Share your VR graphic settings

Here are my engine.ini and view settings. (@MaxH_SimRacing )

These give perfectly smooth constant reprojection for me with no dropouts. (Apart from the nvidia driver bug) There are a few tweaks to Andrew_WOTs files but also a few added lines:

vr.RoundRobinOcclusion=0
vr.InstancedStereo=1

Instanced stereo should be a bit faster but is incompatible with round robin occlusion

r.HZBOcclusion=2

Forcing HZB as it is less GPU and CPU intensive (1 doesn't force it, just suggests)

r.TemporalAA.Upsampling=0

Upsampling doesn't seem to be working at all for me in VR or on screen so I just disable for now

r.AOquality=1

I like AO under the cars so they aren't floating when everything is in shadow

r.Upscale.Quality=2

Fast bilinear upscale

r.MipMapLODBias=-0.4

Makes textures a bit sharper for the G2

r.AmbientOcclusionMipLevelFactor=1

Make AO a bit blurrier for performance and we don't need sharp AO

r.AllowHDR=0

Don't want it in VR

RHI.MaximumFrameLatency=2

Allow 2 frames to be queued, helps with stuttering and variation in fps with reprojection

r.OneFrameThreadLag=1

Same as above

r.FinishCurrentFrame=0

Allows frames to be buffered instead of forcing to be displayed and render thread waiting till it has

r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=False

If true increases CPU usage.

From MaximumFrameLatency onwards are settings to improve fps stability for reprojection and minimise CPU usage as my 3900x still can't keep up it certain situations. Need a 5900x!

Attachments

• Engine.ini
    2 KB · Views: 175
  • 3090 Reprojection.json
    982 bytes · Views: 140
  • Deleted member 197115

r.TemporalAA.Upsampling=0

Upsampling doesn't seem to be working at all for me in VR or on screen so I just disable for now
Temporal Upsampling is what makes lower resolution scale shine with higher pixel density.
If you have resolution scale at 100% it only adds some blur. You can control it via in game graphics settings Temporal Upsampling, of course engine.ini will take precedence.

Temporal Upsampling is what makes lower resolution scale shine with higher pixel density.
If you have resolution scale at 100% it only adds some blur. You can control it via in game graphics settings Temporal Upsampling, of course engine.ini will take precedence.

Yeah I know, it isn't working for me. Even if I put res down to 50% it makes no difference turning it on and off. I tried resetting the engine.ini back to default and it still didn't work.

• Deleted member 197115

That's weird, the difference was quite dramatic when I was playing with it before. Need to double check, may be some recent NVidia driver broke it, but I don't see it being blurrier which should be the case if it's not working.
It doesn't matter for you anyway as seems like you are using 100% resolution scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer to run lower res with upsampling at 90hz native than with reprojection. Problem with all the fixes I've got is that latency adds up and the lag on wheel turning is noticeable. Doesn't seem to make much difference to lap times though.

• Deleted member 197115

Well, I've just tested Temporal Upsampling on/off and it's just blurry mess with it disabled. I am on Resolution Scale 70%, Pixel Density 160%.

I must have had a setting messed up in another file somewhere. I did a full reinstall of ACC and upsampling is working again now. I still can't get a decent 90fps everywhere due to cpu issues, so will have to carry on with reprojection. But the clarity is stunning when you can push the limits on a 3090 at 45fps!

So I have a question, I'm currently running my new Reverb G2 on a 5700XT, since it will take a while for my 3080 to arrive. It's not the best card in the world, especially since ACC seems to perform worse on AMD cards than on similar Nvidia cards... I've tested a lot of things in the past few days and am struggling to find something that is smooth, aswell as looks okay.

I tried adjusting to 60hz but I can't, the flickering gives me a headache. However what I noticed, is that with similar settings, 60hz is WAY sharper than 90hz. Like, I'm not talking about frames, I'm talking about just sharpness and resolution wise. If I use settings based on Andrew_WOT's settings (the same but pixel density turned way down to 100%, distance to high and shadows to medium), on 90hz it's pretty blurry (obviously) and the amount of shimmers and glimmering objects (fences and stuff) is insane.

Then I change nothing but 90hz to 60hz in wmr settings and all of a sudden everything is sharp, AND it runs way smoother. Now the smoother running is because of 60hz, but how the hell can it get sharper without changing anything?

