tricks to get the game running in its sweet spot? Fire away! Want to muse about future content coming to the sim, or want to beg the developers to go out and secure a particular licence agreement? Well now you can... !

rFactor 2 has come a long, long, long way in a short space of time after its initially slow start to life under Image Space Incorporated. Now with DX11, VR, quicker development and several exciting pieces of content and features all in the pipeline, there really hasn't been a better time to be involved in the simulation....

Mondays be like...

rF2 Discussion datasting.jpg
rF2 Discussion jayarrbee36 2.jpg
rF2 Discussion jayarrbee36.jpg
rF2 Discussion RoWo.jpg

Image credits - datasting (picture 1), jayarrbee36 (pictures 2 & 3), RoWo (picture 4)

Have the AI been improved on those tracks? My first experience on Spa was absolutely atrocious and I didn't bother loading any more of those tracks. (Love the cars though, probably my favourite mod even if it's mainly for the sound - omg that sound!!!! )

(Of course, I meant 1988 mod, not 1998... :notworthy:)

The AI's still not great - see video - but I love driving around the track on my own probably more than I should :rolleyes:

I don't know if people are aware of it but AMS was a partnership between Reiza and Luminis...

I feel this was the spark that ignited the S397 project. I also wonder if it was Luminis staff that were going to implement VR for AMS given the official comment was the person responsible left the company.

To add to the confusion, the guy who seems to have coded VR for RF2 is an ex-KS employee and he did the early days Rift implementation for AC, and i also happen to remember when that guy left Kunos Simulazioni, Stefano had to do the CV1 code from the ground up (or a huge amount of work-either way Stefano seemed gutted that he had to do it after those poll results...):)

Now I'm confused. Isn't that what I've been doing, but from the opposite direction? When I've finished setting FFB for a particular car and circuit, the wheel doesn't oscillate - if there is the faintest vibration I then reduce the Minimum Torque by a hair.
Well, yes, more or less. But I'd argue that the "from the opposite direction" bit might not lead to optimal results. This way, you're setting the FFB right below the point where the oscillation starts. It doesn't mean that's the ideal point to set it to. Kinda like listening to music right below the point where the speakers pop out might not produce an ideal listening experience ;)

The Game:
At this moment in time and just like when ISI held the reigns you really need to take RF2 for what it is, focus on the strong points and just Race, once you start to focus on the negatives you may as well play something else. This Sim still has many features other Sims don't, whilst some of these features are annoyingly half-baked they are still 50% more than what the others have, give it time and as below S397 should get around to sorting them out.

VR:
Good early implementation, some optimisation still to be done after a very good first few weeks of beta builds, a Lock To Horizon (or variant) is needed, overall though like other Sims it provides a fantastic experience and certainly beats a flat screen!

AI:
*Was* the best in the business but RRE & AC have recently really caught up (not quite overtaken), by all accounts AMS is right up there as well but I'm (yet) to try it out for myself so will reserve judgement. I'm hoping S397 have a plan for the AI, so far nothing has been said which is fine (DX11 integration far more important right now) but there are certain areas that need to be tweaked, changed or fixed completely.

Graphics:
Not for me to say as I'm not one that must have fancy graphics, I'm from the old skool Amiga days where Gameplay is everything (Sensible Soccer still beats FIFA hands down!!). From what I've read though the DX11 improvements have been a reasonable success thus far.

The Niggles:
Disappointed by the Radical AI being released in the state it was, I understand if S397 just wanted to get the car out there for us to enjoy but they should've made the AI fix a top priority after release and so far there is no sign of it. The lack of Talent files in this and the Civic (literally a 10 second hotfix) release is also a worry, it would make the below mentioned Offline Championship a bit of a let down if the AI don't have that great Individuality you can acquire from a Talent File.

