rfactor 2 - new purchaser

Downloaded and installed some add on cars. They work on the tracks. Question is why they have a black tarp over them in the vehicle drop down?
Just to learning whether I somehow botched the install or missed something.

Thanks in advance.
Several years ago, S397 changed the images used for the car selection menus. This required a complete replacement for 3rd party mods. As you have seen, not all the original mod creators have updated their car files. The process is time consuming but do-able by just about anyone who has the knowledge to create a mod in the first place.
So the black tarp is a place-holder. It is a generic image so there is at least something visible. S397 does not have ownership of the mods and therefore cannot alter them to suit the new menus. It is soley up to the 3rd party modders.(just like the 3rd party modders are responsible to update their mods to match the new sound engine installed last year. Some have, others have not)

Next you will be asking about the funny yellow cars when driving online. Yes, this is not a bug. Loading skins onto a server when a new user joins often causes a slight teeny tiny, ever so small freeze. As you can imagine, that slight, teeny tiny, ever so small freeze can be deadly if you are traversing a corner. So the yellow blob cars are placeholders.
The default is for your system to load the new skins only after you have returned to the garage. There is also a button you can assign that will force the skins to load while you are still driving...best to be on a straight when you employ that.
Welcome aboard, feel free to keep asking questions...rF2 is a fickle but rewarding beast!

Last edited:
How do I create an offline race involving particular cars? More precisely, I have 4 cars in "local content" which I'd like have in a race. I am lost on creating such a race. Thanks in advance.

How do I create an offline race involving particular cars? More precisely, I have 4 cars in "local content" which I'd like have in a race. I am lost on creating such a race. Thanks in advance.

To gaming computer smart guys:

So, it might be time for a new machine to be used exclusively for rF2 and/or AC. What do I want re the box and the monitor? Havent looked into gaming computers for a few years and my own research, preliminary as it is, has my head spinning some. I've had good results with Aliens but my last one is about 4 years old and I didnt keep up with the tech evolution. FYI, I know it can be financially advantageous to build it myself but I dont have the time and would probably end up with all kinds of parts and pieces scattered on the floor.

Thanks!

The old saying is buy as fast as you can afford. But of course that is way to generic.
Start with a modern motherboard and CPU, either AMD or Intel based, both are stout if you get one of the two generations from the newest cpu.
Now for MINIMUMS. 850 watt power supply. a Video card with AT LEAST 8gb of Video ram.(NV 3060 & above or AMD XT 5700 & up)12GB vram will future proof your video card, at least for a while. System memory is either 16 or 32gb. Do not try and get by with just 8.

You can shortchange ANY of those and rF2 will run, but if you want your system to run well for years then start with the above. ESPECIALLY if you plan on VR at some point. Then get as close to cutting edge as you can.

...it might be time for a new machine...
I've been building my own gaming PC's for 25 years - starting with an "overclocked" Intel Celeron 300a @ 450mhz in 1998. I had 2 boys in the house who were gamers too, so I've built at least 12 PC's along the way. Honestly, I've lost count, but I'd build a new box every 2-3 years after video card / memory / hard drive & operating system upgrades, etc. Both kids got "trickle down" upgrades.

Since the kids grew up & hardware has evolved, I build boxes w/ a 5 year window since 2015.

Anywhoo... here's some great resources if you want to DIY.

This shopping site is great - you can create a build & save it, then MOD that build & save that one & then mod it again, etc. I do this to compare where I can save $ or improve performance, etc. They also have "build guides" by users of the site that you can just copy as a baseline starting point either based on your budget or your performance needs (4K, TB's of storage, etc) and then you can modify those builds & save those until you have the budget, etc.

NOTE: it also has a compatibility checker if you're a total noob & try to build with an Intel motherboard & an AMD CPU, or you pick an M.2 HD that the mobo does not support, etc.

These guys are gamers & builders you can ask for advice about your build.

This guy makes some very good general points about DIY

To gaming computer smart guys:

So, it might be time for a new machine to be used exclusively for rF2 and/or AC. What do I want re the box and the monitor? Havent looked into gaming computers for a few years and my own research, preliminary as it is, has my head spinning some. I've had good results with Aliens but my last one is about 4 years old and I didnt keep up with the tech evolution. FYI, I know it can be financially advantageous to build it myself but I dont have the time and would probably end up with all kinds of parts and pieces scattered on the floor.

Thanks!
Building is very rewarding and I would wholeheartedly recommend the DIY route. I am 55 and I built my first PC about 4 years ago just as COVID hit. I began by building a spreadsheet comparing prices on bundles and individual components at Newegg, Amazon, and Micro Center. Assembly was straightforward and easy but some cable management was tight. I was freaked out clamping down the CPU and nervous about frying my GPU, so I was glad to have a tech savvy teenager with build experience in the house!