I'm just sad my 5700XT won't even allow for the above settings, 50% resolution in steam (so native), 70% in-game and 100% pixel density. Meanwhile it almost looks worse than my Rift S which pulled steady frames on those settings. I'm not sure what to do, other than to look for other sims until my 3080 arrives.

Anyone who can help me figure this out? I can't imagine it should be this bad...

Last edited:
I'm just sad my 5700XT won't even allow for the above settings, 50% resolution in steam (so native), 70% in-game and 100% pixel density. Meanwhile it almost looks worse than my Rift S which pulled steady frames on those settings. I'm not sure what to do, other than to look for other sims until my 3080 arrives.

Anyone who can help me figure this out? I can't imagine it should be this bad...

50% in steam is the native resolution of you panels.. BUT, the image needs to be tranformed for your lenses, kind of wrapped around it. So the higher you go in Steam resolution, the better the image quality will be and your sweet spot will be bigger as well since the image quality is better.

• Deleted member 197115

So I have a question, I'm currently running my new Reverb G2 on a 5700XT, since it will take a while for my 3080 to arrive. It's not the best card in the world, especially since ACC seems to perform worse on AMD cards than on similar Nvidia cards... I've tested a lot of things in the past few days and am struggling to find something that is smooth, aswell as looks okay.

I tried adjusting to 60hz but I can't, the flickering gives me a headache. However what I noticed, is that with similar settings, 60hz is WAY sharper than 90hz. Like, I'm not talking about frames, I'm talking about just sharpness and resolution wise. If I use settings based on Andrew_WOT's settings (the same but pixel density turned way down to 100%, distance to high and shadows to medium), on 90hz it's pretty blurry (obviously) and the amount of shimmers and glimmering objects (fences and stuff) is insane.

Then I change nothing but 90hz to 60hz in wmr settings and all of a sudden everything is sharp, AND it runs way smoother. Now the smoother running is because of 60hz, but how the hell can it get sharper without changing anything?

You need to add some pixel density or SS to counteract image stretching in the center due to barrel distortion transformation.
Do you have reprojection enabled, that'd explain difference between 60hz/60fps and 90hz that actually runs at 45fps and just extrapolate missing frames.

Thanks for your response, reprojection is disabled. I've tried enabling the steamvr WMR reprojection but that makes everything go insane. The reprojection is really bad imo, it makes every "sharp line" wiggle and jump. Also when on auto it keeps going in and out of projection, either because it has enough frames to not reproject, or has too little frames to reproject (indicated by the green and red square in dev options).

So the difference in sharpness between 90hz and 60hz without changing anything is due to barrel distortion transformation?
The weird thing is that with exactly the same settings, 60hz gives me a clear image, while 90hz is blurry and has shimmering all over, like the resolution is way lower, although I haven't changed anything in that regard. They both run okay with said settings, but 60hz is way sharper and looks like higher resolution. If only I could cope with the flickering.

Anyway, I know higher Steam resolution, or higher pixel density, or higher in-game resolution will make the image quality better, but the point is that my 5700XT isn't able to pull any sort of frames when making it higher. But because of the difference in quality between 60hz and 90hz I'm still not believing it's just my graphics card that sucks.

Anything else I can try? Or is there any way to improve the reprojection or something?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Barrel distortion is always applied regardless of the refresh rate used. It's needed to counteract pincushion lens distortion so your eyes can see undistorted image. Do you actually run 90fps in 90hz mode?
Check WMR Portal settings, may be one of the quality settings is set to Let Windows Decide.
Also check if this applies to your system:
It looks like my left display is stretched, and the right display is off-centered and half black
This can happen when your headset is not running at the native resolution. Due to the nature of the high-resolution displays in the HP Reverb G2 HMD, not all systems will be able to render the native resolution. There is a fix coming in a future Windows Update that will address the rendering issue when the headset is not at the native resolution.

There are a few reasons why your system is not able to render at the native resolution:

• The DisplayPort on the system might not be 1.3 compatible, or it might not support all 4 lanes.
  • If you are using an adapter, it might not support be HBR3 compatible, or it might not support all 4 lanes.
  • If your system has a hybrid GPU, that might be limiting the bandwidth available to the DisplayPort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, that's one mystery solved. When I put the headset on 60hz instead of 90hz, even though SteamVR is not set on auto, it still changes the resolution. I've put it at the "line" for 50% (since that's native G2 res), but apparently when on 60hz steamvr changes the line to around 76% to say that's native or whatever. It goes from 50% to something around 76% which obviously makes a big difference in resolution.

