rfactor 2 - new purchaser

Hello:

New purchaser of rfactor 2 and pretty confused.

I installed steam on my computer and downloaded rfactor 2 on 4/21/23 resulting in a shortcut icon on my desk top. What I downloaded, does it include all prior updates released by the studio 397/ISI? If not, how do I update that which I purchased?

Also, there are all sorts of cool cars, mods, tracks in the store. How do I download and install those?

In Steam Click on rFactor2 icon to open it.
To the right of "PLAY" click on "Workshop"
Hover your mouse on "Browse" and you will get a drop down menu
Click on "Subscribed items"
This will tell you what you have downloaded and ready to use.
Scroll below you will see all 3rd party downloads.
Click on one you want then click "Subscribe"
Content will be downloaded.
When you start rFactor2 you will see a message up top " xx pending updates" xx being how many items you have subscribed, click on message and items will get installed ready to use.

Start rFactor2 and click on heading "Content and Settings"
Click on "Manage Content"
This will show you 3 lists.
Local Content - rFactor2 content comes with the sim.
Workshop Content - 3rd party content you have subscribed to.
Store Content - DLC content you have purchased.

P.S. When you use content without making rfmods you must use " All cars and tracks" and scroll a big list of cars, some will make no sense as many are classes.
You will just have to spend some time browsing the list clicking on cars .
You will notice a lot of older cars don't have icons of the actual car and are blank shapes, to look at cars click on "Customize" and showroom will open with car.

"rfmods" rFactor2 has a tool called MAS2 that will make "series" of the cars, skins and track layouts you want to use"
Advantage of rfmods is they get their own headings by the name you give them.
So you don.t have to scroll one huge list to find content.

Here is tutorial very easy to follow, ignore the old ui , everything else is the same.
Basically you select the cars and tracks you want for a series, package it, install it.
Next time you start rFactor2 below "all cars and tracks" you will have a new entry, ie: what ever you called the series.

Last edited:
Here is some of the car series ( rfmods) I make for myself.
Looks neat, easy to browse content.
As content is updated these rfmods should be redone / updated.
Good trick thing about rFactor2.
If you keep old versions of content using rfmods that content can't be uninstalled.
So you can actually keep multiple versions of the same content till you ready to remove them.
That saves you from having to update rfmods whenever there are updates.
Only rule is you can't put 2 versions of the same content in the same rfmod.

rfmods.jpg

MAS2 make a icon:
Drive:\STEAM\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Support\Tools \MAS2.exe

Mod Manager make a icon:
Drive:\STEAM\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\ModMgr.exe

Mod Manager is another handy tool
With this you can view all content, version number and whether they are installed or not.
So if you say downloading from Race Department or checking content you don't have to start Steam or rFactor2.
You can also view other components like custom audio, talent, hud, etc.
I like to disable everything except Vehicle and Locations.
To disable individual component entry click on the little tab eg: Snd = Sound
If I want to view HUDs to check something I click HUD otherwise don't need them in list.

You will notice in my Mod Manager that all the content in under Status it says "In use by 1 mod" "In use by 9 mods" etc.
Way back I got sick of booting up rF2 to get my room online and see I needed to remake room mod, test it, make real road and publish before you could get online.

I quickly worked out any content included in rfmods could not physically be removed when updated. I told everyone on server not to delete the old rfmods till iIsaid so that would automatically keep old versions of content still installed so we could use old rfmods for a day.

To clarify with No rfmods: downloaded files and "installed" folders are deleted.
With rfmods: downloaded files are deleted but installed folders are retained so rfmods still work.
NOTE: all rfmods must be installed all the time or any installed content updated will be deleted and rfmods will not work.

Another handy feature is you can use multiple Packages Dir: ( Directory) to store 3rd party content. This can be a big plus if you have limited SSD space
You can also store official included content out of the steam folder by copying it to a archive then unsubscribing it.
Note you won't get updates anymore instead manually download them when it suits you
Majority of content in rF2 does not get updated too much so not a worry.

