Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Cheers guys for the comments.

Life is about compromise some times and this works great for us both at home. When i am not racing the wife does not have to look at a rather unattractive, to her at least, sim rig in the corner of the front room and i can be up and racing in well under a minute when i when want my racing fix.

Its the best solution i could come up with while i wait for the daughter to move out and her room becomes free !

Jason.

Cheers guys for the comments.

Life is about compromise some times and this works great for us both at home. When i am not racing the wife does not have to look at a rather unattractive, to her at least, sim rig in the corner of the front room and i can be up and racing in well under a minute when i when want my racing fix.

Its the best solution i could come up with while i wait for the daughter to move out and her room becomes free !

Jason.
I'm taking a different approach, trying to get the girlfriend into it!

download-1.jpg

Yeah I was dead set on the GT1 but they went out of stock about an hour before I could get to my PC to buy. Not making them anymore either! So P1 it was. I think ill leave the feet off as it seems it would spread the load better for an upstairs bedroom.

I've got mine setup on a rug that is then on a hardwood floor so still very easy to move around, both on the rug and the rug across the floor.

I must of got one of the last GT1's then as they went out of stock but i emailed them and was still able to place an order.

Hello Guys,

i also know the problem of missing space... Thirteen years ago I have build a desk and used an old armchair to use the last free piece of space in the attic with an uneven floor. The armchair was soon removed by a real car seat from my Lancia and is still in use. Last year i got a very good leather seat from an alfa romeo 156. The idea was to build a rig which can be used for watching tv and put one´s feet up. and good also for the result...sleeping, and the kids with her PS4 and of course sim racing. Very variable, for small and tall persons and of course also for left and righthander cars. And then something which reminds on alfa romeo should be found in the styling and at least i wanted to know how it feels using a bassshaker. That was all.

The result was a long time with thinking about construction and a lot of wood for the stove (i haven´t...but my neighbour was enthuastically ).

At least everything was realized and it feels very cool...especially the bassshaker. Now i have two problems: I cannot use it because there is still no space for it in my house and four weeks ago an absolutely unused seat from an alfa romeo 147 found it´s way to me. Now all my leisure time is necessary for building the v2. Now with three bassshakers under the seat. And the seat is mounted directly on vibration dampers. So the shakers don´t have to vibrate the complete rig. One additional skaker is for the steering/pedal unit. And i hope the weight of the complete construction isn´t 2 tons, one is enough. And the design shall not be like it´s made for captain kirk, it will be completely different. But for racing i´m not going to have time… Do you know that a woodworking router has more rpm than a formula 1 engine? Fascinating!

Attachments

• DSC00753x.jpg
    DSC00753x.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 428
  • WP_20180728_16_48_08_Prox.jpg
    WP_20180728_16_48_08_Prox.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 450
  • WP_20180728_14_55_34_Prox.jpg
    WP_20180728_14_55_34_Prox.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 447
  • WP_20180728_15_26_00_Prox.jpg
    WP_20180728_15_26_00_Prox.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 444
  • WP_20180728_15_03_34_Prox.jpg
    WP_20180728_15_03_34_Prox.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
The Way Back Machine.
Last winter I decided to resurrect my Grand Prix Legends system after being away from sim racing for more than a decade. I say "system" because I have three computers I built specifically running GPL with three monitors. This worked by networking the three computers and the side computers then switching to "live" replay of the driver (center computer) and to the modified cameras for left and right view. This worked for online races too, though you would take up 3 spots on the grid and people would wonder who the heck L. Eft and R. Ight were. :)

Some setups from back in the day.
Logitech wheel and Act Labs rudder pedals. 21" center and 19" side monitors.
cockpit.jpg

Thunderseat had a subwoofer in the base woofing at your bottom....early tactile feed back.
Act Labs force feedback wheel and Act Labs shifter on a home built stand.
ts.jpg

TSW Modified wheel and pedals circa 2001.
tswm2.jpg

Driving instructor.
Kol_Zand.jpg

Getting things up and running down in the basement January 2018
Windows 98SE computers that haven't been booted up in ten plus years were a little reluctant but so was my brain on how to get GPL going again.
gpl2018.jpg

Once things were going again and I was coming somewhat up to speed on driving GPL I purchased a cockpit from RaceRoom and built a stand for the computers and monitors.
gpl2018_stnd.jpg

gpl2018_stnd2.jpg

KO

Last edited:
The Way Back Machine.
Last winter I decided to resurrect my Grand Prix Legends system after being away from sim racing for more than a decade. I say "system" because I have three computers I built specifically running GPL with three monitors. This worked by networking the three computers and the side computers then switching to "live" replay of the driver (center computer) and to the modified cameras for left and right view. This worked for online races too, though you would take up 3 spots on the grid and people would wonder who the heck L. Eft and R. Ight were. :)

Thunderseat had a subwoofer in the base woofing at your bottom....early tactile feed back.

TSW Modified wheel and pedals circa 2002.

Driving instructor.

Windows 98SE computers that haven't been booted up in ten plus years were a little reluctant but so was my brain on how to get GPL going again.

Once things were going again and I was coming somewhat up to speed on driving GPL I purchased a cockpit from RaceRoom and built a stand for the computers and monitors.

KO
Now that is the coolest thing I've seen this month. Have a beer :)

The Way Back Machine.

TSW Modified wheel and pedals circa 2002.

Driving instructor.

KO

This brings nice memories :)

Bought two more monitors today so I can now have triples and VR. Waiting on cables to arrive before I can use them though.
31094428387_127021f97a_k.jpg
Awesome looking rig there!

Any chance any of you guys with aluminium profile rigs could advise on the length of the main side panels of the frame and the widths of the inside support parts?

Living out here in Malaysia there are very limited options for obtaining a pre-built unit unless you have tons of money lying around, which I don't... So I'm trying to obtain pre cut profile to start my own build

TIA

Wish I had the room you’ve got but I have to make do with a small bedroom with only just enough room to get a rig in. I have to move it also so I have it on caster wheels otherwise I’d never have it.

Still not really finished, waiting on 2 120cm profiles to replace the base 140cm ones, one was dented in a couple of places and I’m supposed to be getting a replacement for that and I’m buying another one so I can shorten the rig, as you can see from the pics I’m strapped for room so every little helps and there no need for the Sim Labs P1 to be as long as it is for all but the tallest people.

Also forgot to mention I’ve modified the rig, got two 40x80 profile pieces to replace the 40x40 to raise the seat above the pedals and a 50cm 40x40 to help lower the pedals as they are a bit high by default. Then the whole rig has been raised by four extra profile pieces with the caster wheels attached as I have to use the TV attached to, well everything including my PC which is wall mounted above a desk on a arm so can be swivelled to face the rig, wish I could get closer but this is the best I can do for now. This is my first rig, just happy to have one finally.

So that's the Sim Labs front mount inverted? Does it accept a Clubsport wheel base as standard that way without drilling holes? If so wish Id known that! Also, why you don't front mount the wheelbase?

Great improvisation!

I've got mine setup on a rug that is then on a hardwood floor so still very easy to move around, both on the rug and the rug across the floor.

I must of got one of the last GT1's then as they went out of stock but i emailed them and was still able to place an order.

I emailed them as well but got no response!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.