rfactor 2 - new purchaser

So how do I do the following. If I get a new computer, how do I go about transferring Steam/rFactor2 onto the new computer?

Thanks again for all the help. Been running races against the AI (much better with the last update!)
in the MAK-CORP mod in storms and it has been a blast. Really great weather effects in rF2; I thought GTR2 had the best weather.
Steam should do it all for you, if you have your login & password for steam. Once that is up and running, it should automatically set-up any Steam games you have. Might be some in-game chores to complete when it is finished. (and this goes for EVERYONE) Make sure you look at the top of the menu for 'pending updates' and complete those.

Are you using your existing hard drive in the new tower.

If not with the side of your new tower use your existing sata lead and connect it to a spare port on new tower. Just sit it in a spare bay or even beside the case depending on each situation

As Dave says finish any pending steam updates.

Connect sata, , connect power , boot tower, copy over Steam, start steam from steam.exe ( DON'T RE-INSTALL STEAM) log-in, steam will most probably say steam needs repair, click repair, wait, steam will close and reload, all done.

--------------
Another option is to get a external USB drive bay with 1 or 2 slots like my photo shows.
It can be a good way to use a old drive to keep external backups.
There I have 2TB + 4TB blue sata I keep specifically for TV movies and motorsport on
so I am not churning way on more expensive SSD/s.

IMG_0183.JPG

Last edited:
Been at it for a while. Very satisfied with the sim/game/whatever you prefer to call it.

The weather effects are amazing. The immersion is great. The graphics and sounds are great as well. My only "criticisms" are it takes some hand holding - see above notes from Mr. Henrie, Mr. Durge, etal - and finding good tracks together with managing the hard drive. I am going to look into an external USB drive in association with an older computer that has tons of space. These are minor inconveniences.

If I have one legitimate complaint, and that is not really fair, given that most of the cars are I have installed are free is that I wish some of the makers would give a heads up about the mirrors or the need to have 2 monitors.

If you wan't me to sit here and make the list of RF2 short comings I would need a book.

Thing is if I add up all the bad then all the good, good wins hands down everytime.

Of course that all depends on what type of simmer you are which I will not go into anymore detail for fear of retribution.

Last edited:
No, it is a sim. They all have shortcomings of one or another in my experience from Nascar 4 and all the titles in between up to now excluding iracing (which has nothing to do with the sim itself and is a personal issue). rfactor2 is great, right up there with GTR2 and GPL. I try to spend at a minimum 15 to 20 mins a night on it. My two cents: highly recommended.

@Durge Driven: you wont hurt my feelings.

Last edited:
S397 should give S.V. a contract.
You see changelog for umpteen Dundrod update.
I mean we talking about GPL conversions, 3rd party with more updates then any ISI/397 track has ever had.

Update: 30 Aug @ 8:52pm
v2.50 Historical content update - 24 Hours of Dundrod

- Add new "24 Hours of Dundrod" layout with temporary road lights exclusively for endurance events.
- Set historical accurate race date in September for "TT" layout, which affects sun angle & day night duration. All other layouts have race date set in June.
- Add historical track lights with different configurations for each layout. Temporary road lights are available only for 24H & Reverse layout. The TT layout has the least track lights in order to stay authentic to the historical event.
- Add random power fluctuation animation to track lights.
- Rebuilt main broadcast building with more historical details.
- Recreated the quarries left-hand hill elevation with additional historical fences, crowds, vegetation, houses.
- Add historical landmark farm houses at Rushyhill, Deer's Leap, Wheeler's corner, Hairpin.
- Add historical caravans, big top tents, outhouses, race event signboards.
- Add historical no-entry sign at pit exit during pit closure.
- Add more 3D & texture details to tents, banners, speakers, bridges, stone walls, farm gates, improved material effects.
- Add more crowds and warning signs to various historical locations.
- Remodeled all 2D chimneys & stone walls to 3D, fixed shadows casting issue.
- Optimized collision wall, removed collision wall that can strand vehicle.
- Removed grid lines from TT layout.
- Fixed some minor road UV map issues.
- Updated lakes using the new IBL water shader.
- Removed rainbow from race session.
- Replaced some 2D tree walls with billboards trees that fits better with scenery.
- Improved large amount materials, textures, objects.
- Increased overall material brightness by 5%.
- AIW workaround to fix AI crashing and stuck issues while exiting pit lane.
- Improved AI path at Hairpin for GP Reverse layout for wide range of vehicle types.
- Reworked track-side camera groups with more coverage and additional angles that closely matches historical footage.

Last edited:
As in "simmer" I was not talking about arcade / hardcore.

More like if you are the type of simmer will make allowances, for example disabling all flags on some tracks for the sake of having good AI racing.