1. Make folders in your sim patches archive I call mine PACKAGES CARS, PACKAGES INDY, PACKAGES TRACKS HISTORIC, etc.
2. Copy content from download cache to your new folders, don;t copy the numbered folder just the content.
BEYOND COMPARE free trial will make it easy to find content in folder list.
It can exclude all folders so all you will see is a list of content ( see screenshot)
3. In Mod Manager click on the "B" next to Packages Dir and browse for the folder/s you made
click OK now you can change directory in drop down list and any uninstalled content in that directory will show up. Click on default folder to change it back

This method I have 117GB of content in archive on slow 500kb SSD.

modmgr01.jpg
modmgr02.jpg
beyond compare.jpg

Durge, your kindness and generosity is beyond words.

I have a fundamental problem with which I do not know what to do. When I start steam and am logged in to steam, I clicked the "play" button. All I get is a black screen that just stays put. My cursor is the only thing on the screen.

My computer is a pristine alienware with Win10. The only thing literally on the hard drive is Gran Prix Legends. Pretty vexing that with such an old piece of software (GPL) and a ton of add on tracks and mods for GPL, it works just fine and for something modern and recent like rF2, black screen only.

Any tips or suggestions are most welcome. I put a note on the steam board and apparently, I am not the only purchaser experiencing this issue. None of the purchasers with this problem have received a response. :confused:. I truly hope I dont regret my purchase.

Thanks fellas. ISI/studio397 needs to pull its act together. if they needed a couple of bucks, I would have lent it to them. No need to have me buy something install horsefeathers on my machine and then have it fail. Guess now that they have my few bucks, I get the privilege of waiting for them to figure out what they did. I am not at the point of throwing my hands up and deleting it but sheesh, if they need $30 just ask instead of this nonsense.

Irony is I got this vexing piece of software because aside from GPL, I run PTC for F1C so all those old games work just fine on Win 10 but this thing....black screen

If you fellas learn more about solving this issue, please chime in and thanks for your courtesy...much more help here than at the place that built it and sells it.

Durge, your kindness and generosity is beyond words.

I have a fundamental problem with which I do not know what to do. When I start steam and am logged in to steam, I clicked the "play" button. All I get is a black screen that just stays put. My cursor is the only thing on the screen.

My computer is a pristine alienware with Win10. The only thing literally on the hard drive is Gran Prix Legends. Pretty vexing that with such an old piece of software (GPL) and a ton of add on tracks and mods for GPL, it works just fine and for something modern and recent like rF2, black screen only.

Any tips or suggestions are most welcome. I put a note on the steam board and apparently, I am not the only purchaser experiencing this issue. None of the purchasers with this problem have received a response. :confused:. I truly hope I dont regret my purchase.
Yes compared to GPL you could say rF2 is modern. But it predates Win10, It predates wide acceptance of Steam, It predates DX11, it predates most DLC. rF2's BONES are old, and the core program is in the process of a 5+ year rebuild. She is a finicky beast.
I hope we help you get this corrected or S397 issues a hotfix.
In the meantime for ALL new users or folks that have been away from rF2 for some time.

Some rules for new rF2 users.

Rule #1.
Never type the following here, because we have seen it a 1000 times:
My(insert wheel/vidcard/pedals/sound/VR etc here)works in every other title.
rF2 works for most people straight away, but there will always be systems that have issues. We'll do our best to help you

Rule #2
Don't just tell us you have an Alienware computer, tell us what kind it is and the model. Is it a laptop? Is it a 6year old desktop? What bits of hardware do you have installed? Videocard brand and model & how much video ram(Vram), cpu, system memory.
The more we know about your computer, the faster we can eliminate possible roadblocks.

Rule #3
NEVER EVER EVER think erasing and re-installing rF2 will magically cure everything. So many people waste time using Steam to remove rF2 and then starting out fresh.(takes a long time if you have a lot of content) However, when deleting & re-installing, Steam does not keep track of files you may have added, those files/folders are left behind and could contain the very same problem file waiting to once again bite you.
So using Steam to Verify files is good, deleting/uninstalling/re-installing: almost always a waste of time.