The Future:
I'm excited for a better Online Experience through Safety Ratings and the like that S397 have planned, the new UI is going to provide a better experience with the Sim especially the MoTeC integration, further GT3 cars and more tracks are always welcome (Paid DLC is fine with me), Offline Championship is long overdue and the recently seen Formula-E advert may push the numbers up a bit if done well enough.
Further improvements to Physics & the Tire Model are always welcome, we need to be pushing the boundaries of what we can achieve in both these areas, more Realism the better for me.
As above I would like to see further AI improvement, certain areas that ISI left stale need to be either dumped completely or fully integrated, the weather (which is being worked on) is probably the #1 on my list in that department.
Overall so far so very good with S397s takeover, they are sim racers at heart and know what we want from a Sim so that should go a long way to producing a top quality racing game, something that RF2 always strived to be but got held back over time unfortunately.

Wishes:
Virgin Australia Supercars Official Content, with the Aussie/NZ tracks that every Dev seems to be scared of including (there's more to just Bathurst Down Under ya know!), Short Oval UK Cars & Tracks, a Damage Model improvement not just for physical but also mechanical...oh yeah and AI improvements..think I've mentioned that already ;)

Amiga ruled!!!!! ... i remember when i was just a kid.. and saw silkworm... :)

Apart from AMS' Brazilian Stockcars and the F1 2017 franchise, there aren't any complete series in any games that aren't iRacing.

AMS hasn't completed any other series even though they're adding lots of content in shotgun fashion. F1 2017 is what it is, a single-series focused title.

Dang it, gotta correct myself because I left out R3E's DTM & WTCC series. Not only complete for tracks & cars, but even covers multiple years.

I forgot R3E's DTM & WTCC!?! Blame it on a long weekend in the sun watching the Portland Historic Races and abusing Jaguars in the "Jaguar Experience" autocross. I skipped the Land Rover experience. Kind of like I skip the SUVs in AC.

Last edited:
Apart from AMS' Brazilian Stockcars and the F1 2017 franchise, there aren't any complete series in any games that aren't iRacing.

AMS hasn't completed any other series even though they're adding lots of content in shotgun fashion. F1 2017 is what it is, a single-series focused title.

Raceroom:
WTCC 2013-17
DTM 2014-2017
DTM 92
GTO Classics

RF2 is an excellent engine and ill get excited when some more official content/series is added to fill out the classes and transform this title from an engine demo into a game.
I respect the hard work of modders but tend to stay away from modded content to avoid conflicts and issues.
I like simplicity and not digging through files :)

My guess is that the pack will contain the AMG GT3 as ISI had Mercedes lisences before. Other pretty realistic options are the Nissan GTR GT3 and the current Bimmer.
Hope there is a second part of that pack :D there are so much GT3 out there
They said in forums the Speed 8 license was traded for a modern car of the same manufacturer, can only be current Bentley GT3

• ronniej

I don't know if people are aware of it but AMS was a partnership between Reiza and Luminis...

I feel this was the spark that ignited the S397 project. I also wonder if it was Luminis staff that were going to implement VR for AMS given the official comment was the person responsible left the company.
Manwith at it again! Thx for info.

[QUOTE = "Stephen O'Sullivan, post: 2540239, member: 247499"] Ajustar la rotación de la rueda y el bloqueo es otro tema. Mi mensaje no tenía la intención de ser una guía completa, sino un resumen de lo que hago para obtener FFB razonable con mi rueda de edad. :)[/CITAR]
As much as you touch the steering lock does nothing because I say that the problem is visual.

[QUOTE = "Manwith Noname, post: 2540465, member: 255579"] No sé si la gente es consciente de ello, pero AMS fue una asociación entre Reiza y Luminis ...

[MEDIA = youtube] wLNwelkMrp0 [/ MEDIA]

Siento que esta fue la chispa que encendió el proyecto S397. También me pregunto si fue el personal de Luminis quien iba a implementar VR para AMS dado el comentario oficial fue la persona responsable que dejó la compañía. [/ QUOTE]Motorist the correct direction in the video looks perfectly like the volamet corresponds to the turn of that category there is a normal car. By much touching in rfactor2 the steering lock does nothing because I say the problem is visual.

A lot of valid points here and some perhaps not so valid :rolleyes: .. For me I have been with rf2 from the beginning, like a lot of others here ..

rf1 was the only other sim I ever played, But I do have some amateur kart and track day experience doing track days with my BMW328i but nothing much over 130mph lol (I do know what its like to have to change your underwear after trying to stay on the edge for only a short time lol that and waiting 3 days for your neck muscles to stop hurting lol)..

