Show us your Rig / Cockpit

while also separating the tv stand from the wheel/pedal/chair contraption.

That separation does wonders for eliminating monitor wobbles, but I've found that the seat gradually slides out of alignment with the screen (center screen in my case) due to the seat moving ever so slightly as I get in/out of the rig.

Haven't yet found a solution, though maybe some spacers with a fairly stiff springy material to absorb vibrations would work... it hasn't annoyed me enough to experiment after a year, but I'm gradually getting to that point!

Here's my red and black cockpit. Full photo set here.
gFCDaBD.jpg

Rig/Mount:
  • 4 Play Racing rig. Black anodized "wide" version. Highly modified with keyboard stand and plate brackets. Plates and brackets painted red.

• Seat from a 2003 Suzuki. I'm much more comfortable in a real car seat as opposed to a proper racing seat.

• Sheepskin seat cover! So plush and comfy! Regulates body temp well. I don't end a race all clammy anymore!

• Strip of USB powered LED lighting under pedal deck. Less than $10 on Amazon. Nice to illuminate bottom of rig with indirect light in the dark.
Sim Racing Hardware:
  • Fanatec CSL Elite Wheelbase (Fanatec DD1 on preorder!)

• Fanatec BMW GT2 Rim (not pictured)

• Fanatec Formula Rim (currently installed in this set of photos). Racing more with this lately because the button layout is much easier to access without seeing it (in VR).

• Heusinkveld Pro Pedals 3-set with baseplate. Pedals painted red.

• Fanatec ClubSport 1.5 Shifter with aftermarket weighted shifter knob

• Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake

• Realteus Forcefeel o8 seat pad (awaiting arrival)

• SRS ShakeKit

• SRS Power Wind single fan

• BBJ 18-button USB button box (muscle memory and feel makes it easy to hit the right button when racing in VR)
PC (not pictured but on the desk to the right of the rig):
  • I7-6700K CPU

• MSI GTX 1080 Ti GPU

• Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 motherboard

• Acer XR382CQK 3840x1600 75hz 38" ultrawide monitor (unpictured - on desk)

• EVGA 220-P2-1000-XR 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 W

• SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III SSD

• Some other HDDs for storage.

• Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case

• Oculus Rift CV1

• Razer mechanical keyboard on computer desk

• Logitech K400 wireless keyboard/touchpad for rig
Other:
  • KEF Q100 Bookshelf speakers connected to a Sony AVR for PC audio (but sim racing audio goes through Oculus Rift

• SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer

• Cheap USB trackpad mouse mounted to rig

• Cheap USB numberpad mounted to rig for replay controls
Notes:
  • I used to have a monitor on a separate mount behind the wheel, but I was racing in VR 99% of the time, so I got rid of the clutter.

• Cable management done with velcro cable ties. I know I still can improve here. So much easier to work with than plastic zip-ties, especially if you're frequently tinkering and changing things up like I am.

• I'm happy to answer any questions or offer any advice from my experience building this rig over almost a year.

How do you like that 4 Play rig? Here in the states they appear to be a more economical option and I've been considering one myself. Was it easy to mount the pedals and wheelbase? How durable is the black finish? It looks fantastic!

Last edited:
How do you like that 4 Play rig? Here in the states they appear to be a more economical option and I've been considering one myself. Was it easy to mount the pedals and wheelbase? How durable is the black finish? It looks fantastic!

I've been extremely happy with my 4 Play rig. You'd really need to scrape the finish hard to get a scratch. After 5 months of nearly daily use, the only scratches are barely visible.

This was easier than I expected...

Indicator.jpg

£25 for a glamarous Renault Traffic/Vauxhall Vivaro indicator/light stalk from ebay (new, but third party rather than genuine part), and a Leo Bodnar BU0836A that I had knocking around. The latter are also £25 but there are cheaper ways to do it although they might not be as plug and play.

Took me a good while with a multimeter to figure out the connections but I got there in the end. Was quite pleased with myself for managing to solder a common ground rather than one for each switch.

I think the only thing that will really annoy me is that sims don't generally support on/off switches for lights etc, they tend to be toggles. Using something like joy2key may help with that, but I suspect the state between the switch and the game will easily get mixed up.

Just need to figure out how to mount it properly now, then I might have a look for a wiper stalk to compliment it.

That's a really nice setup ^^. Very similar to what I am working towards.

2ce3zn8.jpg

3 x 27 inch monitors on the way and Sparco Rev seat bought today. Just need base, BMW GT2 rim, shifter and handbrake now!!!

Dave do you recommend putting the feet on even though we are on carpet?

Here are some pictures of my man cupboard built into a heavily bashed about area under the stairs.

The rig slides away into a space of 90cm wide by 130cm deep.

I use VR now so dont need to worry about how it looks or cramming lots of screens in there, although an early pre VR version of my setup did include three 19" monitors squeezed in there !

Jason.

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

2ce3zn8.jpg

3 x 27 inch monitors on the way and Sparco Rev seat bought today. Just need base, BMW GT2 rim, shifter and handbrake now!!!

I put the feet on mine but didn't really think about it beforehand. Seems most folks put them on so I did the same. It would be nigh impossible to take them off to try now, lol.

Nice setup! I almost went with the P1 but the GT1 is working well enough for my needs. I need to get a keyboard tray too.

2ce3zn8.jpg

Check out simworx shifters they are nice i bought one a few weeks ago loving every second, also checkout jinx shifters they do a v8 shifters and arb shifers i just ordered an arb shifer at a very decent price. Cant give you an honest opinion on the jinx one yet as i haven't got it.

I put the feet on mine but didn't really think about it beforehand. Seems most folks put them on so I did the same. It would be nigh impossible to take them off to try now, lol.

Nice setup! I almost went with the P1 but the GT1 is working well enough for my needs. I need to get a keyboard tray too.

Yeah I was dead set on the GT1 but they went out of stock about an hour before I could get to my PC to buy. Not making them anymore either! So P1 it was. I think ill leave the feet off as it seems it would spread the load better for an upstairs bedroom.

Here are some pictures of my man cupboard built into a heavily bashed about area under the stairs.

The rig slides away into a space of 90cm wide by 130cm deep.

I use VR now so dont need to worry about how it looks or cramming lots of screens in there, although an early pre VR version of my setup did include three 19" monitors squeezed in there !

Jason.

View attachment 279378
View attachment 279379
View attachment 279380
View attachment 279381

Unbelievable. A DD setup and still a happy partner possible!

This was easier than I expected...

Indicator.jpg

£25 for a glamarous Renault Traffic/Vauxhall Vivaro indicator/light stalk from ebay (new, but third party rather than genuine part), and a Leo Bodnar BU0836A that I had knocking around. The latter are also £25 but there are cheaper ways to do it although they might not be as plug and play.

Took me a good while with a multimeter to figure out the connections but I got there in the end. Was quite pleased with myself for managing to solder a common ground rather than one for each switch.

I think the only thing that will really annoy me is that sims don't generally support on/off switches for lights etc, they tend to be toggles. Using something like joy2key may help with that, but I suspect the state between the switch and the game will easily get mixed up.

Just need to figure out how to mount it properly now, then I might have a look for a wiper stalk to compliment it.
This is brilliant! I've wondered for a few years why no FFB wheel manufacturers have control stalk optional add-ons for when using road cars, but I guess the perception is that most simmers mainly use race cars. I've been thinking of trying something like this myself ever since Ilja's shader patch added rain, wipers, night driving and proper headlights to Assetto Corsa. Well done, looks like you've nailed it! I bet something as simple as flashing your headlights with a control stalk feels awesome in-game.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.