Show us your Model Cars Collection!

1/24 Ferrari diecasts (part of the collection) :)
28337534_1928838420468851_5758723700046396936_o.jpg
33783338_2030936946925664_7060538351832530944_o.jpg
27992923_1909721322380561_2091765209508874176_o.jpg

In the process of collecting every F1 car in 1:43 scale that has ever had a Renault F1 engine in the back. I have made good headway in the last few years and currently have around 23 left to add. Some of them never appear to have had a model like the Tyrell 015 so will have to wait and see if one ever materialises.

Just added a Lotus 95T with tobacco livery which is very nicely done.

All because I vividly remember the Lotus 98T being driven by Senna with flames shooting out the back when I was a kid and wondering what could make a car do that. I have been a Renault fan ever since.

I also have various Renault models of different sizes mainly 5 turbo's and a fair few other models but I am focused mainly on those last 23 for the time being.

XRiqr7M.jpg

MFTSZhr.jpg

ZvTUEoh.jpg

lYcOyHl.jpg

sH0DAq4.jpg

1tKczvk.jpg

iPv955t.jpg
Wow this Renault collection is really impressive ..

These two Porsche models (996 Turbo and Carrera GT) mean the world to me, there's a story to them.

I've been a Porsche fan ever since I was a little kid. I always used to draw Porsches. I loved them so much that one day, when I was 6 or 7 years old, I sent a letter to Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking, then-CEO of Porsche, along with some Porsche drawings. And he liked them! He personally replied to me, thanking me for the letter and drawings. With the 996 Turbo as a thank you gift.
I sent him another letter with another drawing (or maybe even a few drawings) when I was in third grade, and he replied again - that's the story behind the Carrera GT.
I still love Porsche, and I hope to one day own a full-sized one.

fc2vr2q.jpg

Those who have been visiting No-Grip in the past, might seen my crappy mobile phone photos of some of my collection.
I don't have photos of my glass shelves at the moment, but I've done photoshoots of few cars, and will certainly do some more soon. So if you don't mind I'll be hacking this thread with some photos and stories from time to time.

Diecasts are very important thing in my life, it goes back to my childhood, and it remains my hobby nowadays. Probably I value them as much as I value cars I've driven, if not even more. When I was kid I was building some paper models of cars in approx 1/32 scale by photos, but always wanted to start collecting 1/18s. Later on I had an idea to build 1/25 kits, but this is not my scale, sadly. There's something kinesthetic when you took the 1/18 Exoto chaparral or cobra, and open the hood, see all the engine components, or tear apart the body panels and see all the guts - frame, suspeinsion, engine, lots of wiring etc.

I've got enough building in my life, so I decided I'm fine with just collecting. I'm collecting mostly old American muscles and race cars, but some other old GT and Prototypes too. Got sweet spot for Corvettes and Cobras, so there are few Exoto cobras, and various street and racing C2-C3 Corvettes from Autoart, Exoto, Carousel1 etc.
But huh, nowadays I sometimes buy broken models and do some restoration, and I have few rebuild projects slowly going on.

It all have started with 2 cars - well, one was a model, one was a real car.
When I was in early school, I saw an very unusual for our area car parked nearby - very different from european hatches you could see usually - it was big, but seemed small somehow, sharp-angle, but not like 80's Kadett. It was black with golden stripe in the bottom of bumpers and doors, with weirdly looking headlights glancing from inside of the body, and no emblems apart from 3-color badge I didn't see before. Yes it was a 3rd gen Camaro. A car that doesn't get much love and probably doesn't deserve much, but for me it was the starting point when I became really into cars.

The only 1/18 model of that is sadly very toy-alike, from SunStar, with completely wrong proportions. But it was one of my very first diecast when I decided to start this hobby. They've reissued the '82 model later on, and then attempted to turn it into Iroc-Z, but it's a joke, not only the shape of front, roof and taillights wasn't fixed, but also the Iroc-Z nose and ground effects are the same as the '82 model.
So after waiting for about 7 years for better model to show up from another manufacturer I finally decided to take my SunStar model, tear it apart and make a completely new nose, trunk, taillights from scratch, and attempt to fix the roof line. My idea to bring it to the look of late 3rd gen Z28, 1991-1992.
So this is the build that's going very slowly nowadays, for now I'll show a photo of the model in its original state. Maybe someday later this year I'll show some progress pictures and finished result.
DSC02904.jpg

Here's 2nd car: Again, when I was a kid, there was a diecast store few streets from where I lived, and I was going there by myself like into museum. And among other models I saw 1/43 of Corvette Stingray XP-87 prototype. After that I've read all books about racing history, Corvettes and Cobras I could find.

Here's AutoArt model of that, and no, it's not dirt on the windows - it's moisture. Was taken early morning.
Someday I'll do better photoshoot.
DSC02844.jpg

I hope to do more photoshoots like these, but now looking at ways of doing them not only outside, probably will build some lightbox.
To finish things off for now, well, here's Barracuda.
DSC03037.jpg

Last edited:
Sort of not in the theme here. But what brands should I look for when buying models?
The answer to your question depends heavily on the type of car and scale you are interested in. I can only give you my opinion on rally cars in 1/43 and 1/18. Having owned about 100 models from various brands I would rate them like this:

From best to worst:
HPI Racing (1/43)
AUTOart (1/43 and 1/18)
Trofeu (1/43)
IXO (1/43)
Corgi (1/43)
Kyosho (1/18)
Ottomobile (1/18)
Minichamps (1/43)
Top Marques (1/18)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?