Thinking about a pre-built, I would determine your specs, and if there is Micro Center store within 3 states of you, see if they have a PowerSpec brand PC to meet your needs. Extended service plans are affordable and tech support is very good.

I second the recommendations and use of PC Parts Picker above to get a good grasp on costs and capabilities whether you build or buy off the shelf. Best of luck!

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice about a new computer. Update when I decide how to proceed.
Meanwhile, an easy and less costly question: where do downloaded setups go? Do I place them in the packages folder and will the game put them with the car for which the setup is intended?

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice about a new computer. Update when I decide how to proceed.
Meanwhile, an easy and less costly question: where do downloaded setups go? Do I place them in the packages folder and will the game put them with the car for which the setup is intended?
Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\[trackname folder]

Ignore this...I found old info in a google search...apologies.

Last edited:
example: Drive:\STEAM\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\60Soulton

In settings screen you will see tab "Show setups"
ALL: will show all setups for all vehicles for the track you select .
CURRENT CAR: will show only setups for specific vehicle.

However some mods especially ones that have multiple versions ( like a mod of a S397 car ) may not show up when you select Current Vehicle. In that case the setup will display in ALL .

Last edited:
:confused:

It should be in Steam ?
That way all setups are archived in case your OS goes down.
Or do you put documents on another partition ? ( that would explain heaps )
My bad...I copied and pasted from post #7 here.....

Thanks @Johnny Speed & @Durge Driven!

I generally do my own set up work - everyone likes something a little different.
But from time to time it helps to see how others configure their cars. Thanks.

Open rooms is good way to get setups.

In Manage Setups select your setup then highlight another setup and click "compare"
In the individual setup menus you will see the differences -1 +1 etc. in blue

I just got rF2 and I did get a lot of content included. This content was in the form of an 'update' which took about an hour to install fully.

Today I tried some online racing. I tried the rookie events and also jumping on public servers. On a server that ran an old Le Mans version and a Ford-Ferrari set of cars, I was prompted to download the missing content. All worked great.

Another server had a modern Le Mans and more modern endurance cars. I got a choice to DL the missing content and I tried to do this. However a lot of tracks and cars, that were not required specifically for the server and event I was trying to join, got added to a huge update that is currently ongoing.

It appears that some of the tracks and perhaps cars are ones that have to be purchased. I had not intended to purchase any content just yet and did not select any content that is in this update knowing or seeing any info on purchase and price.

What will happen when this 'update' is done? Will I be asked to purchase items then or what?

Also why did this 'update' not stick specifically to the content required to join the specific server and event? Why did all these tracks and cars get lumped into one big update? This was not intended by me at that time.

Thanks.

PH

Last edited:
I just got rF2 and I did get a lot of content included. This content was in the form of an 'update' which took about an hour to install fully.

Today I tried some online racing. I tried the rookie events and also jumping on public servers. On a server that ran an old Le Mans version and a Ford-Ferrari set of cars, I was prompted to download the missing content. All worked great.

Another server had a modern Le Mans and more modern endurance cars. I got a choice to DL the missing content and I tried to do this. However a lot of tracks and cars, that were not required specifically for the server and event I was trying to join, got added to a huge update that is currently ongoing.

It appears that some of the tracks and perhaps cars are ones that have to be purchased. I had not intended to purchase any content just yet and did not select any content that is in this update knowing or seeing any info on purchase and price.

What will happen when this 'update' is done? Will I be asked to purchase items then or what?

Also why did this 'update' not stick specifically to the content required to join the specific server and event? Why did all these tracks and cars get lumped into one big update? This was not intended by me at that time.

Thanks.

PH
You only need to purchase the tracks and cars if you actually want to use them. There's no need to purchase cars if they're just being used by your opponents.

Thanks.

PH
Server's are often loaded with several if not MANY tracks that can rotate through the list for variety. Yes, you will need to purchase DLC tracks like the new Laser Scan Le Mans 2018 if such tracks have been included with the server you are attempting to join.
As far as cars, in the past we were required to own everything the server had(similar to the track situation) but now you only need to buy one car if the server is using DLC content. For example the GT3 fleet. You will still need to download and install the cars, but those will only be partially installed so that the text appears orange. One of the weaknesses of the rF2 online system is the lack of clear information about which cars and tracks the server has loaded.
The new Race Control area is attempting to improve in that area, there are usually two free sections where you can gain experience on the workings of rF2 online plus create a profile and begin to build your Driver Ratings.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.