rfactor 2 - new purchaser

VR option is to start the sim in VR mode, requires a fairly stout system and...of course...VR headset.
Attack? All I can think of is the Attack mode in Formula E that somehow boosts your speed for a short time. Don't have any of those so I can't say for sure. Possibly activated by driving over some marking on the track?????

Thanks for the tip on the steering, davehenrie.

Download a few tracks. One looks great, Monza which I bought from the store. One track doesnt look does not look so hot graphics-wise which was a free down load from a list off the rfactor2 page. Is this a common difference given the source? Not complaining but is there a difference qualitatively from the store and elsewhere? Thanks!

Need a pointer or two in the rfmcp deal for tracks. I've winrar and 7zip on my computer. I downloaded 2 tracks not from the steam place. I've thrown every thing I can think of at these files but I just cannot get them to open. I know winrar can be twitchy but I must be somehow blowing it with 7zip. The unpacking/extracting/opening process starts but concludes by saying an error took place. The tracks are Kyalmi and Silverstone and the sites from which I downloaded them seem good (not in a dark corner of the web) and the files are clean of any viruses. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
all cars and tracks ( steam and otherwise ) are packed *.rfcmp
Manually installed these go into the rFactor2/packages folder.
( already showed you all this and I also showed you how you can store them in archive
using multiple "packages" folders, please take the time to read properly )

Once you drop the rfcmp's into "packages" you can then install 2 ways.

1. Open rFactor2 click on CONTENT & SETTINGS click on LOCAL CONTENT click on INSTALLED ( twice) this will bring to top of list any content not installed ( Orange X )
Click on file then click "install 1 item"
For multiple items tick the box for each item

2. Open "Mod Manager"
Drive:\STEAM\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\ModMgr.exe.
Click on the tab "Installed" twice it will do the same bring any uninstalled content to top of the list.
Select item and click install or right click install.
List will refresh and say "installed" Yes

Last edited:
There is a 3rd way lol

You can manually injected extracted rfcmp into rF2 by copy & paste or by using a generic mod enabler.
The 4 mods you see here are actually installed and working even though rF2 doesn't think so.

GOOD LUCK WORKING THAT OUT ! lmao :roflmao:

Untitled 1.jpg
Untitled 2.jpg
Untitled 3.jpg

Thanks a mil!

I figured out the download biz of tracks. The answer was obvious but I just didnt see it. Stupidly, I was hung up on the appearance of the files rather than their names. Anyway, the flaw was me, not anything with the file opener or rF2. Installing them went perfectly.

Thanks again.

Important to learn the sim's language and structure together with learning steam. Always fun to learn new things.

Just downloaded the huge MAK Group C_1.2_Community. Is installing a mod essentially the same as installing tracks? Packages, then having steam installing?

Really appreciate the support and patience of the this place. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes all install the same.

Like I said I would keep all non Steam downloads in archives outside Steam as I outlined on page 1.

I have archived all steam content apart from the DLC which you can't otherwise I would.
Pro: This saves me roughly 140GB of packages in Steam.

Con: when any of that content is updated you need to subscribe in Steam, manually copy over the new version to archive, unsubscribe in Steam then re-install from the archive with mod manager.

Mod manager is the best way, you don't have to start either Steam or rFactor2 to use it.

Last edited:
Problem with the MAK Group C.....downloaded all three files from here as winrar files. However, when I tried to open with winrar, the response is "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged". When I tried to open with the archive option, "no archives found".

I did download the files in sequence and intened to open them one at a time starting with download 1 but see above.

Any tips?

Last edited:
Problem with the MAK Group C.....downloaded all three files from here as winrar files. However, when I tried to open with winrar, the response is "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged". When I tried to open with the archive option, "no archives found".

I did download the files in sequence and intened to open them one at a time starting with download 1 but see above.

Any tips?
If it is a multipart ZIP archive, you usually only need to open the first part with 7zip. It should automatically recognize the other parts in the same folder.

If it is a multipart ZIP archive, you usually only need to open the first part with 7zip. It should automatically recognize the other parts in the same folder.

Sometimes older version will not unpack an archive made with new version.

Something GTR233 has stressed for years with all the problems people have extracting his Anniversary mods.

Thank you, gentlemen. My winrar needed an update. I had saved the 3 part winrar and the single file from mega. Double checked my winrar and it was in fact out of date, at least for this/these file(s) just like you suggested Mr. Driven. The updated winrar opened both the 3 part (automatically for the 2nd & 3rd parts as Mr. Majuh said) and the mega just fine. Put the rf file in packages, started the game, told it to go ahead and install, and blasted around Kyalmi for 5Ls in the Sauber. Thanks for the help; whenever I stumble it is almost always something obvious instead of the sim itself so thanks for showing the way.

As for this mod itself: wow! This is brilliant! The feel/immersion of the car was amazing, at the level if not better than PTC by Team Virtua for F1C. This is a great piece of work! Very much looking forward to driving this.