Rule #4.
If rF2 has suddenly stopped working or loading, when yesterday everything was fine, just try this simple fix first. Use Windows to rename one folder in rF2. It is called the USERDATA folder. Any odd name will do, rename it to OLD_USERDATA or USERxxxDATA whatever. Next time you start rF2, it will create a new version of the USERDATA folder. If that fixes the problem you can then use windows to copy any saved controller profiles back and you are off & running. Here is the default location of rF2 inside the Steam folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData

Rule #5
If your FFB feels odd(especially for some older Logitech or Thrustmaster wheels) go to the calibrate screen and adjust the ffb from a positive value to a negative one. i.e. If you ffb is set to 80, move the slider left and change it to -80.

Rule #6
If you have an AMD videocard, there is a conflict with rF2 and the newer video drivers released by AMD for about the last year. If you want stable rF2 gameplay with an AMD video card, only use v22.5.1 of the Radeon drivers.

Finally rF2 is a BUGGER of a program, the amount of calculations just for the tire sub-routine are enormous. The graphic engine has been layered with many new features. The sound system is in the process of a complete overhaul. Even a computer just a couple of years old may choke if you insist on ULTRA graphic settings with lots of different cars at many of the Laser Scanned tracks. Trying different graphic settings can possibly show where some features are slowing down your system.

Take care & enjoy!

Last edited:
Understood and I'll plead guilty to not providing my specs. They are Win10, 64 bit, Direct X 12.0, Geforce GTX 980 Ti. The hard drive consists only of GPL & now steam/rF2 with Google as a browser. I appreciate the heads up and I wont run afoul of the rules a 2nd time.

If it is helpful to anyone, someone suggested subscribing to anything in the workshop because such "unjams" rF2. I subscribed to a prototype car (Audi) and doing so did get rF2 to start. However, I've encountered a new hurdle. I can select the only the Prototype Audi and it says I have no tracks on which to run the car. So I am unclear whether the only vehicle in my game is the Audi for which I have no tracks. I guess I am unclear what I actually bought....a platform I build out with car and track downloads or something that came with a "stock' or game vehicle with a "stock" or already included track like rF1 had with its purchase.

I am sure I will ultimately sort this puzzle out, and I extend my apology to the board and responders here.

Last edited:
Understood and I'll plead guilty to not providing my specs. They are Win10, 64 bit, Direct X 12.0, Geforce GTX 980 Ti. The hard drive consists only of GPL & now steam/rF2 with Google as a browser. I appreciate the heads up and I wont run afoul of the rules a 2nd time.

If it is helpful to anyone, someone suggested subscribing to anything in the workshop because such "unjams" rF2. I subscribed to a prototype car (Audi) and doing so did get rF2 to start. However, I've encountered a new hurdle. I can select the only the Prototype Audi and it says I have no tracks on which to run the car. So I am unclear whether the only vehicle in my game is the Audi for which I have no tracks. I guess I am unclear what I actually bought....a platform I build out with car and track downloads or something that came with a "stock' or game vehicle with a "stock" or already included track like rF1 had with its purchase.

I am sure I will ultimately sort this puzzle out, and I extend my apology to the board and responders here.
when you choose single player at the main menu, then make sure you have ALL TRACKS & CARS selected. When you join a server or a competiton system race, rF2 will default back to that, it will appear as if all your choices vanished.
I'll add more in a bit, the WIFE has issues! :)

rFactor 2 doesn't come with any cars or tracks included. You'll need to download everything you want to use from the Steam workshop, or you buy official content in their item store.

Thanks fellas.

@Mujah....that clarifies things big time. Believe it or not, I did look into rF2 before buying it on their official website and unless I missed it, nothing says the buyer buys just a platform to build out on his/her own. Thanks!

@davehenrie, thanks! Again, sorry for being a PIA and messing up. My sole point is that even though I dont know how to code, I am kinda use to wrestling with ungainly racing software. Thanks for the insight and tips!