Things like that I can think of many situations you can work around issues but the majority don't see why a sim should be like that so they turn your nose up instead of having a proper go.

I think what alot don't seem to get rF2 is simply more dynamic then the rest and unless you do longer sessions and runs you will miss all this.
Other sims I can do a 5 lap sprint and they mostly turn out the same so much so its hard to tell 2 races apart.
I don't call that good AI I call it bad reality.

In lots of ways lots of situations you can watch a AI in front of you and you think what is he doing then later in lap he is driving normal then something upsets him again, then the next AI you watch in the same places is different again lol Other sims AI are more to script "go this way go that way every 2.5 times" etc.

The genius created gmotor left a lot of this up to the AI and their learning.

Another example is collison with objects, you hit a hale bale a cone a barrier a sign a guide post a car's tyre or suspension part they all dynamically react.

So you can hit a hay bale into another cars steering sending it off road, it hits a barrier gets flung back on track and then hits another car which gets hit by a car behind and so on. That same scenario could play out 1,000 different ways becuase of infinite degrees of physics.
rF2 cars can climb objects as well, wood stacks, broken posts, stairs so they react dynamically with the surrounds.

All other sims to me are like zombies in this regard they feel like sims I can never trick myself they are reality were as rF2 I sit in the car I forget there is a monitor in front of me. The cars feel more alive the AI react like they alive both good and bad drivers among them and some random stuff ups which again is more dynamic more real to me then not.

Last edited:
Agreed. With the first GTR title, I raced exclusively online in several leagues. After the last league went into the dumper, I just dabbled in GPL online which was more about learning how to handle those vehicles by watching long time veterans of it. The point is I never had much interaction with AI until rF2. I thought they were strange but the last update cleaned them up a lot. I havent done a full endurance race yet offline, but from what I've seen, the AI are pretty good. For example, I've gone through some of the tight corners at the '76 S. Africa side by side with no AI bizarro behavior. So yeah, pretty happy w rF2.

If you asked me what gives me a downer about rF2 ............

1. That rF2 was not appreciated for what it was, dynamic, support 25 models a session and 100 cars, I mean people spend their lives complaing about these limititations.
2. That ISI got kicked out of the Industry and we lost any chance of gmotor3.0 and fixes it may have brought.
3. That Historics got no love to speak of.
4. Barely any tyre smoke anymore for longtime :(

Old builds we used to do linelocks is Spa pits looping around the cars
so much smoke you could not see a thing ! I really miss that :(
It also made AI and online lockups more immersive visually.

rFactor2 2012-10-03 00-00-01-95.jpg

rFactor2 2012-10-03 00-03-01-02.jpg
rFactor2 2014-01-04 21-14-11-47.jpg
rFactor2 2016-04-15 10-17-43-129.jpg

Also as is the engine and tyres today you just can't do this anymore the same way as in dynamics and natural feeling, it is hard to pin point in words.
rFactor2 2015-07-02 18-32-14-537.jpg

Last edited:
On some of the prototype cars, such as Oreca, there are indicators on the dash for P2P and DRS. The P2P is not grayed out like the DRS is grayed out. Does P2P signify push to pass? Not sure what P2P means and not sure how to map it because I see no button for it on the assign settings pages. If there is a way to map it, how do I do it?

I am not remote from my racing computer at the moment so I may be misremembering whether is the Oreca vehicle or another prototype make. Sorry for the vague question and thanks in advance.

Yes, P2P refers to Push to Pass. (DRS works the same way but only for certain cars that employ it, like the FormulaPro or the BMW Class1. ) The IR-18 Indycar makes use of the P2P feature. To confuse you more, the 2023 BTCC cars use a hybrid system that can also use the same activation keys as P2P. I have separate controller profiles for each type though. The buttons are all the same except for Using DRS in one Profile and P2P on another, and BTCC on a completely separate profile as well.
All the following assumes you are using the newest version of rF2.

DRS is activated by assigning the REAR FLAP function in the first column of Driving Controls.
(Settings, Driving, Car Controls) Settings can be accessed at the main menu or at the track by clicking on the Gear Icon usually located in the upper right of the screen)

The P2P assignment is also under settings, but on the 2nd page of options: Powertrain Electronics. 1st column, near the bottom.

The BTCC Hybrid controls use the same P2P assignment. All three types operate differently. DRS remains active only when in a DRS zone, when you are close enough to the car in front of you and then deactivates at the end of the zone or when braking.
P2P varies depending upon the rules Usually a certain number of seconds per race that can be used when ever, for offensive passing or defensive trying to stay ahead. Usually you need a certain % of a lap to recharge the P2P for the next use.
BTCC also is not limited by DRS zones but can be used for nearly an unlimited number of laps, so long as you meet the requirements for it's use each lap.