So here's a relatively straight forward question unlike my previous ones where generous folks had to surmise what I was doing wrong. When I subscribe to something in the steam workshop, what happens? Can I unsubscribe down the road? For example, I subscribed to GTPC but I dont know what happens next. With so much content available for rF2, seems like it would easy to subscribe to so much stuff it could become unmanageable. Any insights on the workshop subscription deal? Thanks in advance.

So here's a relatively straight forward question unlike my previous ones where generous folks had to surmise what I was doing wrong. When I subscribe to something in the steam workshop, what happens? Can I unsubscribe down the road? For example, I subscribed to GTPC but I dont know what happens next. With so much content available for rF2, seems like it would easy to subscribe to so much stuff it could become unmanageable. Any insights on the workshop subscription deal? Thanks in advance.

Yes , if you hover over the subscribe button it will say unsubscribe, just click it next time you shut down the content will be removed.

However there is a proviso, if you have rfmods enabled.
In this case the content will still be unsubscribed and the download removed from the workshop folder but the installed folder will still remain.
As soon as you uninstall the rfmod the content it's using that you unsubscribed will be removed from the installed folder as well.

Most sims have too much content to ever use.
If you have the bandwidth and storage why not ?
What I like to do is set a standard track say Lime Rock no chicanes with heavy rubber for good grip. I will then try a new car as it comes no setup changes 100% AI and do 5 lap race. So just boot room straight to race touch nothing + 5 lap race will take 5 minutes. You can test 12 mods a hour that way and sooner or later some will jump out at you.

I don't understand what you mean on "workshop subscription deal"
I have found the majority of workshop content good.
Just depends how much time you have what you after
I have done 2.500 hours in steam and probably 10,000 hours before steam.

All cars and tracks tells me I have 161 tracks and 386 cars which isn't correct as it treats each class as a car.

I don't use " all cars and tracks"
I have 21 rfmods I use, 4 are Carrera Cup seasons only because you can't add different versions of the same car into one mod, plus it would mix AU, GB and BR tracks together, messy.
The rest are various categories, historic ow, historic sports, historic endurance, modern ow, that contain relevant content say 10 to 40 tracks in each depending.

I also have a lot of content sits in "UNUSED CONTENT"
This is because there comes a time with most gmotor sims that when you get too much content installed it starts to negatively impact startup and shutdown of sessions.
That is why I use rfmods, by limiting the content in them you are not reloading all cars and tracks every time you you boot rF2, it's a trade off.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Driven.

The potential scope or range of rF2 for cars, series, etc is limitless, and your approach makes sense.

When I wrote "workshop subscription deal", I meant what subscribing to something in the workshop involves. Thanks for cluing me in!

Thanks Mr. Driven.

The potential scope or range of rF2 for cars, series, etc is limitless, and your approach makes sense.

When I wrote "workshop subscription deal", I meant what subscribing to something in the workshop involves. Thanks for cluing me in!

For mod ideas: Open workshop, scroll down the bottom and click on:
"Per page 30" and "See all 936 items " ( as of today )
Scroll back to top and click on Sort by: Most Popular and Over time period: All time.
Then do 12months and 3 months this will give you many options you probably have not even seen as yet.

Using the search bar in workshop may also surprise.

You can't own rF2 without testing Isle of Man :coffee:

Untitled 1.jpg

Last edited:
Need some guidance on a steering issue. My wheel/pedals is a Logitech Driving Force GT. The disk for the Logitech profiler is long gone. Anyway, the wheel/pedals work just fine without the Logitech profiler on other sims. My problem is the steering wheel has a lot of "play" in it. For instance, if I turn left, I have to crank a lot of input to turn left. Attached is a pic of my settings. Initially, the steering sensitivity was at 100 and I thought lowering it might help but at 20% still the same problem turning. Fine in a straight line; turns are the issue....for older folks here, like when real cars has a lot of play in the steering wheel. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1868 (1).jpg

The disk for the Logitech profiler is long gone. Anyway, the wheel/pedals work just fine without the Logitech profiler on other sims.

You still want to download and install the software, you need to make adjustments before rF2 controller settings.

It may seem to work fine but you are using the Logitech default settings for every sim.

Make sure to click on 64 Bit.

P.S. Another reason to have software loaded is so you can check anytime for wheel and pedal calibration, is wheel centred, are peals spiking, are pedals getting full travel, etc. Windows game controller and / or in game controllers can sometimes exacerbate the levels shown so you always use the default software to check these things.

After you install software reboot start wheel start software and check calibration.

Now start rFactor2.
Very first thing go into controller assignments and set the wheel and pedal inputs.
Turn full left and full right when asked not halfway.
Fully depress pedals when asked and fully lift your foot off pedals.
Make sure wheel and pedals get full travel ie: 0% and 100%

Only now do you check and change settings in controller main window.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mr. Driven. I'll follow up after the download & install of the software. You do realize that the way you phrased your advice means I'll have to ask after starting rF2? :) Pretty amazing array of options/settings.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.