SFX-100 + Next Level V3 Owners Thread

Hello friends! It's me again back with another helpful and entertaining RD thread! This time focusing on combining motion's new kid on the block, the SFX-100 AC Servo full chassis motion solution with our current favourite seat mover, the Next Level Racing V3 Motion Platform. We already have extensive threads for either of these amazing pieces of sim racing hardware, you can read more about them both in the links below:

- SFX-100 / SimFeedback-AC DIY

- Next Level Racing V3 Motion Platform

This thread will focus on the owners or potential owners looking to combine these solutions for their sim racing motion experience. Looking forward to seeing everyone's input on getting the most out of this setup. Feel free to leave suggestion, questions, settings and profiles and anything in between. The other threads are huge now and have a lot of discussion, let's get this one up there, too!

You owe it to yourself to try it, even for weeks on end, combined with the V3. You have to, you already own it. Eventually you will feel that it adds enough to the experience to keep it or a) you don't feel the investment is worth it for one effect, or b) you feel that the V3 actually detracts from the SFX-100 experience. You'll probably only know after weeks of trying one, and then going back to the other way and trying it again fresh. You can switch between just having the V3 on or off but it doesn't really give the entire big picture for a number of reasons. Firstly is the wobble, or not even wobble but the fact that the seat is mounted on a pivot point rather than static rails. Second is the height or lack there of that you can achieve with the seat. Pushing this lower enhances the feeling with a lower COG to the actuators. Those are probably the main things.

I had to replace the bolts in my brackets so I bit the bullet and detached the seat from the platform and spend around an hour to mount it back onto the GT1 with the provided rails and angle brackets. It wasn't enough for me to turn it off, I had to try it the way it was going to be should I had decided to sell the V3. The second I jumped into the seat, it felt so much stronger and sturdier than with the V3 on. I knew then that the feedback from the actuators would be in full effect.

So a few things to note having just run a few V8 races with only actuators and no V3 at all. I feel like this type of motion allows you to drive hard, drive confidently and make use of the information available while still being in control and never feeling like the motion is 'getting in the way'. No matter how much I tuned the V3 I still needed a long time to adjust to the moving seat and with brake pitch and surge, coupled with minor adjustments in steering left or right, the seat always felt a bit on edge and produced movements that you wouldn't really feel in a car. Because the motion is coming from the actual seat, little adjustments moved you around a bit too much. Now, my arms are always at the same distance to the wheel, my feet are always at the same distance to the pedals, my hands find my shifter no matter what's happening in the cockpit. Brake pitch is nice and when I add the tensioner I think we are going to get another level of immersion that doesn't impact on the position of your body to the important instruments. With it adding a level of lateral G force as well, it will complement my new found Sway effect, which I have the chassis leaning into the corner rather than the other way around and portraying G load on the body. It feels SO right in the full motion and I know in VR at least, it's super immersive. Because it's a relatively subtle effect compared to how hard you can be thrown in the V3, it mimics the real car's movement into a turn, better than the effect you can produce by trying to achieve a G load feeling. It suits the actuators much more in my opinion. So that person in the SFX-100 thread that had the Sway going the 'inverted direction', as we all reported it, was actually correct! To me, anyway.

Overall, I feel like I get more out of the system with the actuators allowed to do their thing uninhibited. I feel like it has the potential to make me more consistent that the V3 could have, with more subtle motion cues rather than some harsh, abrupt feedback you sometimes experience in the seat mover. The nice thing is the actuators are very fast and super strong, so we still get lots of great feedback (as Henk's profiles have shown us) without things feeling slow, sluggish and out of sync with what we are seeing, which can happen with some heavy full motion chassis solutions.

Upvote 0
Hoping to get it finished this weekend mate, and I'll definitely be initially trying with with the V3.

And.... i'm pretty sure eventually you will be trying it without the V3 to. ;)

It's pretty hard to comprehend that something you have always loved now has become redundant, but.... that's the power of the SFX100.

Upvote 0
I think it's standalone, from another servo motor, perhaps powered by SimTools? I personally wouldn't want this version either. Of course I haven't tried it but this one again moves your body closer / further away from the controls. Unless the entire things is moving? Wheel, pedals AND seat on it's own axis? I ddn't get that from when I watched it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if it's moving your feet closer to the pedals on braking, that's worse than the way a seat mover does it. I mean the idea is cool but I don't think it's overall good for racing. I haven't tried it however so I am completely open to the idea.

Upvote 0
What about losing VR Headway (VR motion compensation) w/ the NLRv3? Anyone missing it now?

Are there effects you purposely stay away from on the SFX100 because of the missing VR Headway?

Upvote 0
One of the things I'm contemplating over trying to decide whether or not to move to SFX100 is rig size and portability. My rig is somewhat unique in that it is completely portable (drop down wheels) and is just narrow enough to get through a typical inner doorway. I currently run my rig in the living room and move it out when needed. Now with the SFX100 it looks like there is no possible way to make it that thin with the large actuators mounted to the outside which means it will have to stay in the room. Not sure that is going to fly.