"All the following assumes you are using the newest version of rF2."

How do I know whether my rF2 is the newest version? I've let it update whenever it decides to update. Is there some thing I should look for?

Thanks!

@davehenrie & @Durge Driven: thinks for the tips on push 2 pass and learning the update status of my rF2.

Another novice question: what does "force setup" mean in the showcase of a given car? If I mess around with it, will I wipe out the set up the game imputes to the car?

Thanks for your kindness.

Untitled 1.jpg

===================

2 lines in player.json:

"Fixed AI Setups":false,
"Fixed AI Setups#":"whether AI use the fixed setups, only applicable if \"Fixed Setups\" is also enabled (and can be used in single player to have the AIs use your favorite setup)",
"Fixed Setups":false,
"Fixed Setups#":"use fixed setups specified in UserData\\<plr>\\FavoriteAndFixedSetups.gal (based on track and vehicle class)",

*** I removed the 3rd line, immaterial unless you want to setup server.
===================

So in my example I have selected a different engine and wheel rim.
Click Force setup the AI will use that engine and wheels.
To make sure they use your garage setup you need to start the combo with the setup you want, then close the session, your setup and upgrades will be added to "favourite"
Now make a session and the AI should use both.

Problem is you can't modify certain behavior of the AI without editing the vehicle.

Like in this car the F3 Eve the AI literally valve bounce every gear, I mean has no one heard of short shifting to save the car ? I run 100% damage always and you can blow these up.
This is not too bad till they change to 4th where they take forever to get to 5th which can affect cars by backing them into each other and you arrive already in 5th gear.
Because they low power car on even the slightest incline they will not upshift, probably the most off putting thing in rF2 for me.
Silly thing is they pull decent from 8,000rpm, if the AI shifted at say 9,000rpm they would gain lap time. I know that because I can do fastest lap time possible
by using no more then 9,000rpm.

=======================

Really funny cause I remember thread 11 years ago explaining this and saying.
"I really don't care too much about AI setup until they have updated the cars "
How romantic ! I thought ISI would upgrade the cars and fix his glaring bug.
Silly me. :roflmao:

Okay now I must mention old fact discovered by me as far as I know because when I told Tim Wheatley he was surprised.....
You can use the server to run offline sessions which brings some benefit.
One thing I don't like about offline is having the sim pause when multi tasking.
Like if you were making rubber for new track in window mode or say test watching new mod, you cant watch a movie or anything else at same time.
If you run a server offline it doesn't pause. :x3:

Last edited:
As in "simmer" I was not talking about arcade / hardcore.

More like if you are the type of simmer will make allowances, for example disabling all flags on some tracks for the sake of having good AI racing.

Things like that I can think of many situations you can work around issues but the majority don't see why a sim should be like that so they turn your nose up instead of having a proper go.

I think what alot don't seem to get rF2 is simply more dynamic then the rest and unless you do longer sessions and runs you will miss all this.
Other sims I can do a 5 lap sprint and they mostly turn out the same so much so its hard to tell 2 races apart.
I don't call that good AI I call it bad reality.

In lots of ways lots of situations you can watch a AI in front of you and you think what is he doing then later in lap he is driving normal then something upsets him again, then the next AI you watch in the same places is different again lol Other sims AI are more to script "go this way go that way every 2.5 times" etc.

The genius created gmotor left a lot of this up to the AI and their learning.

Another example is collison with objects, you hit a hale bale a cone a barrier a sign a guide post a car's tyre or suspension part they all dynamically react.

So you can hit a hay bale into another cars steering sending it off road, it hits a barrier gets flung back on track and then hits another car which gets hit by a car behind and so on. That same scenario could play out 1,000 different ways becuase of infinite degrees of physics.
rF2 cars can climb objects as well, wood stacks, broken posts, stairs so they react dynamically with the surrounds.

All other sims to me are like zombies in this regard they feel like sims I can never trick myself they are reality were as rF2 I sit in the car I forget there is a monitor in front of me. The cars feel more alive the AI react like they alive both good and bad drivers among them and some random stuff ups which again is more dynamic more real to me then not.
This right here is what makes rF2 for me. Battling a AI car on the final laps, trying to pass and the AI makes a mistake and overshoots the last corner before the checkered flag. I love it! Or on the last few laps, fighting for position the AI car starts smoking..next thing you know they have blown their engine and you gain that position. It really makes this sim a cut above the rest..for me anyway. Dynamic is a good word. Every race is different. Love it.

Downloaded and installed some add on cars. They work on the tracks. Question is why they have a black tarp over them in the vehicle drop down?
Just to learning whether I somehow botched the install or missed something.

Thanks in advance.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea