Samsung CRG9 / 49" / 32:9 Monitor (5120 x 1440 1000 HDR)

I plan to purchase this particular monitor. Would I be best advised to get a AMD Radeon for FreeSync compatibility vs the nVidia to avoid the issues many have had? Currently using a GTX 1070....

• Deleted member 197115

Just get NVidia, FreeSync works just fine and most FreeSync monitors got certified by NVidia itself.

I plan to purchase this particular monitor. Would I be best advised to get a AMD Radeon for FreeSync compatibility vs the nVidia to avoid the issues many have had? Currently using a GTX 1070....

I think it depends on what sort of minimum framerate you're targeting and for which sims. Do you need minimum 60 fps in the rain & night in AMS? Or do you need minimum 90 fps in Raceroom and don't care about night or weather?

I think it depends on what sort of minimum framerate you're targeting and for which sims. Do you need minimum 60 fps in the rain & night in AMS? Or do you need minimum 90 fps in Raceroom and don't care about night or weather?
Thanks for your reply....
I need a min of 60 fps at night in the rain with a min of 20 AI in ACC, rF2, AMS2, pCARS 2.
With the new cards coming out, there is a lot to choose from. :)

• Deleted member 197115

Unfortunately the CRG90 was not certified.
I have read about the flickering issues that some get and others do not.
It's the little details and inconsistency issues that's troublesome.....
This is a list of certified ones. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/
I have 38" LG 38GN950 and it works like a clock 48-144hz range.
I indeed do not see CRG90 listed here, doesn't mean it doesn't work, my 42" 4K Wasabi Mango is not on the list and works fine.
But I'd check with that particular monitor owners to make sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a min of 60 fps at night in the rain with a min of 20 AI in ACC

Some quick math tells me that this monitor has 89% of a 4k monitor's pixels. Looking at the benchmarks, this suggests that a standard RTX 3080 is the minimum graphics card you should be aiming for with Ultra graphics settings.

You can probably go with a card that's 20% less speedy if you're willing to accept High or Medium graphics settings. That puts the bottom card as a factory-overclocked RTX 2080Ti.

And that leaves the question of where AMD's new cards will fall.

a standard RTX 3080 is the minimum graphics card you should be aiming for with Ultra graphics settings.
Agreed.....but that card won't be available to the masses until 2021.
Obviously it wouldn't be wi$e to get a 2080ti....
Fingers crossed that AMD will bring out the 6900XT in sufficient quantities in Nov. at a very competitive price/performance to run ACC at 5120 x 1440 @ 100+ fps Ultra/High.
Anyway back to the CRG90.....Samsung has some QC/Cust support issues and the "recall" of the G9 units is unsettling. It seems to be a roll of the dice whether you get one without issues.
Black Friday is just around the corner..... :)

Last edited:
I have the CRG9 with a 1080ti and it's smooth (Gsync enabled), I get between 75-90 on ACC (reduce graphics), no issues at all. Waiting either on a 3080 or the BIG Navi. I did have a friend who bought the G9 a while back and had issues with Gsync not working properly. Plus the on/off button was not reliable, it took several tries to work. He returned it.

Also using Kabeldirekt DP 1.4 (4k 120hz) cable commonly found on Amazon.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

With all these G9 issues, CRG9 sounds like a better investment.
Does it also get hot like G9?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put your hand about an inch away from the screen, you will feel a little heat but I have a small fan blowing towards me most of the time, and my area is under temperature control so no I don't feel or notice the heat while gaming. The G9 is more immersive and has 240hz which are the only two things that would attract me to it, however it is not ideal for my situation as I play other games and not just sims. I need my FOV as wide as possible and really it is a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
My CRG90 sits 20" from my face and is a heat dish. You will be sweating hard without fans.

Interesting I was going to ask about this? Is that with HDR engaged? CRG90 is also HDR 1000 isn't it?
I have a HDR 1000 (1000 nit) 42 inch Philips monitor use it like a TV and it absolutely pumps out heat in HDR mode, uncomfortable when you sit close to it. Image is amazing especially when it comes to replicating shimmering water and sunlight etc but yeah... hot face.

• Deleted member 197115

I do not think it's HDR related, just some design flaw.
LG 38GN950 stays absolutely cool when running games in HDR mode for hours.
It is IPS monitor though, not VA, not sure if that matters much though, both are backlit technologies.

Does anyone have experience with Monoprice Dark Matter 49, wondering if thermals just as bad as on Samsung.

Interesting I was going to ask about this? Is that with HDR engaged? CRG90 is also HDR 1000 isn't it?
I have a HDR 1000 (1000 nit) 42 inch Philips monitor use it like a TV and it absolutely pumps out heat in HDR mode, uncomfortable when you sit close to it. Image is amazing especially when it comes to replicating shimmering water and sunlight etc but yeah... hot face.

That is without HDR enabled.

It is very interesting that many users of the same product have such a vast difference in opinions, that just shows you how characteristics of each product and their environment affects people in different ways. Super cool to hear everyone's opinion in their own perspective.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.