I was a Jane's flight sim series, falcon 4 to Allied force to BMS flight sim junky for some10+ odd years ,all on line with other pilots , I remember the first time I tried the rf1 demo and was hooked on the pure sense of speed compared to the flight sim's .. sounds strange but when your in the air I guess you cant see/feel the real speed like the racing sim's provide , at least for me , then to be able to do it online vrs other like minded drivers ! what a rush ! I became addicted to the intense racing vrs other humans .(never could never get that same thrill when racing off line so I simply never raced off line:D)

Then rf2 was announced ! ok ,we were all so hyped , the first thing I noticed was that the cars actually felt like well, cars ! IMO in rf1 its a matter of figuring out how the software works and capitalizing on that to be fast ..rf1 was close but nothing like what a real car would do in real life conditions .. Now in rf2 i could apply what I thought I should apply and get the reaction i expected ! this made me very happy ! ya it was buggy with very little content but I saw the potential and was instantly hooked again .. it was hard as rf2 moved along at a glacial pace lol..

Then AC was announced ! omg this could be the next coming of sim racing ,or so allot of us thought .. it looked amazing and drove real good but it didn't take long for the sim community to start asking where are all the racing feature's >? and we all know how that went lol ,its a lot better now thanks to kunos and the community added features like pTracker and many others, that made it a lot better for leagues etc...but you still cant do true endurance racing , or get caught for speeding in the pits or ..or ... it's those kinds of small details you know ,it's all the little things that happen in real racing :ninja:.... that list is long but AC is still a fantastic sim !

IMO ISI nailed it as far as actual racing environment and that has spoiled a lot of us ..to this day I don't see these details in any of the newer sims , with the exception of AMS that's simply the ISI rf1 gMotor with a lot of enhancements+ a tweeked reelfeel with a nice FFB feel ....., it is a great piece of work Rizza has done but for me when I drive it it seems more like rf1.5 lol ..

As far as MP goes rf2 public lobby's are a ghost town , although slightly better than AMS lol This might all change when S397 releases the new UI ...however the league presents in rf2 is very strong ! if you like rf2 and want to drive it join a league .. its one of the only sim's that has all the real racing features , one example would be you can have live Stewarts monitoring the races and handing out penalty's of all kinds .. just scratching the surface of rf2's endless feature's, these are the kind of things that make it great for league racing ..

One thing I see is a lot of players complaining about running rf2 .. I guess Im just lucky I have no issues with it .I play it in DX11 in 4k on a 50" 4k monitor with a single Nvid 1080..no input lag no stutter , no alt tab issues ..clean & crisp !
View attachment 204597
Allot of the probs players complain about seem to be with older systems ,but not all .. like any software it will preform differently on one players system than another's .. that's the mystery of software I guess .. then thay complain about the vmod's and online racing .. wow for me its great don't have the content but want to race ? rf2 will download and install it from the lobby ..Its up to the host to set this up but it works perfectly if the admin has set it up properly .. the number of people complaining are out numbered by the number of players that have it working fine ..it's up to the admin .. for us in our league its a welcome feature !

Right now it seems, if you want public open racing with more than 5 drivers AC is the best choice .. If you can find a server with MR on it the public drivers seem to behave a little better , If you search the servers by clients you will always find something with 15-24 drivers on it ..and sometimes it NOT NORDS ! lol .. but go figure ,the AC community out numbers the rf2 community by about 3 million ! hah not bad for a game without a lot of real racing features !

Anyway I very happy with rf2 and it's nice to see S397 keeping it alive and moving it forward !:) right now my racing is split pretty much 50/50 with rf2/AC raced AMS for about a month but just don't feel like driving it anymore .. and pCars .. well ya its cool but .. pCars 2 ?? we shall see ! it could be it ! hah.. The perfect sim IMO would be a mix of the 3 with the ISI based features :geek: ! dreamer .... :p
Certainly saved me replying +1 on all counts

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back