Thanks fellas.

@Mujah....that clarifies things big time. Believe it or not, I did look into rF2 before buying it on their official website and unless I missed it, nothing says the buyer buys just a platform to build out on his/her own. Thanks!

@davehenrie, thanks! Again, sorry for being a PIA and messing up. My sole point is that even though I dont know how to code, I am kinda use to wrestling with ungainly racing software. Thanks for the insight and tips!
No worries there, I think that is one of the changes made to alliviate huge downloads when re-starting or purchasing rF2. In the past, as soon as you reached the main menu, the program would begin downloading ALL of the default (non DLC) content. So you would get all the ISI & S397 tracks and cars and it could be quite some time before you could turn your first lap. Now, as you have discovered <& news to me btw! :) > they have configured things so you get to choose what cars & tracks to download.
Trust me, you will have more questions and don't ever hesitate to ask.

You guys are really great. I would have had a much better idea about rF2 if it has simply said something to the effect of "buy this platform and install cars, tracks and racing series as you like". My heart sank the first time I got it to work when I saw I had no cars and no tracks. :)

So here's a decent straightforward question: I believe the latest update from last week is on my machine - I see the E open wheel cars on the "splash" page when the sim boots up. Does this mean they are in my game? I havent been able to locate them and when I click "all cars and tracks" they dont show up.

Thanks to you guys I have a much better sense of what rF2 is and I can hopefully ask much better questions about the toys in the toy box.

Thanks!

The formula E cars are items you have to purchase. You can do this from the menu by choosing the STORE tab which sits above the main images. From there you can buy either a pack with all three generations of the Formula E (fE) or individual variants. There is the original 2018 car, the 2019-2022 version and the newest one is the Gen 3.
Keep in mind, in the past, to race some car online, like one of the GT3 cars, you had to purchase all of the carset.(which I think is up around 14 cars now) However, just recently the changed the process so that now, for online racing, you can join a server even if you only have one car that you own. You must download and install the other cars but if you do not own them, you cannot drive them. You WILL need to match the server in regards to tracks.
Don't forget to look at the top center and check for Pending Updates. Those seem to crop up routinely. Click on that and either complete an install or Pending Update.

@davehenrie: pardon my manners....hope the mrs is ok.

Being a scoundrel, I left work early and fired up rF2. OMG, it looks amazing on the screen! I am a big fan of sportscars/prototypes and zipped around Monza in a Cadillac and the eye candy was the best of any sim I've ever used (all the Papy Nascar titles from N4 to N2k3, F1C 99-02, GTR 1 & 2, rF1, GTL, Arca, and my beloved GPL). Just plain wow!

Technical question: my wheel is just a plain old Logitech Driving Force GT. Decidely low tech but it always works with any sim and any computer. However, the steering was very twitchy after calibrating it in the controls page of the game. I have FFB at zero (never used FFB in any sim).
Any tips on how to reduce that twitchy feeling? The steering, in other words, is overly sensitive to input.

Thanks in advance. I do "get" why, despite its "bugger" nature, folks buy the sim. It is really beautiful!

Last edited:
You may have had cause not to use FFB in gmotor/gmotor2.0 but you should look for profiles for your wheel. I used a Logitech Black Momo which was absolutely fantastic in rF2 you could feel everything and it is the lowest performance wheel.
So no reason won't be a good setup for yours.

Initially turn down spring effect in the Logitech software.
In rF2 FFB menu you must set a car specific FFB % around 50-75% depending on car.

There are also settings in the controller.ini to tweak.
Never tweak existing profiles, resave them to another name and edit those.

P.S. Forgot to mention since you never used FFB you might not be aware that all gmotor sims with at least old Logitech wheels you reverse the force feed. This thread explains a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks gentlemen....give it whirl this evening. I am sure as I gain familiarity with all the bells and whistles, I will have more questions. Come to think of it: 1) what is the VR option & 2) what is "attack"? Thanks!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.