In addition since the rig needs to be light and nimble I will need to take all the controllers and power supplies off the rig (DD, GS5, BK amps, etc.) as well as the new actuator controllers and PSU's and put them somewhere. What are you guys doing to manage this "off rig" gear and the mess of wiring that must result?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Clearly I've orderd the bucket so I don't really intend on getting one anytime soon. I have concerns with the comfort and fit for me. I know the GS-5 is much improved but the GS-4 looked like something you'd sit in in a prison cell. It looked SO uncomfortable.

I also now have the 'guilt free' funds of getting a seat harness tensioner. I think without the V3, this will be a welcome addition. I am waiting for Hugo's impressions but I might just get one straight away in case they go on massive back order again. I've freed up a power socket and a USB so this can just replace those ones.

Yeah I'm really wrestling with the time I've put in my rig over the last year and a half and then the SFX100 happens and suddenly obviates 80% of the effort. I'm excited but depressed at the same time.. haha.

The GS-5 is perfectly comfortable to me. It's got a really nice bucket with adequate padding built into the cover. They upgraded the seat and cover to a very nice Kirkey model. GS-5 is a beast with a complete redesign using stepper motors for the paddle movement. Very impressive.

What harness tensioner are you looking at?

Upvote 0
I've read the GS-5 is a massive upgrade over GS-4 which is great. I think I just get night terrors thinking of doing a race in that old GS-4 electric chair. It's awful to look at and probably twice as uncomfortable. The Gs-5 looks MUCH improved in this area. You are lucky to own one.

There's a dude over on the xsimulator forums that has built his own and is selling them. He's just recently upgraded the units to higher power motors which are stronger and quieter. I think I am going to combine this with my kit now. I've PM'd him an ETA request and we'll see how we go. Gonna set me back around 800-900 AUD but with the V3 sale I think getting something to help fill the small void left in the SFX-100 is the way to go. By the time I get that and the new bucket seat, I'll be slightly ahead in coin and probably a lot better off overall.

Upvote 0
I've read the GS-5 is a massive upgrade over GS-4 which is great. I think I just get night terrors thinking of doing a race in that old GS-4 electric chair. It's awful to look at and probably twice as uncomfortable. The Gs-5 looks MUCH improved in this area. You are lucky to own one.

There's a dude over on the xsimulator forums that has built his own and is selling them. He's just recently upgraded the units to higher power motors which are stronger and quieter. I think I am going to combine this with my kit now. I've PM'd him an ETA request and we'll see how we go. Gonna set me back around 800-900 AUD but with the V3 sale I think getting something to help fill the small void left in the SFX-100 is the way to go. By the time I get that and the new bucket seat, I'll be slightly ahead in coin and probably a lot better off overall.
Ooh, interesting. Loook forward to hearing how you get on @anton_Chez .

Upvote 0

@anton_Chez Have a link to the DIY Gseat your looking at?

Upvote 0

Can't argue about the looks, that a matter of personal taste, but i strongly disagree about the comfort. I can assure you , if you do a race my GS-4, all you will do at night is dreaming of having one yourself. ;)

In the weekends sometimes i sit 4-5 hours straight without any problems. It's miracle how some extra padding and layer of hard foam can make a difference.

Upvote 0
Can't argue about the looks, that a matter of personal taste, but i strongly disagree about the comfort. I can assure you , if you do a race my GS-4, all you will do at night is dreaming of having one yourself. ;)

In the weekends sometimes i sit 4-5 hours straight without any problems. It's miracle how some extra padding and layer of hard foam can make a difference.
Yes agree with you Henk, I just got a second hand gs-4 and it it’s actually more comfy then my bucket seat probably the width as the bucket seat is a tight fit, agree it looks like the electric chair, but it’s surprised me.

Upvote 0
I can see a surge movement in this video with the SFX100, where does it come from?

I really like this type of surge, I think it has implemented the movement of the seat plus that of the pedals, because implement only the seat would be too tiring for the motors in the moment of braking, given the force that would be exercised on the brake pedal. I'm really in doubt whether to build such a system like this on my rig (since I have few good geared motors around) or simply put the Seat belt tensioner. Because what I miss of a classic 2dof is just its surge.

Another example of this surge system, with i think, scn6:

Upvote 0
This might sound like a very odd decision but I'm seriously thinking of removing my v3 before trying it with the SFX100. With the v3 and seat removed I'll find it a hell of a lot easier raising the chassis and moving it around to fit the SFX pistons, but apart from the logistics and practicalities... I really don't think I can justify having the v3 fitted purely for surge effects, and selling the v3 will more than cover the cost of the SFX100.

The rock-solid, lower seating position also appeal with the v3 removed, as does the reduced mass, lower CoG and much simpler set-up with less to potentially go wrong.

There doesn't seem to be much point trying something that will only be installed for a short time. Plus, I might be better off not knowing what I'm missing.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Forum trophies