So that explains the better resolution on 60hz, and it's nice that it actually works on 60hz, but I can't stand the flickering. That 76% res in steamvr on 90hz is a real no no, it's like I'm watchinga slow stopmotion or something, it doesn't work at all. I'm not pulling 90fps on 90hz since I have to lower the resolution so much to be able to run 90 fps, that it's like looking at a water painting.

None of the WMR portal settings are on "let windows decide", except for the WMR menu thing, which I've also changed and did not make a difference (Who would've guessed huh, haha).

Guess there's nothing left but to wait on my 3080.. AC is running great, but ACC just seems too unoptimized especially when working with an AMD card. I've tried tweaking pretty much everything:

Lower than native steamVR res with 70% res and higher pixeldensity in game - nope
Higher than native steamvr res, 70% res and lower pixeldensity in game - nope
Both of the above with 100% res and default pixeldensity in game - nope
All of the above with and without WMR reprojection - runs great but the reprojection is pretty damn bad and it makes every sharp line wiggle and go crazy.
All of the above with and without steamvr forced motion smoothing
All of the above with and without steamvr classic reprojection mode

I'm all out of ideas, and I'll just go cry in a corner waiting for my 3080 to arrive. :)

Last edited:
Alright, that's one mystery solved. When I put the headset on 60hz instead of 90hz, even though SteamVR is not set on auto, it still changes the resolution. I've put it at the "line" for 50% (since that's native G2 res), but apparently when on 60hz steamvr changes the line to around 76% to say that's native or whatever. It goes from 50% to something around 76% which obviously makes a big difference in resolution.

So that explains the better resolution on 60hz, and it's nice that it actually works on 60hz, but I can't stand the flickering. That 76% res in steamvr on 90hz is a real no no, it's like I'm watchinga slow stopmotion or something, it doesn't work at all. I'm not pulling 90fps on 90hz since I have to lower the resolution so much to be able to run 90 fps, that it's like looking at a water painting.

None of the WMR portal settings are on "let windows decide", except for the WMR menu thing, which I've also changed and did not make a difference (Who would've guessed huh, haha).

Guess there's nothing left but to wait on my 3080.. AC is running great, but ACC just seems too unoptimized especially when working with an AMD card. I've tried tweaking pretty much everything:

Lower than native steamVR res with 70% res and higher pixeldensity in game - nope
Higher than native steamvr res, 70% res and lower pixeldensity in game - nope
Both of the above with 100% res and default pixeldensity in game - nope
All of the above with and without WMR reprojection - runs great but the reprojection is pretty damn bad and it makes every sharp line wiggle and go crazy.
All of the above with and without steamvr forced motion smoothing
All of the above with and without steamvr classic reprojection mode

I'm all out of ideas, and I'll just go cry in a corner waiting for my 3080 to arrive. :)

I feel your pain as I am in the same boat having just brought a 5700xt to replace an ageing 1080gtx while the new graphics cards become more available and come down in price. What ever setting I try I can’t get it to run to a satisfactory level through my Oculus Quest 2. After an hours messing last night it was looking pretty good only for it to look worse again tonight having not changed anything. Very frustrating, I’m now thinking off putting the 1080 back in and selling the 5400 on.

Last edited:
I feel your pain as I am in the same boat having just brought a 5700xt to replace an ageing 1080gtx while the new graphics cards become more available and come down in price. What ever setting I try I can’t get it to run to a satisfactory level through my Oculus Quest 2. After an hours messing last night it was looking pretty good only for it to look worse again tonight having not changed anything. Very frustrating, I’m now thinking off putting the 1080 back in and selling the 5400 on.

Did the Quest 2 work on the 1080? just got the Quest 2, and cant quite get ACC to look good (running 3080)

Guys, I'll say it one more time. You don't need a 3080 / 6800XT to run ACC in VR with a good image. The main key, is that you can either run 60hz to free up a lot of resources for additional pixel density or use motion smoothing with 90hz and have the settings low enough that they do not compromise the image. The image is indeed compromised in ACC when you get frame drops, very very high GPU usage / high frame times. It blurs the image when that happens, even more than normal. The good thing, is even if you cannot stand the 60hz mode, it cost similar resources to use the 90hz with motion smoothing. So just pick one and you should be good to go. For the life of me I cannot understand what this flickering talk is all about, I cannot see that anywhere and I've been running ACC in 60hz ever since I was graced with the Reverb G1.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 130 86.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 25 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 45 29.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 52 34.4%